PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim Bunker Hill AFB under DX10

DennyA
January 8th, 2011, 15:42
I'm reinstalling my FSX install, and I'd purchased the Alphasim Bunker Hill AFB back in 2007.

There are some "invisible" hangars -- looks to be the same texture problem that can affect props if you move over FS9 planes to FSX. So the hangar in front of the tower, for instance, obscures the bottom of the tower with a sky color. (See pic.)

Anyone know if they ever fixed this is an update? I went to see if they had an updated file on their site, but the Alphasim site is completely gone...

fsafranek
January 8th, 2011, 17:21
The scenery is now sold by the original developers under a different name, SDB Scenery. For a while it was available through Skysim.co.uk but you can now get their scenery from various flightsim software places like avsim, flightsim shops, etc. They stopped selling through Alphasim long before Alphasim changed it's name.

I sent a note to the developer asking him to stop be and see your post.
:ernae:

Mickey D
January 9th, 2011, 04:17
I'm reinstalling my FSX install, and I'd purchased the Alphasim Bunker Hill AFB back in 2007.

There are some "invisible" hangars -- looks to be the same texture problem that can affect props if you move over FS9 planes to FSX. So the hangar in front of the tower, for instance, obscures the bottom of the tower with a sky color. (See pic.)

Anyone know if they ever fixed this is an update? I went to see if they had an updated file on their site, but the Alphasim site is completely gone...

The Alphsim version of Bunker Hill was was created back in 2005 for FS9 ACoF. Then when Beta testing of FSX was offered to devs it was reworked for FSX but it was never intended to be compatible with DX10 Preview. Which as the name suggests is a "taster" for things to come and AFAIK never did achieve full feature status.

There are two things you can try.

1. Look in the texture folder if the textures are in DXT1 or DXT3 format convert them to DDS using Image Tool ( in the SDK) and a small batch file. Running the batch file and IT in the texture folder will convert all to DDS.

OR

2. Simply turn off DX10

DennyA
January 9th, 2011, 10:36
Thanks for the responses, guys!

I realized the Beale AFB scenery has the similar problems. (It's populated by SR-71 "Whitebirds," and the FS9 AI aircraft bring my PC to its knees.) Guess I'll just delete these and alter my flight plans. :)

fsafranek
January 9th, 2011, 15:31
Thanks for the responses, guys!

I realized the Beale AFB scenery has the similar problems. (It's populated by SR-71 "Whitebirds," and the FS9 AI aircraft bring my PC to its knees.) Guess I'll just delete these and alter my flight plans. :)
The easy fix is just to simply convert the textures to DDS format. Might even run faster?
:ernae:

Roger
January 9th, 2011, 15:40
In Dx10 most (but not all) Fs9 mdl textures are all white even in dds format.

Mickey D
January 10th, 2011, 02:23
Create a batch file using this line:

imagetool -nobeep -dxt5 -dds -nodither *.bmp

use it to run Image Tool ( it comes with the FSX SDK) in any scenery texture folder. It will create copies of all the bitmaps in dds format. The same batch file can be run in your AI texture folders too if any need converting. Then just delete all the bitmaps.
It's worth mentioning that the scenery in question is now 5 years old. Bunker Hill is now in a 4 scenery compilation package. Even Alphasim is now no more. :( All current Team SDB scenery for FSX uses DDS textures.