PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using one of those laptop air cards

hey_moe
January 11th, 2011, 02:45
Last night I decided to get one of those air cards and service for my Apple laptop. I was wondering if any of you guys use this service and what ya think of it.

Lateral-G
January 11th, 2011, 03:16
I used one several years ago. It used the sim card from my cell phone and plugged into the PCMI slot on my laptop. Data rate was slow at the time (before 3G) but if you weren't trying to stream video from places like youtube it was OK. It was nice on road trips because you could surf the web while going down the interstate (as long as you had cell coverage and someone else was driving ;) )

I imagine now with 3G data rates you will experience the same level of service as with a smart phone. At the present time your data rate won't be any better then what your particular carrier offers. Wi-Fi will have higher data rates but the air card is good for when Wi-Fi isn't available.

Since I got my Android about a year and a half ago I haven't used my air card. No real need.....

hope this helped.

-G-

b52bob
January 11th, 2011, 12:01
I Have the AT&T air card, came free with the contract. Right now, the contract is up and I'm searching for something less expensive ($60/mo for 5 gigs). Works OK but again. pretty expensive.
Bob

hey_moe
January 11th, 2011, 13:30
Well I should get the USB Air card tommorrow. I will see if it does what I want it to do. I got thirty days to make my mind up. I tried to get the 4gig card but according to the coverage map it's not in my area yet....waaaaaa...Mike

hey_moe
January 13th, 2011, 03:08
Well yesterday morning I got the card. It seems it is a wireless hub with a battery in it. You can either plug it into a USB outlet and charge it and also use it or just set it on your dash and use it as a wireless wifi. Also 5 other pooter or phones can hook into it at one time. It says it hold a 3 hour charge. I am looking forward to trying it out today being since I am running a rural route today.:jump:

Bjoern
January 13th, 2011, 11:20
If you mean UMTS compatibility; my dad has a card for his business laptop together with a flatrate. This makes for unlimited surfing wherever there is an UMTS network in reach...and that's nearly anwhere.
Very useful!