PDA

View Full Version : A former USN A-7 pilot will join us soon!

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2011, 05:55
You may remember numerous posts I have made about Fred Sanders, a retired CDR.?

Well, I would occasionally send him screenshots and youtube video links of the latest addons and advances in FSX.

He emailed me a few days ago, and said he was ready to get FSX! I have a spare throttle and joystick, and will be driving to his place to help him get set up. He purchased the FSX/Acceleration combo software package (upon my recommendation).

So it won't be long before he'll be joining this forum. And I know you folks will welcome him!

Stand by!

NC

fliger747
January 4th, 2011, 06:27
Great! I fly with a bunch of Naval Aviators, always an interesting bunch.

Cheers: T

modelr
January 4th, 2011, 07:16
:applause:

hews500d
January 4th, 2011, 07:51
The more the merrier :wavey:

Darrell

crashaz
January 4th, 2011, 08:47
sweet! RL pilots I always like to hear from. :salute:

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2011, 08:50
It is going to be a steep learning curve for Fred. He's admitted to me he is clueless about computing in general. I assured him that the combination of what I know, plus all the knowledgeable members on this forum - he will get a LOT of help!

NC

BOOM
January 4th, 2011, 08:56
It will be fantastic to have someone with his knowledge and experience on board.
Welcome CDR.:salute:

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2011, 08:59
In addition, Fred retired from NASA as an engineer.....

NC

Daveroo
January 4th, 2011, 09:51
oh i cant wait for this...for his input as to how wel he does or doesnt do in FSX...ive had several of my real world pilot friends at my desk who couldnt land a plane in fsx to save theyre buts including a C5 driver who was an active C5 training officer..im the first to admit i dont know the airforce nominclature...but his job was to train "kids" ( his words) to fly C5's,,and he had a hell of a time landing my A2A accusim Cub,,,i learned new words......:salute: lol

another time..a family friend flys 206s for CHP....he flew the carrendo 206 and couldnt land it either...i asked ifiit was the simulator..and both said it was more diffacult...than real world...

so im curious what this gentalman will say

Bone
January 4th, 2011, 10:34
oh i cant wait for this...for his input as to how wel he does or doesnt do in FSX...ive had several of my real world pilot friends at my desk who couldnt land a plane in fsx to save theyre buts including a C5 driver who was an active C5 training officer..im the first to admit i dont know the airforce nominclature...but his job was to train "kids" ( his words) to fly C5's,,and he had a hell of a time landing my A2A accusim Cub,,,i learned new words......:salute: lol

another time..a family friend flys 206s for CHP....he flew the carrendo 206 and couldnt land it either...i asked ifiit was the simulator..and both said it was more diffacult...than real world...

so im curious what this gentalman will say

That's because FS is largely unrealistically sensitive in the pitch and roll, and it's completely devoid of the tactile forces and feedback a RW pilot subconsciously relys on...not to mention the 2-D mini screen instead of the 360 degree panorama of RW. When at first you try to fly FS exactly like the plane you're used to flying, then things get a little ugly because FS and RW planes are not equals. Of course, it just takes a little bit of practice to get a handle on.

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2011, 11:09
That's because FS is largely unrealistically sensitive in the pitch and roll, and it's completely devoid of the tactile forces and feedback a RW pilot subconsciously relys on...not to mention the 2-D mini screen instead of the 360 degree panorama of RW. When at first you try to fly FS exactly like the plane you're used to flying, then things get a little ugly because FS and RW planes are not equals. Of course, it just takes a little bit of practice to get a handle on.

What I will do, is my best to show Fred how to adjust the controls to his liking. I would think it is possible to make the sensitivity more like real life? I don't know. But this will be SO COOL to watch a former Corsair II pilot take the controls.

I am psyched!!!

NC