PDA

View Full Version : Talk about quiet!

OBIO
January 6th, 2011, 12:49
I just had the dogs out for a potty trip. It is snowing here. A nice lovely snow fall. After the dogs finished their thing, I put them inside the nice warm garage while I finished my smoke. Standing outside, watching the snow fall...and listening to the snow fall. It is so quiet out here that I could actually hear the snow fall and land on the tree branches above my head, on the ground around me. The only other sounds were the Sparrows, Chickadees, Flickers and Nut Hatches in the trees and around the bird feeders.

I love it when it is this quiet. So peaceful, so tranquil, so heavenly. I could not imagine living the city and have no idea how people can live in places like New York or Boston or LA with the constant traffic and sound of people.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
January 6th, 2011, 12:57
Quite! Snow when falling on a windless day deep in the mountains, forest or plains muffles just about everything other than geese honking when flying low over decoys, a bull elk bugeling or a coyote howling in the distance. Some fine memories those.

Tboomer57
January 6th, 2011, 13:47
I have notice about heavy snow.........

Dogs think its great...............

Because they don't have any smells..........

To worry about..............

The fresher/heavier the snow........the more fun the dog seems to have..........

No other threats

They aren't pulling the owner ........all over trying to get to the lastest pee spot

Willy
January 6th, 2011, 14:45
LOL, I've been calling it P-mail for years.

Obio, I like it out here in the country myself. Not only for the quiet, but it takes a heck of a backyard to make a decent pasture for two horses.

Cazzie
January 6th, 2011, 15:04
Caz vs. boredom; boredom wins.

I'm going to bed early, there is absolutely nothing to keep me inspired or stimulated tonight.

Bone
January 6th, 2011, 15:20
I like the low key quiet of the country, and I like the high energy of a large grand city. Balance.

Kiwikat
January 6th, 2011, 15:43
It was like that at a local nature preserve earlier this week. The only thing you could hear was the swiftly flowing rapids.

Peaceful indeed. That's why I am a photographer. For the peace and quiet of nature.

brad kaste
January 6th, 2011, 15:58
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"
by
Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

(....How beautifully explained in the simplest of words...)

Jagdflieger
January 6th, 2011, 16:48
Very apropos Brad. I don't think that anyone could have said it better then Robert Frost. Of course with a last name of Frost, it only stands to reason...

Bjoern
January 7th, 2011, 11:02
I like the low key quiet of the country, and I like the high energy of a large grand city. Balance.

Yeah. Live in the city and in case you're fed up by it, take your bike, board the next urban train and get out of there.

Finish the day by telling your out of town experiences to your friends in a hip cocktail lounge downtown before hitting the clubs.