PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience using the AI Static Object Maker yet?

Navy Chief
January 9th, 2011, 04:47
I downloaded this cool utility weeks ago, but have only just now tried it.

My goal is to create static A-7 Corsairs, so I can populate a flight line.

I downloaded Ito's Corsair II, thinking it should work ok. But am clueless how to go about this process.

If anyone has successfully used this program, and would be willing to give me some pointers, that would be awesome!

UPDATE: I am printing out the 14 pages of instruction, and going to try and figure this thing out! GASP! Reading instructions!

Thanks in advance.

NC

Dave Torkington
January 9th, 2011, 05:41
If anyone has successfully used this program, and would be willing to give me some pointers, that would be awesome!

Hi Navy Chief,

Yes, SAMM is a superb piece of software, I've used it in a few sceneries so far and found it works very well.

I think the actual creation of the static model is made very simple by the software, but placing it might be tricky if you don't have much experience of placing scenery objects in FS9 or FSX.

So, here's the way I do it...

Choose an FS9 or FSX model I want and put the aircraft in the correct sim as though you were going to fly it.

Open SAMM, choose 'Get Aircraft From' option FS9 or FSX, click Select and double click on the aircraft you wish to use as static.

Check the option you want visible for the AI, like tailhook down, doors open etc.

Click 'Save .mdl

Navigate to your SAMM program folder. Look in the 'Models' folder. You will have a folder in there containing the static model and textures for your static aircraft.

Inside the folder, you'll have the .mdl file and a texture folder. Open the texture folder. you will find a folder [named the same as your chosen model] that contains textures for the model.

I put the folder containing the static aircraft textures in the FS9 / FSX Addon Scenery / My Static Aircraft Scenery / Texture folder for them to display properly.

Next, I compile the created static .mdl into a .bgl using Arno's [FSDeveloper.com genius] Library Creator.

HERE (http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=93&act=down)

Finally, I place the model in FSX using Object Placement Tool [in the FSX SDK] so I can get the visual position just right.

Alternatively, you can place the model using SAMM by creating a .bgl file with placement co-ordinates. This is a little complicated to write down, so best to read the manual from p.6

There are other ways of placing the generated model, but I prefer to use OP Tool as it displays the model 'real time'.

Hope this helps :salute:

Navy Chief
January 9th, 2011, 05:44
Thanks Dave,

Hopefully between deciphering the instructions in the included manual, and your advice, maybe I can figure this out.

The compiling thing always gets me though. Maybe I can muddle through it this time.....

NC