PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been hit by U-Haul ?

XLR8
January 7th, 2011, 11:09
As some of you know I moved over the last weekend. The move went good,got the place set up and so forth.

Saturday morning I went to pick up the U-Haul truck. The sales person said there was a problem with the debit card transaction. After a few mins. all was ok. Got the truck and got moved. Since I had no Internet until Wednesday. I checked my bank account and was overdrawn and charged hundreds of dollars by there debit process.

To make a long story short,I still have not got my money back. Just a heads up if you did anything with U-Haul on January 1st check your bank account and credit cards.

As this problem was from coast to coast.

Ickie
January 7th, 2011, 11:28
when I moved 5 years ago from P-Cola to St. Pete, it took 2 weeks for my deposit to be returned

XLR8
January 7th, 2011, 11:47
There saying 2 to 5 days. The customer care person told me that I had a small amount compared to some . She said there was a person charged 91 times.

norab
January 7th, 2011, 14:11
I've gotten burned by them too often, I use Penske now

stansdds
January 7th, 2011, 14:38
U-Haul's around here tend to lie a lot... about fees and what size trucks they have and when they will be available. Generally speaking, you will end up with a truck much smaller than what they promised, leading to making extra trips and more miles; the truck will be very late in being available leading to more time and more likely to be late returning the truck. But, they are often the only game in town, or at least the only company with a truck to lease out when you need it, so they stay in business.

Human Drone
March 14th, 2012, 09:57
Man, sorry to hear about it! But I've heard stories like it before.

My rule is NEVER use a debit card as a debit card, especially for security deposist like this. they put a hold on your account, and boom! You can see what happens.

I always use my check (debit) card as a VISA or Mastercard, whichever it is. It takes longer to hit my checking account, and I have VISA or Mastercard purchase protection - and they will go after vendors for you. As well,
I have a "no bounce" credit line on my checking account for weird emergencies - never had to use it, though.

Debit transactions are not as secure, and I don't have a PIN number to remember.

Hope you get your bucks back!

Tom

Willy
March 14th, 2012, 10:32
I last used them about 10 years ago when I moved up here from SW Arkansas. They didn't have the size truck I wanted, so they gave me a bigger one at the same rate. Got it on time, made the move here and turned it in with no problems. I guess it's the local folks you deal with. The ones in Texarkana and here were good.

Dain Arns
March 14th, 2012, 16:25
In my previous occupation, part of my duties was organizing truck rentals for the company...

* U-Haul was never a consideration. Poor maintenance records, shoddy vehicles, and billing system.

* Budget left our folks, in the middle of Arizona, during the summer, for an entire day before responding.
Then argued about the billing when it was a day late, their fault to boot.
(They were in a convoy, shudder to think if they were alone like a lot of folks are when moving).

* Penske, would match any competitors price, had great maintenance records and vehicles.
They have thousands of shops nationwide.
One truck broke down, and the local manager was on the phone to me apologizing before I called him, because it was going to take them more than 2 hours to get a tow truck to the remote location our employees were at.

Think you know who I would recommend in the future... :salute: