PDA

View Full Version : FSX performance and AV programs

captdoug
January 9th, 2011, 21:15
Hello,

Question... Im currently using AVG AV 2011 Free on an MS XP OS with my FSX.

Recently I noticed some issues with this product mention on some FSX forums.

I haven't encountered any specific issues, however I was considering switching to AVAST
and was wondering if this AV program has more or less impact on FSX than AVG.

Both offer a gaming mode. Do others disable the AV just while running FSX?

Im looking for the best AV and that works well with least negative impact on FSX performance.

Thanks Captdoug

icarus
January 9th, 2011, 21:57
free best one is avira and no impact extremely light it updates definitions also many times during the day

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

in my opinion is really underrated, if can help you i works with systems since 1996, i have experiences as webadmin, programs (i have knowleadge of tons) and last but not least aircrafts,sceneries since CFS1

in my opinion and for free if you have avira and more better also comodo firewall (this really fantastic and miles better than zone alarm) nothing pass on your computer, i run each also on the oldest one of my three pc with fsx without problems. It's three years i am using and no problems at all.

Lotus
January 9th, 2011, 22:10
Hi CaptDoug. I've been using Eset's Smart Security (nod32) for a few years, and in that time absolutely nothing has gotten past it. It can be set to ignore file calls from selected folders (ie: the FSX one) so that it doesn't impact performance at all when running the sim, but I haven't seen any slowdown even without such exclusions. It isn't cheap, $50ish a year, but so far it's been bulletproof and entirely unobtrusive, surprisingly so actually. I occasionally run a full scan using Malwarebytes as well, but it never turns up anything except the odd false positive. Worth a look maybe.

http://www.eset.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

-Mike

SpaceWeevil
January 9th, 2011, 22:34
If you ask about AV you'll get as many answers as people who reply! I switched from Kaspersky to Microsoft Security Essentials a few months back. It's simple and unobtrusive and I can't detect any effect on FSX.

Kiwikat
January 9th, 2011, 22:58
I use Vipre from Sunbelt Software. Every benchmark I've seen shows that it has the least performance impact of any AV/firewall software.

I've never got any bugs with it either.

Aviator32
January 9th, 2011, 23:42
Never use any of them, never had a problem.

expat
January 10th, 2011, 00:54
I have had AVG for years and have no problems. Also had Avast (when AVG was not free for a spell) and that worked but did have some issues on scanning on startup etc and having to turn it off each time I ran FS.

With AVG, you want don't want to run FSX when it is doing a routine scan, so set it to do that at say 3am each day. If while simming it picks up a threat it will kick in to scan mode but you will probably wish it to anyway.

In the task manager you can see your AV and other programs running in the background. Clicking on "memory" or "peak memory" at the top will list them in order of usage, i.e. high memory using programs will affect your FSX performance and FPS.

Stay with AVG.

orionll
January 10th, 2011, 01:00
Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials here. Works nicely, without any nagging or performance impact.

gigabyte
January 10th, 2011, 01:10
If you ask about AV you'll get as many answers as people who reply! I switched from Kaspersky to Microsoft Security Essentials a few months back. It's simple and unobtrusive and I can't detect any effect on FSX.

I have to agree with SpaceWeevil, there are all kinds of good AV apps out there and we already see several different suggestions. The fact of the matter is there is no "Best of Breed" and a lot depends on how your system is configured and used, and how you have the browser set up, I have seen AVG and AVAST completely bog down systems and I have seen both have no noticable impact with a properly configured system. The bottom line you should keep in mind for yourself - "If it ain't Broke Don't Fix it" - if you are not having performance problems with AVG on your system and it is protecting it do not let what others complain about cause you concern.

BTW I have 25 years in the Computer business and have seen A LOT... I have always had very good luck with AVG on Win XP and I use it on the 3 systems I have that still run XP, for my Vista and Win 7 machines I am using MS Security Essentials and they are performing very very well. I will say this for MS Security Essentials, it is developed by MS and I believe it integrates itself with the OS better than third party applications - but that is only my opinion.

txnetcop
January 10th, 2011, 01:41
Microsoft Security Essentials here-no issues to report! I test equipment and software for computer parts mfgs and so far ESET and Microsoft Essentials has done the best non-intrusive software for hardware while still offering great protection.

