Paul Anderson
January 11th, 2011, 15:31
http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/SUPERGT/3384/

Warrant
January 11th, 2011, 15:37
Wow, great pilot!

Bone
January 11th, 2011, 16:36
Kudos to the pilot, although his wing man was very annoying with all of his prompting ... "OK good job, now get it stopped" ect. I don't think he really needed to be on the radio saying crap like that.

harrybasset
January 11th, 2011, 22:38
The pilot was prompted to jettison his drop tanks, I wonder if anyone got a nasty surprise?

JAllen
January 12th, 2011, 06:58
Saw a similar video where the pilot stops the F-16 with the sun at his back. The shadow on the ground shows the canopy opening. Someone says "Is the APU running?" Pilot exclaims in a squeak "Oh ****" and the canopy closes. Then the video stops. A well placed prompt can save a serious injury to one who 99.99% of the time is a fine professional.

Jim

AndyE1976
January 12th, 2011, 07:20
Excellent video, makes me want to fire up the Aerosoft F16 and see what size hole in the ground I would have made :)

Bone
January 12th, 2011, 07:46
Saw a similar video where the pilot stops the F-16 with the sun at his back. The shadow on the ground shows the canopy opening. Someone says "Is the APU running?" Pilot exclaims in a squeak "Oh ****" and the canopy closes. Then the video stops. A well placed prompt can save a serious injury to one who 99.99% of the time is a fine professional.

Jim

Being helpful is great, and in an emergency having help is the way to go. But the guy was barking out orders to everyone...to ATC and the guy who had the engine failure. Listen to the way he was talking to Elizabeth Tower...he was repeating himself, and his tone was like an ass. He had declared an emergency to the contoller on the previous frequency, and then he did it twice more after he checked on with Elizabeth tower "hey! this is an emergency, ya got that!?" Once you've declared an emergency you're tagged, and it follows you to the next frequency, you don't keep doing it. The ATC controllers and the guy who had the engine failure were pretty calm and and their tones were under control. The last thing you wan't in an emergency is someone who barks out like that...you need a calm demeanor.

I'm quite familiar with the species that the wing man sounded like..the Type-A micro manager that'll tell you how to tie your shoe.

JAllen
January 12th, 2011, 08:12
Sorry there Bone. By your post I see what you mean.

JAllen
January 12th, 2011, 08:18
Hey Andy, go 25nm west of Kunsan AB and start at 19,000. Its fun!

txnetcop
January 12th, 2011, 09:00
I can't think of anything to increase the "pucker factor" more than a dead stick landing military or civilian!
Ted

falcon409
January 12th, 2011, 09:37
Being helpful is great, and in an emergency having help is the way to go. But the guy was barking out orders to everyone...to ATC and the guy who had the engine failure. Listen to the way he was talking to Elizabeth Tower...he was repeating himself, and his tone was like an ass. He had declared an emergency to the contoller on the previous frequency, and then he did it twice more after he checked on with Elizabeth tower "hey! this is an emergency, ya got that!?" Once you've declared an emergency you're tagged, and it follows you to the next frequency, you don't keep doing it. The ATC controllers and the guy who had the engine failure were pretty calm and and their tones were under control. The last thing you wan't in an emergency is someone who barks out like that...you need a calm demeanor.

I'm quite familiar with the species that the wing man sounded like..the Type-A micro manager that'll tell you how to tie your shoe.
I had the same reaction to the wingman. . .wow, shut up already, lol. I think they understand by now that this is an emergency. Also, I doubt that the airport he landed at has F-16's shooting touch n' go's all day either, so after the first call, I'll bet everyone's eyes were on the rwy and every ear was monitoring the radio calls, lol.:salute:

Roadburner440
January 12th, 2011, 16:37
As annoying as the Wingman is I am pretty sure it is standard protocol. Like how we have the PNF reading the emergency checklists to the PF (after memory items are accomplished of course).. In the F-16 you don't have that luxury so I imagine they have their wingman read the emergency checklist after they have accomplished the memory items so that way they don't miss a critical step. Annoying yes, but in that type of situation I would want all the help I could get. Kudos to the pilot for a safe landing.

Bone
January 12th, 2011, 17:01
As annoying as the Wingman is I am pretty sure it is standard protocol. Like how we have the PNF reading the emergency checklists to the PF (after memory items are accomplished of course).. In the F-16 you don't have that luxury so I imagine they have their wingman read the emergency checklist after they have accomplished the memory items so that way they don't miss a critical step. Annoying yes, but in that type of situation I would want all the help I could get. Kudos to the pilot for a safe landing.

Hey Roadburner, what up?

I operate in a multi-crew environement myself, and the PF/PNF duties are there because it's, well, a multi-crew environement. Single seat fighters are not multi-crew (obviously), they're trained to handle their own emergencies. Although there may be a protocol for wing-man help when dealing with emergencies, I would bet it's limited, and it's doubtful that checklists are read over the radio...it's not like it's an intercom. The wing-man in this case had some really bad radio etiquette, which sounded to me like borderline panic. I've got a lot of talking/listening on the radio time, and quite a number of inflight emergencies...sorry, but that guy was a bozo.