PDA

View Full Version : Question about mdl files

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
January 11th, 2011, 16:31
How do you re-work mdl files?

wolfi
January 12th, 2011, 11:41
well, it depends about that what you like to rework, it's possible to convert the mdl from FS2004 to CFS2, to add shine it's even possible to remove the virtual cockpit, but if you like to rework the whole aircraft it's not possible, because therefore you need a design program like FSDS or Gmax and the source file of the aircraft you like to rework, so far I know, it's not possible to recompile an MDL to a source file. Also I think every designer would be very unhappy if someone used their work.

wolfi

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
January 13th, 2011, 03:55
Lets say i want to modify the amount of blades for the partial blur of the default george.

How will i do that?

Oglivie
January 13th, 2011, 13:51
Boeing,

The B24 Guy has a reworked stock George that has the prop fix included if you would like that one at this link:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=7664

Kelticheart prop & exhaust effects are also available at this link:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=47&linkid=543

Oglivie

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
January 13th, 2011, 15:17
<sigh> here we go again. How many of you notice there are 3 blades in the following Picture?!28124

Oglivie
January 13th, 2011, 15:37
The B24 Guy's reworked stock default George (at the link in post above):

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
January 14th, 2011, 03:43
I know there are four blades in your pic.

But in my pic, there are three blades during the starting procedure.
28159 I Have TheB24Guys reworked model and it goes from 4 static blades to three partially blurred blades to four fully blurred blades.

Oglivie
February 1st, 2011, 12:37
BvA,

I took a look at the scasm code, very complex compared to models I have worked on. It could be corrected but with much time envolvement. I consider the prop to be a very minor flaw compared to the time envolved to correct it, and is not very noticeable or time lasting event in the sim. The original author, or someone with more expertise in this type of code would be better suited to make an upgraded model to correct the prop blurr, or offer advice as to how to fix it.

Thanks for your patience, it took some time for me to get back to this because of other commitments and projects.

Oglivie
:salute:

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 1st, 2011, 14:58
thanks oglivie.

And i have another question.

How do you adjust the model so it isn't transparent or translucent?

Rami
February 1st, 2011, 15:37
Boeing,

If you're referring to being able to see through the textures, that's not likely a model problem. That is probably the result of the textures being saved in a 32-bit format, something that CFS2 does not handle too well. What you would need to do is to download Martin Wright DXTbmp utility...

http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm

...and save the individual texture bitmaps which are translucent / transparent in a format that is more friendly to CFS2, such as DXT3.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 2nd, 2011, 06:08
i did that and the planes (alpha p-51d) won't show up.

gavinc
February 2nd, 2011, 06:41
i did that and the planes (alpha p-51d) won't show up.

What exactly is "that", what format did you save the files in?

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 2nd, 2011, 08:15
I converted the textures to dxt3 and the plane is the Alphasim P-51D including a converted model of the Mustang. Mk.IV

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 2nd, 2011, 12:16
The textures were the same dimensions as the cfs2 alpha p-51d. and i still see through it.

sc7500
February 2nd, 2011, 13:23
In my recent conversion projects I've noticed a need to mod the exiting texture files in some FS2002 and 2004 aircraft - the main body and wind BMPs have an Alpha channel that makes fuselages and wings look transparent in CFS2.

[In FS2002-04, this Alpha is designed to add specular shine - however, CFS2 uses components in the MDL file to control shine]

What I've done is to open the individual texture BMPs with DXTBMP, send the Alpha channel of each "offending" file to my Editor [in my case, PSP9], make the Alpha file PURE WHITE, reload in DXTBMP and save the entire file as a DXT3.

No more Ghost Planes....

REMEMBER - Before modding ANY texture file, ALWAYS make a complete backup set for "Just in Case" !!!!!

SC
:kilroy:

dvslats
February 3rd, 2011, 02:37
Hi Guys,

If you like, Jaxon has a good explanation on his web site. Here (http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Tips.html)

Look down this page for V) Alphachannel

It'll save ya some time doing the process.

Dave

gavinc
February 3rd, 2011, 04:45
I converted the textures to dxt3 and the plane is the Alphasim P-51D including a converted model of the Mustang. Mk.IV

DXT3 still has the shaded alpha channel that will appear as transparent.

You will need to explicitly remove the Alpha channel either by saving the file as DXT1 no Alpha or by replacing the alpha channel. I find the easiest way to do this is to use DXTBMP and use the "Create Alpha Channel (Green)" menu item (there usually isn't any elements of a bmp that are the specific green colour that DXTBMP is looking for) then you can save the revised bmp as a DXT3.

It is easy to see if it works, when you open a bmp in DXTBMP you will see a greyscale image in the little alpha screen in the top right, after you make the changes then the content of this area should be white.

Gavin

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 3rd, 2011, 08:56
I changed the alpha channel to pure white and now it is solved.

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
February 21st, 2011, 08:07
BvA,

I took a look at the scasm code, very complex compared to models I have worked on. It could be corrected but with much time envolvement. I consider the prop to be a very minor flaw compared to the time envolved to correct it, and is not very noticeable or time lasting event in the sim. The original author, or someone with more expertise in this type of code would be better suited to make an upgraded model to correct the prop blurr, or offer advice as to how to fix it.
:salute:

How's progress doing to you, oglivie?