PDA

View Full Version : Around the world in just over a week.

Willy
January 5th, 2011, 12:38
In the late 1940s, Canadair had a license from Douglas to build a DC-4 variant. So, they set out to improve the aircraft by using Merlin engines and pressurizing the cabin which resulted in the Canadair C-4 North Star (or Argonaut if you were BOAC). The C-4 was some 35ish knots faster than the DC-4 and could fly above the weather which the unpressurized DC-4 couldn't. Some aircraft went to the RCAF as transports, but more of the 71 built went to BOAC, Trans Canada (now Air Canada) and Canadian Pacific where they provided excellant service for a number of years before being sold off to other airlines.

A few months ago, I read where in the early '50s it was possible to take an around the world trip in the C-4, but you had to do it using three different airlines in four parts. The first part was BOAC Flight 906 from London to Tokyo with several stops along the route. Leaving on Sunday, you'd be in Tokyo on Thursday. 230 pounds sterling would get you there.

Next, after a layover, on Friday evening it was Canadian Pacific Flight 306 from Tokyo to Vancouver with a refueling stop at Shemya in the Aleutians. $695 CAD and thanks to International Date Line, you'd arrive in the very early hours Saturday morning.

From Vancouver, Trans Canada Flight 2 leaving after breakfast on Saturday would take you to Montreal with a few stops in between arriving late Saturday night. There was no mention of what this one would set you back.

After another overnight layover, you'd depart Montreal on Sunday afternoon on Trans Canada Flight 220 heading east with refueling stops at Gander and Shannon Ireland before landing back at Heathrow around noon Monday. To cross the pond was $370 CAD.

I imagine that by the time you got back to London, you would have had your fill of air travel for quite a while.

I've got the whole route written down with all the stops and figured it might be interesting to fly it. Since Jens Kristensen just released version 3 of his C-4 with all three airlines liveries, it seemed like a good time to start. So, I loaded up at Heathrow and took off for the first stop in Frankfurt, Germany. As I like to look at the scenery, I didn't take off at 8pm like the real Flight 906 did, instead taking off at 9 am when it was good and daylight.

First off some shots of Heathrow back in the day (Courtesy of California Classics retro scenery) and climbing out over London (foggy this time of year)...

Next.. Frankfurt

Willy
January 5th, 2011, 12:46
It was only a little over an hour to Frankfurt (also CalClassics retro). Not sure why BOAC stopped there as the Argonaut has a lot more range than that. But once we left London, we climbed on up to FL190 for the trip to Germany.

This was my first flight in the new C-4 and I'm liking it already. Very nice flyer and definitely faster than the DC-4 it was based on. Plus it has that nice Merlin sound. Although in real life, the Merlins were quite a bit noisier than the radials engines on the Douglas product and the extra noise was not a selling point for an airliner.

Anyway, I'm going to fly this as I get time to knock out a leg. Due to not having a flight engineer or navigator in my back pocket, I'm going to install a few extra gauges to take up the work load that they would have covered.

Willy
January 5th, 2011, 20:44
Left Frankfurt and headed south to Rome. Nice flight over the Alps and flew low over the city to let the passengers get a good look. Unfortunately we won't be staying long there. Just long enough to fill the tanks and let off a few passengers and board a few new ones.

Next leg is going to be a bit longer...

Cag40Navy
January 5th, 2011, 21:45
You and your flights Willy! I hate to ask but where did you get the pretty C-4 from? Is it one of Jens? Thanks!

Willy
January 5th, 2011, 22:30
Yep, it's his recently released Version 3. Improved flight model, more detail in the VC and more paint schemes.

I always did like the '50s BOAC paint schemes. Simple yet elegant.

Cag40Navy
January 5th, 2011, 23:06
Love the oldies! Thanks again! And yes, BOAC is simple but elegant.

srgalahad
January 6th, 2011, 14:32
From Vancouver, Trans Canada Flight 2 leaving after breakfast on Saturday would take you to Montreal with a few stops in between arriving late Saturday night. There was no mention of what this one would set you back.

Tourist Class Vancouver - Montreal $145.00 Cdn
First Class (one Way) $181.40 Cdn
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/ac54/tc54-5.jpg

Montreal to London (same timetable)
First Class - $386
Tourist - $285

Willy
January 6th, 2011, 14:51
Thanks Rob, the guy I got the info from over at CalClassics listed the 1950 price for the Trans Canada flight across the pond which I assume was First Class as the price was pretty close.

Willy
January 10th, 2011, 23:37
Finally got the time to fly another leg

Took off from Rome heading east to Damascus, Syria. Longish flight but everything seemed to work out okay.