PDA

View Full Version : Scenery.cfg problems.....

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 03:16
Hopefully there's an easy fix for this. Here's the problem. Upon startup, I get a couple error msgs, saying that certain Scenery files are not found. Well, I know they are installed, so how do I fix the Scenery.cfg file, so the errors go away?

Thanks.

NC

Roger
January 7th, 2011, 04:46
This thread may help.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=39608&highlight=SCENERY+error

Roger
January 7th, 2011, 04:49
This thread may help.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=39608&highlight=SCENERY+error

FST scenery.exe is the tool you need. You will find a download link in this thread http://forum.simflight.com/topic/52341-the-fsx-scenerycfg-file/

mal998
January 7th, 2011, 05:34
Simple fix...open the game (enter key thru the error messages) open scenery library, delete offending scenery and then add it again....fixed!

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 05:36
Simple fix...open the game (enter key thru the error messages) open scenery library, delete offending scenery and then add it again....fixed!

I'll do that if I have to, but the scenery in question is HUGE......Megascenery files.

NC

mal998
January 7th, 2011, 05:44
Chief,
in the scenery library it's still only 1 box ticked per scenery...

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 06:00
Ok, I did some checking.

The scenery files in question (all megascenery titles) are all there. The problem is somehow there are more than one instance of their listings in the scenery.cfg file. I can delete them, but then the remaining listings would have to be renumbered. Is there a faster/quicker way to do that???

Thanks,

NC

mal998
January 7th, 2011, 06:10
Chief,
I would really be hesitant to mess with the scenery cfg file. It can end up being a disaster.

A much safer approach would be to delete the offending areas in the scenery library in the game and then let FSX rebuild the scenery cfg file.

Then simply add all the mega sceneries thru the scenery library and again let the game rebuild the scenery cfg file.

It can be a real nightmare messing with the scenery.cfg file and I would not recommend it.

Let me know how you fare...

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 06:15
Chief,
I would really be hesitant to mess with the scenery cfg file. It can end up being a disaster.

A much safer approach would be to delete the offending areas in the scenery library in the game and then let FSX rebuild the scenery cfg file.

Then simply add all the mega sceneries thru the scenery library and again let the game rebuild the scenery cfg file.

It can be a real nightmare messing with the scenery.cfg file and I would not recommend it.

Let me know how you fare...

Well, this is not going to be fun. Just having to track down the receipt for when I purchased that scenery, and then downloading again..... What a friggin' pain!

mal998
January 7th, 2011, 06:21
Chief DON'T delete the Mega scenery files in Windows...delete them ONLY through the library! They do not have to be re-installed in Windows only in the Scenery library

send me a PM with your phone number i'll call you

mal998
January 7th, 2011, 06:48
Chief are you on SKYPE?

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 06:59
Chief are you on SKYPE?

Yes...I will send you a PM in a bit. Had someone on the phone who just wouldn't quit yacking!!!

Finally off the phone, but have to run to the mail box. Will be back in a few....

NC

mal998
January 7th, 2011, 07:03
roger that

Roger
January 7th, 2011, 07:55
The tool is so easy to use I don't see the problem?

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 09:50
The tool is so easy to use I don't see the problem?

I downloaded/installed and ran the tool.

But that did not fix it. Same problem persists.

NC

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 10:45
Problem fixed, thanks to Mal998!

Thanks to Mitch! We talked on the phone, and went through the process of deleting the affected sceneries from the library in the Settings menu of FSX. The problem was locating the files so I could use the Add Scenery function, and it took me a while to find them again.

But I did. What had happened was I had just added an external drive to my system, and had move a LOT of my files off of my internal drives, to save space. It was because of that - which caused the error. I had changed the address of the files.

All is okie dokie again.

Thanks Mitch, and thanks to everyone who suggested solutions!!

Pete

Roger
January 7th, 2011, 11:00
Sorry the tool didn't work NC but I'm glad you're sorted now.

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2011, 11:01
Sorry the tool didn't work NC but I'm glad you're sorted now.

Me too, Roger! It would have been quicker! Thanks anyway! Pete

b52bob
January 7th, 2011, 21:58
While we're on the subject of scenery.....since I reinstalled FSX about two months ago, I have this problem. I am running GEX USA and Canada. and UTX. Things look great in GEX but when I add in UTX after 5 mins or so, the ground textures turn to pea soup and taxi ways and aprons turn green. This also happens with PNW and any other terrain programs.

I have reinstalled many times, did a repair on FSX and Acceration but I can't beat this. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
PS, these shots are the good ones, later on it turns to all pea soup.
Bob

Roger
January 8th, 2011, 03:36
Looks like a "blurries" issue. Does this happen at say 10,000'?

Meshman
January 8th, 2011, 05:38
I have reinstalled many times, did a repair on FSX and Acceration but I can't beat this. Any thoughts?

What were the reinstalls suppose to fix? Unless there is a specific problem that cannot be addressed in any other manner, then uninstalling and reinstalling FSX does nothing other than eat up time and give you a massively fragmented HD.

To cure your blurry textures, move the sliders for autogen left, wayyyy left. Find where things run smoothly, then try moving back right one notch. Certain items get priority in FSX and autogen comes long before drawing in the textures. If you're to the point of seeing GREEN at airports your computer is trying to tell you something.

Specific to UTX, if they are turned on, turn off residential roads. It does take time and CPU cycles to draw all those little roads. Aslo traffic should be set somewhere around 8%, as UTX adds a whole lot more road traffic above the default FSX. Unless you want everything to look like the Papago Freeway at 5:00pm?

b52bob
January 8th, 2011, 07:39
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I had to reformat my hard drive after a virus attack. Everything worked fine up until the time I reinstalled. I'm at the same or a little less on the sliders. Roads are turned off. At 10000 feet it's even worse, nothing but pea soup and absolutly no mountains, fields or anything.

BTW, I'm running a e8500 with 6 megs, a new gtx460 1 meg card.

Thanks
Bob