WARNING!!!
Do not follow the advice of you don't need A/V ware on your computer.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/13_scariest_computer_viruses

Ted

icarus
January 10th, 2011, 01:50
dont want be polemic but seems people don't remember this with avg

AVG antivirus removes Windows system file

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-management/2008/11/11/avg-antivirus-removes-windows-system-file-39548112/

or this one

AVG update crashes Windows 7 64-bit systems

I remember when happened the first one problem on my old notebook that i use rarely because of a new one and there was AVG installed...it tried to cancel the system files...i blocked it and never more avg on one of my computers...i think is really not serious a program that cancel system files for error.

microsoft security essential is slow when update and don't have so good result seeing few trojans. I understand that most people do not encounter so many viruses and trojans as one working 14 hours daily with systems. so it can be good too essential.

and more on the website

http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/detection-test

On this site you will find independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software.
result on detecting new malware was
1.gdata
2. panda
3. avira and karspersky
4. sophos
5. eset nod and fsecure
6. bitdefender
7. Microsoft
8. Norton
9. k7
10.Avast

where is AVG? then if you want best one take G.data if you want one free avira

Bytheway many think that most important is the antivirus but firewall is important too and COMODO block also viruses and trojans scan etc, tried personaly in many cases.

my oldest pc is up since 2002, 10 hours at day with the same HD and was never formatted...perhaps there is a reason

warchild
January 10th, 2011, 02:35
Panda has also developed a free version of their software called Panda Cloud or something like that. I used it for a while on my computer and it was ok, but i really needed more professional protection with firewall and other additives to protect my work as i will usually get around four break in attemots per day and several viruses that try to sneak in with the mail..
The onlyy drawback for me otherwise was that it uses a cloud archetecture which means its communication with thousands of machines around th world. Thats good for anti virus as when something new hits the web, my machine knows about it in minutes, instead of days or weeks, but because of that, its also getting just a lil too close to big brother for my liking..

Francois
January 10th, 2011, 03:20
Been using Avast (free and Pro) on all of my machines and never had a problem except for one false positive a year ago.
It is easy on the performance.

Whatever you do; NEVER EVER use McAfee or Norton, they're just made to steel cycles from your PC and sell more 'cleaning and performance programs' ;-)

In a previous life I made deals with both of them and we had them running on some 40.000 PC's... but these were just running MS Office software. As soon as we needed some performance, those anti-virus programs were the first to go. Also because they install a LOT of crap all over your PC.

Bjoern
January 10th, 2011, 12:18
in my opinion is really underrated

It's quite popular here in Germany.

Overshoe
January 10th, 2011, 12:35
Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm running a network with 4 computers (well, only 3 at the moment, but that's another story) and have not had a problem since I changed over. It has done its job quietly with no false positives. It has a very small footprint and does not interfere with installs either. I have discarded as worse than useless over the years, Norton, Mcafee, AVG, CA, Zone Alarm and one I can't remember.

My best friend recommends Eset. I don't know anything about it.

captdoug
January 10th, 2011, 17:41
Thank you for the insight you have provided. perhaps I should have anticipated there is not just 1 or 2 AV programs that work particularly well with FSX from the standpoint of processor resource avialability.

I have no particular issue with AVG, althought I did see the recent post mentioned again here regarding a serious problem with Windows 7 on some machines. (hope I have spoken accurately).

I am just installed Avast on my notebook computer but it is a mute point because I don't run FSX on that unit.

Most importantly my question, is there 1 or maybe 2 AV programs that work well with FSX has been answered. There are actualy several programs and user specifcations and personal preference prevail.

Thanks again to all who answered,

Captdoug

pilottj
January 10th, 2011, 18:21
I originally had Mcafee when I signed up for Comcast but switched to MS Security Essentials (can't beat the price LOL)and have been quite happy with it.

I also have an old windows 2000 laptop that I use for guests, I tried AVG but it slowed it down a bit, Avast seems to work much better for older computers.

Cheers
TJ