PDA

View Full Version : Got New HD Today

Devildog73
January 7th, 2011, 18:46
I am formatting as I type.
Putting XP on one partition, Vista on the other.
Will be up and running by morning!

nomad13
January 7th, 2011, 18:51
What kind of drive is it?
I'm busy fooling around with the hard drives in my Win7 workstation. Just installed a 2TB Samsung to go with my 5 X 1TB worth of Seagate Barracudas.
When the next generation of SSD's come out and prices go down, probably sometime next month, I'll be looking to replace my platter with a solid state drive.

Devildog73
January 7th, 2011, 18:56
What kind of drive is it?
I'm busy fooling around with the hard drives in my Win7 workstation. Just installed a 2TB Samsung to go with my 5 X 1TB worth of Seagate Barracudas.
When the next generation of SSD's come out and prices go down, probably sometime next month, I'll be looking to replace my platter with a solid state drive.

It is just a 500Gig 7200RPM Western Digital.
Overspent on the grandkids so had to go cheap.

I have another 500Gig 7200 on the system, but the way it was set up, the PC doesn't recognize it yet, because it is only formatted with XP and has all of my CFS2 on it, but no system boot files. It is interesting though, when I booted to the install DVD, it actually saw the other drives.

Devildog73
January 7th, 2011, 18:59
43% formatted! man I hate how long it takes to format a large HD......

nomad13
January 7th, 2011, 19:01
If the drive is a simple volume with no master boot record on it, you should be able to swap it between computers with the same operating system.
When you get your new boot drive installed, if you plug the data drive into the computer, when you reboot the computer it should install the necessary drivers and recognize the drive.

43% formatted! man I hate how long it takes to format a large HD......
My 2TB drive took nearly six hours to do a surface scan, four hours to format and about three hours to defrag after loading a little over a gig of data.

Devildog73
January 7th, 2011, 19:04
If the drive is a simple volume with no master boot record on it, you should be able to swap it between computers with the same operating system.
When you get your new boot drive installed, if you plug the data drive into the computer, when you reboot the computer it should install the necessary drivers and recognize the drive.

My 2TB drive took nearly six hours to do a surface scan, four hours to format and about three hours to defrag after loading a little over a gig of data.

WOW! Thanks for the encouraging words!!!!

Time for another glass of Big House Red Wine!

olaf1924
January 7th, 2011, 21:06
Devildog I also installed a new hard drive it is a fantom 2tb model. The hard drive is used just for fsx and I can report a increase of 5 to 10 fps using vista ultimate 64bit.

TARPSBird
January 7th, 2011, 22:16
Devildog73,
Couple days ago I replaced my main C: drive with a new Western Digital. 500Gb, 7200rpm - probably the same one you got. :) Still reloading programs and doing some tweaking but it's nice to once again have a reliable main drive with more storage capacity. Old main drive was 120Gb, had some bad sectors and tended to throw nasty BSOD errors when I wasn't lookin'. Like nobody's ever had that problem, right?

Blondi
January 8th, 2011, 04:28
I would suggest putting window7 instead of Vista.A little smoother operation I believe.

BLONDI:cost1:

Devildog73
January 8th, 2011, 08:56
I would suggest putting window7 instead of Vista.A little smoother operation I believe.

BLONDI:cost1:

Perhaps in the coming months.......I have WIN-7 on one of my laptop drives. In it right now. Just installed pristine CFS2 on the new HD, now copying to the various (ETO E, ETO W, MTO, PTO USAAC, PTO USMC, PTO USN) folders as I sit here typing on the laptop.

Then, the time consuming part; getting the MTO set up for Rami's new and improved Tuskegee Airmen with Achim's fantastic airbases! I will wait on all of the other installs for a while, perhaps updating the aircraft, scenery, etc. a little at a time. Of course, under WIN 7 on the laptop here, and Vista on the PC, I am networked. I have the laptop already set up with all the mods!

Sometimes the brain is just hanging out there all alone! Here I thought I was going to have to wait until I got to Germany!

Rami
January 8th, 2011, 09:00
Perhaps in the coming months.......I have WIN-7 on one of my laptop drives. In it right now. Just installed pristine CFS2 on the new HD, now copying to the various (ETO E, ETO W, MTO, PTO USAAC, PTO USMC, PTO USN) folders as I sit here typing on the laptop.

Then, the time consuming part; getting the MTO set up for Rami's new and improved Tuskegee Airmen with Achim's fantastic airbases! I will wait on all of the other installs for a while, perhaps updating the aircraft, scenery, etc. a little at a time. Of course, under WIN 7 on the laptop here, and Vista on the PC, I am networked. I have the laptop already set up with all the mods!

Sometimes the brain is just hanging out there all alone! Here I thought I was going to have to wait until I got to Germany!

Devildog,

I have a single-pack Tuskegee Airmen ready for you with a full hyper-linked readme.

Devildog73
January 8th, 2011, 10:49
Sounds like a deal Rami.
Send it when you can.

I am up and running on the big PC again!