PDA

View Full Version : Asus motion detection for the PC - and maybe FSX...

DaveKDEN
January 2nd, 2011, 21:58
The Asus PrimeSense WAVI Xtion coming soon on a PC near you.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/01/wavi-xtion-asus-primesense/#more-58089

I think the developers of Track IR might want to look at adopting something like this for FSX. No more hats with IR reflectors. Just your own natural movements interacting with FSX.

icarus
January 2nd, 2011, 23:11
Wow! that’s great news, love asus and samsung i have many things with them

Aviator32
January 2nd, 2011, 23:18
Does that mean we'll have to fly with our arms outstretched?

icarus
January 2nd, 2011, 23:55
could be great for make video with point of view

stiz
January 3rd, 2011, 00:20
Does that mean we'll have to fly with our arms outstretched?

be a great way to get kids invold if you had it set up at a museum or summing :jump:

Aviator32
January 3rd, 2011, 00:37
be a great way to get kids invold if you had it set up at a museum or summing :jump:

Especially if they had to make their own engine noises too!

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!!!

Dino Cattaneo
January 3rd, 2011, 00:46
It is basically the same thing as the Microsoft Kinect (which can be used on a PC through open source drivers by independent "hackers"). Several kinect "hacks" allow the user to control applications and games (World of Warcraft to name one).
I hope we will see a program to control FSX (Flight?) soon!

Quixoticish
January 3rd, 2011, 00:52
It is basically the same thing as the Microsoft Kinect (which can be used on a PC through open source drivers by independent "hackers"). Several kinect "hacks" allow the user to control applications and games (World of Warcraft to name one).
I hope we will see a program to control FSX (Flight?) soon!

The problem I've found with Kinect is that for all intents and purposes pretty it's rubbish and doesn't work anywhere near as well as was advertised.

Aviator32
January 3rd, 2011, 01:48
So how do you all picture ths working? I'm quite happy to control FSX with a joystick - I'm not sure but I think that's what real aircraft use? And with buttons and switches, like on a keyboard!

How could something like this possibly be of use for a flight simulator?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf44bWQr3jc

MarkH
January 3rd, 2011, 02:18

Head tracking.

Aviator32
January 3rd, 2011, 03:21
Head tracking.

Er, like TrackIR? Just without the hat. I'm not sure if a 'Gesture-Controlled User Interface' can be set up to ignore everything from the neck down when the whole point of it is as a motion detector for the whole body and at some distance from the monitor by the way which would make for a totally unrealistic FS experience.

icarus
January 3rd, 2011, 03:38
i had same thought about head tracking but probably it will be also possible to control some gau at distance.

icarus
January 3rd, 2011, 03:40
and at some distance from the monitor by the way which would make for a totally unrealistic FS experience

the answer probably is a biiig monitor and a simple Wireless Joystick and the asus one or why not explore fs sceneries by walk?

SkippyBing
January 3rd, 2011, 06:37
I'm not sure if a 'Gesture-Controlled User Interface' can be set up to ignore everything from the neck down

Shouldn't be a problem, having seen how Kinetic works it generates a stick like figure of the players body which it then uses to control the motion. If it can track hands individually then tracking the head won't be a problem, it doesn't have to ignore everything from the neck down, just not do anything with it.

DaveKDEN
January 3rd, 2011, 07:05
So how do you all picture ths working? I'm quite happy to control FSX with a joystick - I'm not sure but I think that's what real aircraft use? And with buttons and switches, like on a keyboard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf44bWQr3jc

Head and hand tracking for viewpoint and switch manipulation. Though I'd still want to use my joystick for flight controls.

TeiscoDelRay
January 3rd, 2011, 07:11
Lol I can hear it now, Her "What are you doing, having a fit?" Him: "I am dancing my plane over the mountains"