PDA

View Full Version : Backing up FSX

MarkH
January 10th, 2011, 00:15
Following-up on the recent discussion, here's what I did.

ltn_o-6o5zM

Z-AZ1USN
January 10th, 2011, 11:20
Following-up on the recent discussion, here's what I did.

ltn_o-6o5zM

Thanks for your info however,

you have a completely different setup than most people.. you have a dedicated system just for FSX and simply restore the entire computer. That's a good (yet seemingly obvious) thing to do if one has a dedicated system.

But the whole reason people talk about incremental and other forms (that you dismisses in the video) is because they either do not have a dedicated system or they do and it changes at least semi-frequently.

Apples to Oranges.. Oh well.

I think thats why the few people I've seen to give advice say to simply start fresh with the CDs or do a full followed by a series incrementals..
incremental backups would probably work to some degree.. but would have a lot of overhead.. especially if the environment (planes, scenery, etc) are being constantly added..

backups are the easiest when there isn't a lot of file change.. or (like you said) you are simply restoring everything..

Cheers
:wavey:

spotlope
January 10th, 2011, 15:31
Very helpful, Mark. Thank you! I've got a dedicated FSX system as well, so your technique could well be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm off to buy a pair of small USB drives right now. :salute:

MarkH
January 10th, 2011, 22:55
Very helpful, Mark. Thank you! I've got a dedicated FSX system as well, so your technique could well be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm off to buy a pair of small USB drives right now. :salute:

Good luck Bill! And don't forget that there's always another level of detail. For example, the WD 'MyPassport' drives appear to be complete clones of each other - including the 16-bit signature word. This means you can't plug them both in at the same time, or at least not until you force Windows to reinitialize one of them. So I had to get a WD utility program and spend five hours writing zeros to one drive, which made Windows treat it as uninitialized and write a new signature to it.

MarkH
January 11th, 2011, 09:17
you have a dedicated system just for FSX and simply restore the entire computer. That's a good (yet seemingly obvious) thing to do if one has a dedicated system.

But the whole reason people talk about incremental and other forms (that you dismisses in the video) is because they either do not have a dedicated system or they do and it changes at least semi-frequently.

I think this kind of backup can apply to any system, although the details will be different. As media become cheaper, the need for incremental techniques seems less pressing and for many users I wonder if it introduces more potential for problems than it is worth.

Warrant
January 11th, 2011, 13:00
Nice rig and setup! The 3 top screens connected with triplehead2go? How did you connect the top view screen on the left bottom? :wavey:

MarkH
January 11th, 2011, 13:12
Nice rig and setup! The 3 top screens connected with triplehead2go? How did you connect the top view screen on the left bottom? :wavey:

TH2GO, yes. The bottom left screen is running Plan-G on a separate computer.