PDA

View Full Version : The newcomer and his fast diver

metros-64
January 11th, 2011, 11:27
Hi, from LFBO-France
Yesterday I became a new member
Why ?

My first real airplane was a control-line Curtis Helldiver powered by a huge COX ( 0.08 ci !)
He dived very well but fast and soon at the end of his first turn, unfortunately, half a century ago.
Yersterday here I fund a nice one in your deep archives, the Wolfi’s plane,.
How many jowels like this one do they hide ?

I know my English is ‘light’, so I draw you a picture to explain what I mean

But mine was dark green, so I download the paint-kit too and go back to Corel-Draw.

Is there anybody here who can send me [XXX .air] and [YYY .cfg] for a circling-flight fighter ? :applause: :jump:
(for FS-2004 of course, my FSX is still in his box cause of my old PC)

Thanks to Mariereid for his ‘Welcome’
Chears,
Patrick

OBIO
January 11th, 2011, 14:40
metros-64

Welcome to SOH and the FS2004 forum. You will not regret joining. Lot's of great people on this site, a ton of tweaks and tips and knowledge is shared freely and honestly, tons and tons of great planes, scenery packages and such to be found.

Don't worry about your English....I am sure your English is a lot better than my French. This is an international forum, with members from around the world. We may speak different languages, but we all speak AIRPLANES and FLIGHT. And that is what binds us together as one big "family".

I'm not sure what you were asking when you were looking for a air and config file set for a circling-flight fighter. If you want the Helldiver to fly in circles around your airport, then that needs to be done through AI flight planning...and that is WAY beyond my abilities to even comprehend, let alone explain. But I am sure one of the forum regulars will come along and have an answer for you soon.

OBIO

hawkeye52
January 11th, 2011, 17:08
Bienvenu, metros-64. You have come to The Right Place.

PS: don't fret your English; most of us here are pretty "light" as well. LOL :applause:

- H52

stansdds
January 12th, 2011, 10:15
Welcome to SOH! There is so much good (and free) stuff around here that you will be busy for months. :wiggle:

Wild Bill Kelso
January 12th, 2011, 10:40
Salu, Patrick et bienvenu à notre circle! :wavey:

Apropos "circle":

My first real airplane was a control-line Curtis Helldiver ...
Is there anybody here who can send me [XXX .air] and [YYY .cfg] for a circling-flight fighter?

May I take a guess here to clear up this slight embarrassment?
I presume you're talking about a model aircraft tied to a rope (pour toi: "longe"). Some folks still let their horses run around in circles...:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltige_en_cercle

I've heard about these aircraft of the pre-radiocontrolled era, turning the operator some kind of dizzy, n'est pas? :isadizzy:

Found the english term: "Captive plane":
http://www.fesselflug.eu/html/english_home.html

Never heard of a FS aircraft set up to simulate that kind of pattern but it would be fun to look at...

Salu,
Markus.

Z-claudius24
January 12th, 2011, 11:21
Hi,

Wikipedia :)

