PDA

View Full Version : Quick Combat - Newby Post!

oldskoolbug
January 2nd, 2011, 09:43
Alright folks, I'm a total newby to this forum, but have been playing flight sims for years... Anyhow here's my question. I have CFS3 with the Firepower addon. When in Quick Combat, enemy aircraft re-generate a few seconds after I essentially shot them all down. I recall editing one of the files to prevent this from hapenning a while back, but I can't recall which file, and what exactly I had to modify. I had to re-install due to a HD crash, and I forgot what needs to be done to accomplish my goal.

As of right now, if I choose quick combat against two enemy aircraft, those guys keep coming back after I shoot them down. Even after I run out of ammo, they are still there. I'd much rather shoot them down, as many as I had originally selected, and just be done with it. Land my aircraft, and end the mission myself.

Thanks guys!

Led Zeppelin
January 2nd, 2011, 12:16
Never heard about this, I didn't knew it was possible to modify QC missions this way.

If you have 'only' CFS3 + Fire Power then, I strongly recommend you to install ETO
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=10

oldskoolbug
January 2nd, 2011, 12:55
Never heard about this, I didn't knew it was possible to modify QC missions this way.

If you have 'only' CFS3 + Fire Power then, I strongly recommend you to install ETO
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=10

Yes its possible. I should of written it down somewhere, and now I'm kicking myself in the butt for it! It was so nice to just be able to "complete" a QC mission and be done with it, without the re-spawning.

Hopefully someone that knows, will read this and chime in. As for ETO, what exactly is it?

hairyspin
January 2nd, 2011, 13:23
There's a line in the Quick Combat section of uisel.xml in your Application Data folder which reads

<Respawn type="bool" val="y"/>

You might try changing this to:-

<Respawn type="bool" val="n"/>

Hope this helps. :wavey: And welcome to the madhouse!

oldskoolbug
January 2nd, 2011, 13:38
There's a line in the Quick Combat section of uisel.xml in your Application Data folder which reads

<Respawn type="bool" val="y"/>

You might try changing this to:-

<Respawn type="bool" val="n"/>

Hope this helps. :wavey: And welcome to the madhouse!

Funny thing... I've searched and there is no sign of that file ANYWHERE on my computer... hummm

cjcz7
January 2nd, 2011, 13:45
ETO is a massive project that has been generously given to the cfs3 community for free.
it creates a complete new version of cfs3 on you computer with over 150 new aircraft, spectacular effects, breathtaking scenery, 100's of new missions and five 'eras' in which to fly, each encompassing a different aspect of the war. if you want to have a look at some screen-shots of it and MAW (Mediterranean air war - another version of CFS3 on you computer but this time creating the entire Mediterranean theater for you) click here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/album.php?albumid=319
there are also plenty of videos on youtube
each version is created separately so you can still play CFS3 in its original state and you effectivly have 2 complete new games!

hairyspin
January 2nd, 2011, 13:51
Funny thing... I've searched and there is no sign of that file ANYWHERE on my computer... hummm

for XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Name)\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0

for Vista and Windows 7:
C:\Users\(Your name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0

You may have to enable hidden files and folders to be viewed in Explorer.

HTH

gaw
January 2nd, 2011, 15:04
yeah....don't give up on finding the uisel file...it's 75% of the time responsible for crashes...endlessly recurring bad guys in QC/mission failure to load, etc.......not that it's intrinsically bad....it just needs to be told what to do...and hairyspin is right....find the uisel, edit the enemy aircraft line...and QC's your slave for a while.....until the next time you have to delete the uisel. It also determines your stick choice, game realism settings, etc........so it's worth finding...and knowing that you have to reset your preferences after deleting. You have the paths from HS.....dial back in if you can't resolve the issue...and if you do, say so....it's nice to hear that responses are helpful....encourages more of the same....good luck

oldskoolbug
January 2nd, 2011, 15:23
file has been found, and indeed it was in a hidden folder (appdata). I have made the change as sugested, and I'm in the process of installing ETO. Will report back with my findings... Thanks!!! :salute:

UPDATE *** HairSpin is correct. By making the suggested modification, enemy aircraft will NOT re-appear after they have been shot down. Also thanks for the heads up on ETO. Absolutely incredible!!! Thanks again!