PDA

View Full Version : Bad Power Supply ?

Crusader
November 29th, 2008, 06:13
I think I might have thrown something like this out here before but I think I'll give it another try . The past two to three weeks I've gotten a BSOD indicating a hardware failure . I would reboot and all would be fine . the past week or so the mouse(USB) would quit , a reboot would cure the problem . Then the keyboard would not work and on rebooting the computer all would be fine . Now this morning the computer would not even power on(no power light or harddrive light). All cords plugged in and even tried in different recepticles . A friend of mine thinks it is probably a bad PSU verses a MOBO in that various hardware are not booting up and he thinks that the power supply is slowly giving way and not powering on the various components and will eventually quit all together . The mobo lights are on inside the case when the the PC is off but isn't that a result of just having the PC plugged into AC ? I quess I'm tring to talk myself into thinking it's the PSU vs the mobo:icon_lol: Would a bad mobo prevent the PC from powering on (no lights or nothing? ) A PSU would be alot easier to change than a mobo and a hell of alot cheeper ?:banghead: hey_moe I feel your pain:banghead: These PC's are agravating SOB's and a big piece of s--t:banghead: Anyone want to share your bad PSU failures , especially the symptoms.

Rich

( I quit for now . I think I'll go get a 12pack , watch some football this afternoon and say the hell with it)

aeronca1
November 29th, 2008, 07:37
Personally, I would first remove and reseat the memory sticks and all of your cards. I recently worked on a system that had similar symptoms. My first thought was power supply, as mine had recently gone to the great beyond, but over the years, I have learned to proceed systematically.

The fans on his video card would not power up, sometimes various fans in the system would not power up. He had on and off problems writing to a USB device etc., until the system just refused to boot.

I first reseated the video card, tried to boot, nada. Reseated all the other cards, nada. Removed and reseated the memory, Tada! System still working fine after a few months.

Moral, try the simple first!

Wiens
November 29th, 2008, 08:17
Crusader,

Agreed with Aeronca, check the simple items first. It most likely is the psu. You didn't say what brand of computer you have. We've had several Dell's at home and my office that the psu malfunctioned.

Kevin

Butcherbird17
November 29th, 2008, 08:59
I would do as aeronca1 posted too. But this smells like a mobo going south to me (could be wrong). You can test the psu with an psu tester, you can get one at a local computer shop cheap. It could be a number of things, but the psu is a good place to start.

Joe