Control Line

Main article: Control line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_line)
Also referred to as U-Control in the USA, it was pioneered by the late Jim Walker who often, for show, flew three models at a time. Normally the model is flown in a circle and controlled by a pilot in the center holding a handle connected to two thin steel wires. The wires connect through the inboard wing tip of the plane to a mechanism that translates the handle movement to the aircraft elevator, allowing maneuvers to be performed along the aircraft pitch axis. The pilot will turn to follow the model going round, the convention being anti-clockwise for upright level flight
For the conventional control-line system, tension in the lines is required to provide control. Line tension is maintained largely by centrifugal force (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force). To increase line tension, models may be built or adjusted in various ways. Rudder offset and thrust vectoring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_vectoring) (tilting the engine toward the outside) yaw the model outward. The position where the lines exit the wing can compensate for the tendency of the aerodynamic drag of the lines to yaw the model inboard. Weight on the outside wing, an inside wing that is longer or has more lift than the outside wing (or even no outside wing at all) and the torque of a left rotating propeller (or flying clockwise) tend to roll the model toward the outside. Wing tip weights, propeller torque, and thrust vectoring are more effective when the model is going slowly, while rudder offset and other aerodynamic effects have more influence on a fast moving model.
Since its introduction, control line flying has developed into a competition sport. There are contest categories for control line models, including Speed, Aerobatics (AKA Stunt), Racing, Navy Carrier, Balloon Bust, Scale, and Combat. There are variations on the basic events, including divisions by engine size and type, skill categories, and age of model design.
The events originated largely in the United States, and were later adapted for use internationally. The rules for US Competition are available from the Academy of Model Aeronautics. The international rules are defined by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI). World Championships are held semiannually throughout the world, most recently in 2008 in France, with a limited slate of events - special varieties of Racing (F2C or "Team Race"), combat (F2D), and speed (F2A), all limited to engines displacing 0.15 cu. in (2.5cc), and Stunt (F2b) which is essentially unlimited with regard to design and size.
Team Race
The international class of racing is referred to as F2C (F2 = Control-line, C=racing) or Team Race. A pilot and a mechanic compete as a team to fly small (370 grams)(13 oz.) 65 cm (25 in.) wingspan semi-scale racing models over a tarmac or concrete surface. Lines are 15.92 meters long (52.231 ft).
Three pilots, plus mechanic teams, compete simultaneously in the same circle, and the object is to finish the determined course as fast as possible. Tank size is limited to 7 cc, thus 2-3 pitstops for refueling are needed during the race.
The mechanic stands at a pit area outside the marked flight circle. The engine will be started and the model released at the start signal. For refuelling, the pilot will operate a fuel shutoff by a quick down elevator movement after the planned number of laps so that the model can approach the mechanic at optimum speed, around 50 km/h (30 mph). The mechanic will catch the model by the wing, fill the tank from a pressurized can by a hose and finger valve, then restart the engine by hitting the carbon fiber/epoxy resin propeller with his finger. Ground time of a good pitstop is less than three seconds.
The race course is 10 km, corresponding to 100 laps. Flying speeds are around 200 km/h (125 mph), which means that the pilots have to turn one lap in 1.8 seconds. Line pull due to centrifugal force is 85 N (17 lb). A faster model will overtake by the pilot steering it above the slower one while he moves his handle with lines over the opponent pilot's head.
After two rounds of elimination heats, the 6, 9 or 12 fastest teams enter two semifinal rounds, and the three fastest teams in the semifinals go to the final, which is run over the double course.
Maximum engine size is 2.5 cc (.15 cu.in.). Diesel, i.e. compression ignition engines are used. They are single cylinder two-stroke, designed for this purpose. At the world championship level it is not uncommon that the competitors design and build their own engines. Their output power is approaching .8 horsepower at 25,000 rpm.
When young .. I made Team Racing competition at my national level ... (For the officionados ....I used 2.5 customized Webra and Rossi engines )
Was never qualified in position to compete world championship level tough :)
Yes will be nice to have a mimick of this in FS2004 :)

metros-64
January 12th, 2011, 12:10
What’s prettier than ‘light’ when talking about airplane ? ;-)

I was joking when I said ‘Circling-flight model’ (refer to control-line aircraft)
But OBIO is right when he talks about AI traffic around airport because it is my next challenge (a little airfield plenty of touch-and-go to stress me on approach)

Few ( ?) years ago I used to fly on Amiga-64, than Atari-ST , …and FS-98
Back with FS 2004 since this summer after a stop of … 10 years !
I have just put my fingers in [.air] , Panels and textures until now.
I’ll need some H-E-L-P :-(

Thanks you for friendly words

ThinkingManNeil
January 12th, 2011, 12:36
Welcome to the group. Metros! I owned a Cox Ju-87 Stuka powered by an .049. Cut the lengths of control line wrong and the thing went almost straight up on takeoff, so in a mad panic I start grabbing line like trying to reel in a kite! You can only imagine what happened next - SPLAT!!!

