PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card 460 gtx upgrade

limjack
January 5th, 2011, 16:14
Currently I have the 8800gtx card and want to upgrade to this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125333 ...460 Gtx 1gb.

So the questions

System specs
Intel(R) cores (tm)2 quad cpu Q6600 2.4 ghz
6.00gb ram
64 bit operating system

Will this card work with the P5N32 E SLI motherboard?

I know it will not gain me any FPS but will it help the graphics to render when I fly my PMDG aircraft. Seems like my system struggles to render the graphics on these aircraft....black screen flickering graphics and so forth?

Looks like a nice card that will not break the bank.

Thanks for any help

Jim

roger-wilco-66
January 7th, 2011, 00:40
I dunno about the mainboard (but I guess it'll be OK), but I really like the 460gtx card. I have a system quite similar to yours regarding the processor: Asus P5q deluxe board, 4gig RAM, q6600 @ 3ghz and a Gainward 460gtx card (not oc'ed), and this setup *rocks* in FSX. I have a 24" Samsung LED tft @ 1980x1080 and my frames never stutter or drop below 30fps, to which it is locked. FSX.cfg is modified by Jesus Altuves configurator.

I'd say go get it, if it makes trouble with the mainboard, return it (or get another mobo).

Cheers,
Mark

limjack
January 7th, 2011, 06:25
Thanks Mark for the feedback and hope. I don't OC either and I am running Jesus tweaks as well. Will do some futher research on compatability of the motherboard and the card.

Jim

txnetcop
January 7th, 2011, 14:52
No problem with compatibility but you may have to OC it a bit to get the results you want. Will be glad to help if you need it
Ted

limjack
January 7th, 2011, 18:59
Thanks Ted for the info. Will get the card but overclocking still a no no to me. Family computer and I do not want to destroy or flame on my rig....lol. Someday I know I will give it a shot.

Jim

roger-wilco-66
January 11th, 2011, 05:19
Thanks Mark for the feedback and hope. I don't OC either and I am running Jesus tweaks as well. Will do some futher research on compatability of the motherboard and the card.

Jim

Just an afterthought: check on the PSU as well, just to be sure. I initially had a 400w PSU before and it didn't hack it. With a 550w 80+ unit (Corsair) it was OK.

And on overclocking: oc-ing the q6600 to 3ghz is no big deal, and my processor also stays quite cool even under load (I've seen max 41 degrees celsius with a mainstream cooler). The increase in performance was significant. I wouldn't OC the 460 card, because I think FSX wouldn't participate much on that, and the card would get hotter and potentially louder - the 460 cards are not exactly known for silent cooling fans. Besides that, performance seems to be plenty enough.

Cheers,
Mark

stansdds
January 12th, 2011, 10:09
I've never seen a significant benefit in overclocking a video card. Overclocking the CPU, and to a certain extent the RAM, can yield tremendous benefits.

txnetcop
January 13th, 2011, 10:05
I've never seen a significant benefit in overclocking a video card. Overclocking the CPU, and to a certain extent the RAM, can yield tremendous benefits.

Guess I should have clarified my comment. Yes OCing the CPU has benefit I too have never seen the benefit of OCing a card in FSX, however in other games it can be a significant improvement.
Ted