PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Terrain X and Ground Environment X

Murray Cod
November 29th, 2008, 13:15
I am a bit (well actually a lot) of a novice on FSX add-ons. Ultimate Terrain X and Ground Environment X appear to me to both improve the terrain / auto-gen scenery. If I am reading their 'features' blurb correctly, Ultimate Terrain X would seem to do what GEX does, but also does a bit more again.

So if I have some $ burning a hole in my wallet, would I be better to buy UTX?

Would I be missing anything significant by not getting GEX?

thanks in advance
MC

stiz
November 29th, 2008, 13:24
basicly:

Ground Enviroment X changes the ground textures
Ultimate Terrain X tells where the textures to go, but also includes a few (roads, rail stuff like that) textures so that things look better with UTX

bkeske
November 29th, 2008, 13:26
They are both 'must haves' IMO, and they do do two completely different things.

UT improves the scenery 'outlines' (shorelines; lakes, etc). and adds all rivers, small lakes, roads, railroads, and much more, including custom lighting and some improvements to water textures...as example.

GEX is simply ground textures, but are very much improved over the defaults.

Cazzie
November 29th, 2008, 13:39
Murray, I have both for the USA along with FSGenesis's 9.6-meter DEM mesh. of the two, I would definitely say that UTX is more bang for your buck.

Caz

harleyman
November 29th, 2008, 13:43
To me they are both worth every penny they cost.....Plus they both go together so well......

I too have FSGenesis Mesh ......

guzler
November 29th, 2008, 14:07
If you have to choose, go for UTX first....

Improves coastlines, adds roads, adds great night lighting.

Just spent the last hour pottering round the UK, enjoying the dusk views, although over the legal limit to fly :isadizzy:

Murray Cod
November 30th, 2008, 01:42
thanks everyone - I'm glad I asked the question. I have placed my order for UTX, and will put GEX in my list on 'nice-to-haves' when the money allows (after REX and a few other things).

cheers
MC