Enjoy the group!

N.

metros-64
January 12th, 2011, 13:17
Yes will be nice to have a mimick of this in FS2004 :)

Happy to see here C-line pilots.
Yes it would be a great challenge to create a plane who fly only around the control-tower, the stick used only for up and down. ( then we race, we fight …)

But I am sure that nobody here is able to do that !
Who take the bet ? :wiggle:

Clarke123
January 12th, 2011, 15:53
What’s prettier than ‘light’ when talking about airplane ? ;-)

I was joking when I said ‘Circling-flight model’ (refer to control-line aircraft)
But OBIO is right when he talks about AI traffic around airport because it is my next challenge (a little airfield plenty of touch-and-go to stress me on approach)

Few ( ?) years ago I used to fly on Amiga-64, than Atari-ST , …and FS-98
Back with FS 2004 since this summer after a stop of … 10 years !
I have just put my fingers in [.air] , Panels and textures until now.
I’ll need some H-E-L-P :-(

Thanks you for friendly words
OK here is a little tutorial for a simple touch & go flightplan. First make three text files named Aircraft, Airports and FlightPlans. You can add names on the end to distinguish between different traffic files, for example, Aircraft_touch&go. AI flightplans are like a code and everything has to be in the right place for it to work even down to the capital letters in the names of the text files above.
In the Aircraft text file you tell the flightplan which aircraft to use like this...
AC#1,115,"Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"
AC# has to be in order like 1,2,3,4 not 3,1,4,2
The rest you get from the aircraft.cfg file of the plane you're using. The 115 is the cruise speed listed under the [Reference Speeds]. "Cessna Skyhawk 172SP" is the title of the fltsim entry. The commas and quotation marks are essential.
In the Airport text file is the airports you want the AI to fly from like this....
EGCC,N53* 21.20',W2* 16.47',256
First is the ICAO code of the airport, followed by the GPS coordinates and the field elevation.
In the FlightPlan text you tell the AI what to do like this....
AC#1,N176CM,20%,24Hr,VFR,09:29:53,TNG09:51:37,030, R,0526,EGCC,09:54:00,10:16:44,030,R,0526,EGCC
The AC#1 refers to the number of the aircraft you're using from the Aircraft text. N176CM is just the registration number. 20% refers to the traffic density setting in the sim, it has to be above the number in the FlightPlan for it to show. 24Hr is for how frequent the AI will fly, either 2Hr, 4Hr, 8Hr, 12Hr, 24Hr or WEEK. VFR or IFR. Next is the time of departure, this is always in GMT so adjust accordingly. The next is the arrival time but in this plan we have put TNG in front of it, this tells the aircraft that on arrival it performs a touch & go. Next is the Cruising altitude written as flight level. In this case it is 3000ft. The R is how the ATC will adress the plane R uses it registration number from earlier in the flightplan. If you change it to F it will use the flight number which is the number you put after this letter. EGCC is the ICAO code of the destination airport. After this is the return leg, for TNG flightplans seperate the TNG by a couple of minutes. One more important thing, the last airport in the flightplan is the one the aircraft will start at. Then you compile these three text files using TTools by Lee Swordy available here
Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - AI Flight Plans (http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fs2004ai) Traffic Tools v2.02 http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=34731) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=34731)
File Description:
De-compiler and compiler to program the AI traffic in FS2004 and FS2002. This release also includes an airport collector utility for FS2004 and FS2002.

Filename:ttools202.zipLicense:FreewareAdded:16th August 2003Downloads:88342Author:Lee SwordySize:167kb
If any of that is unclear or you have any problems let us know and we'll see you straight.

metros-64
January 13th, 2011, 09:48
a little tutorial for a simple touch & go flightplan...

I am just talking about something I dream but have never seen before, and I have a Tuto for me.
Now I already have ‘grain to grind’ as we say here.
I begin my work

What a Forum ! !
Thanks a lot to speedy Clarke 123