PDA

View Full Version : Here's something you'll really like...

Rami
January 5th, 2011, 08:29
Good afternoon,

After working on Tuskegee for two weeks virtually non-stop, I needed a break. So, I decided to do something I'm sure many of you will appreciate. Talking to Achim27619, he had mentioned that one of the things he wished for was to rework his airbases so that they are much simpler in packaging.

The reason why they were so scattered originally was that he was feeding me these bases so I could put out campaigns. But it wasn't really an efficient way to do it, as you all know.

So, for the last couple of days, I've been working on re-packaging all his downloads, installing all the updates, using Martin Wright's GSL editor to rework the GSL files, and streamlining the process, so that, when this project is completed...

All of Achim's English bases will be in one download package.
All of Achim's North African bases will be in one download package.
All of Achim's Italian bases will be in one download package.
All of Achim's Russian bases will be in one download package.

And so forth...

This will make installing ETO, OstFront, and MTO airfields a lot easier. The airbase.dat files won't change, not to worry.

The only exception to these will be Germany and France. France will remain split between North and South, while Germany will have a separate download for East Prussia, so those of us with theater-specific installs will be able to keep those intact.

Look for this in the coming days, installed to the new library.

Pretty cool, huh? :wiggle:

tobob
January 5th, 2011, 08:55
Outstanding Rami! :jump:

You go above and beyond always! A+

tobob

mariereid
January 5th, 2011, 09:29
I am giving up on commenting on how much you get done around here. If we had "a man of the year", you'd be a shoe in! :salute::salute::salute:

JapLance
January 5th, 2011, 10:16
Great idea, Rami.

bearcat241
January 5th, 2011, 10:58
Solid move...:ernae:

CrisGer
January 5th, 2011, 11:49
I will wait for you to complete this GREAT project to release my ETO and MED master base lists...thanks so much Rami, each step of this process makes CFS2 better and more accessible to new players and existing ones too. Much appreciated. Once you are done i will start on an adjunct project to try to get permissoins from everyone concerned to do a master pack of objects for each major scenery creator..ie Maskrider, Achim, Jean Bomber, Xavier...etc... so that people will only have to drop in prepared file sets for the needed objects when they install bases or a set of bases by one scenery maker.

thanks again for the great work.

Morton
January 5th, 2011, 13:32
This is just GREAT Rami! I wish similar projects could be done for other Scenery designers work as well. Too much files scattered around.

Just saw your post Grisger. Read my mind. SPLENDID! Most important CFS2 project in a long time.

Mort

Rami
January 5th, 2011, 13:41
Hello,

Believe it or not, I have all fourteen packages completed, with updated readmes and airbase.dat files. This is how the packages will break down...

JHS_England
JHS_Norway
JHS_France_North
JHS_France_South
JHS_Albania
JHS_Greece
JHS_Romania
JHS_North_Africa
JHS_Eastern-Med
JHS_RUS
JHS_Germany
JHS_Poland
JHS_Italy
JHS_East_Prussia
JHS_BENL

I believe this was long overdue, and will make everyone's sims a lot happier. Thanks for the support! :salute:

PomBee
January 5th, 2011, 14:03
Superb job, Rami. You'll get my vote for mariereid's "Man of the Year" prize.

Cheers,

PomBee.:ernae:

moonbutter2
January 5th, 2011, 14:21
That is great! I was going to ask you early if you where going to do that but, you are alwaya so busy here at the outhouse. Where do you find the time!

Ryan

Jagdflieger
January 5th, 2011, 14:39
Great idea Rami and good on you for getting it all put together and organized!

Rami
January 5th, 2011, 15:54
To all,

All packages have been uploaded to the new library...I took the liberty of throwing in the Danish fields as well.

For the JHS_Denmark and JHS_France_North packages only, the scenery files themselves are unchanged, only the readme files have been updated.

Each readme has updated hyperlinks so that you can download all the objects with relative ease. I thank Achim for his suggestion, this will really help to smooth out a person's ETO / MTO / OstFront installation.

All files are uploaded, go get 'em! :ernae:

SPman
January 5th, 2011, 16:33
Brilliant, Andrew.

As I've just decided to reinstall CFS2 in several theatres, this will make life that little bit easier. Thanks to you all - Achim for the bases and you for your boundless energy on the reorganization front!

Rami
January 5th, 2011, 19:44
I was looking at the description for the JUS_Russia,zip, and I noticed that the SOH censor machine actually censored one of the names of the airbases, because it is named "crap" omir.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=45&linkid=3343

It isn't meant to be censored, it is actually the name of the airbase itself, located in Russia.

Anyway, I thought it was kind of funny.

skylane
January 6th, 2011, 00:05
Great idea, Rami!
Thanks a lot! :applause:

Rami
January 6th, 2011, 03:30
I will wait for you to complete this GREAT project to release my ETO and MED master base lists...thanks so much Rami, each step of this process makes CFS2 better and more accessible to new players and existing ones too. Much appreciated. Once you are done i will start on an adjunct project to try to get permissions from everyone concerned to do a master pack of objects for each major scenery creator..ie Maskrider, Achim, Jean Bomber, Xavier...etc... so that people will only have to drop in prepared file sets for the needed objects when they install bases or a set of bases by one scenery maker.

thanks again for the great work.

CrisGer,

For Achim's bases, all of the required objects can be gathered from the hyperlinks. This will give you the name of the persons to contact.

UPDATE: As an experiment, I downloaded all of the objects required for Achim's bases and put them all into a zip file, the total size was 41.1 MB. I have strong reservations about uploading a file that large that would be downloaded so much, this was the same reason that the Eurw.zip was split into four parts. For lower-bandwith users, this may prove problematic.

One way around this, since the objects for Achim's bases are constant, is to make an auto-installer for the library objects. Not all of Achim's bases require all of the objects I listed, but his latest Barbarossa ones did, so rather than do separate lists for each one, I gave you the same links for all of them to streamline the process.

Does that make sense?

Devildog73
January 6th, 2011, 15:51
Makes a lot of sense my friend!

My new HD should be here tomorrow. Wife and kiddos are going up to the eldest daughter's at the NJ shores, so I will be home alone to get the new HD installed, new OS, and all my new CFS2 installs in. I will focus on MTO first so that we can get your reworks downloaded and installed and I can keep my promise to Achim to get the additional Tuskegee missions done.

You and Jagd know what I am talking about here, but I want to get them started so that they are finished before I have to unplug the big computer. (Not for public comsumption).

Rami
January 7th, 2011, 08:36
Good afternoon,

Before I went to work this morning, I replaced all of my campaign files in the new library with ones that have the updated Achim airbase packages. The same holds true for the ones updated on my website.

Now that this is completed, I'll dive back into my campaign work.

Wulf190
January 8th, 2011, 07:35
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

When it came to reinstalling Achim's airbases it was always a little time consuming because of all the various versions and updates that the various packages required. Thank you for sorting it all out and stream lining it!

erufle
January 8th, 2011, 08:02
This is really gonna help out us ADD sufferers.:isadizzy: