PDA

View Full Version : Drinking & Driving

gigabyte
January 2nd, 2011, 06:11
We all know how society in general feels about Drinking and Driving, the message is still not getting to some, but this one really takes the cake;
=========================
HALIFAX - A woman is facing a charge of drunk driving after a collision with an RCMP cruiser on New Year's Eve in the Halifax area.
The Mounties say the incident happened at an intersection in Sackville shortly before midnight as the cruiser was responding to an emergency.
RCMP say the vehicle's emergency lights and siren were switched on at the time of the accident.
No one was hurt.
However, the cruiser and the other vehicle, a Volkswagen Jetta, were extensively damaged and had to be towed from the scene.
RCMP say the 34-year-old accused is due in provincial court on Feb. 9.

The only thought that comes to mind is - Ya just can't fix stupid!

wiltzei
January 2nd, 2011, 06:33
Generally speaking, toxicated drivers show such recklessness and selfishness towards other people that I donīt personally mind if he/she injures him/herself even fatally, if the reason to drive under any substance hindering ability to operate a vehicle influence isnīt a particularly good one. As soon as the are other parties involved, it starts to grind my gears. When a crash involving humans happens, it shouldnīt be called "an accident" by anyone, but rather than an attempt of murder. And the tendency that high profile persons such as annoying celebrities are less likely to face less strict legal consequences. Not that the most callous DUI drivers usually care of the law.

Brian_Gladden
January 2nd, 2011, 07:18
Back when I was an EMT.... If I had a drunk that had wrecked and hit someone else, they always got the biggest IV needle in the box. Whether they needed it or not :wiggle:

Daveroo
January 2nd, 2011, 10:19
when i was a firefighter...my police officer friends stressed to us they are not "accidents" they are traffic collitions or TC's someone is allways at fault..there is allways a reason for the crash...its never an "accident"...and if we ( the ffs) said we were at an accident or responding to an accident or something on the radio we got teased and harrassed by the cops...LOL

i also know first hand how easy it is to be the stupid on on the DUI end.....i drove drunk and got arrested...i had been in a nasty argument with my father earlier in the day and then it continuted to home..so i walked to my local bar...i got drunk and about 8 pm wlaked home....got hungry and instead of doing the smart thing and going to bed..i got in my car and drove the mile and a half to the pizza parlor...where i did a california stop in front of a police car and he followed me to my house and was going to chew me out.......but when i got out of the car and started talkin to him...he realised ow drunk i was..he couldnt let it pass and i didnt blame him any....i just told him i wished he would have pulled me over at the stop sign instead of following me home...

but he was a friend and he thought he was being nice....and besides the califoria stop seems i wasnt doing to bad.....sigh....

well im not proud of that night so dont think im braggarting...but that night is the last night ive taken a drink...nov 8th 1994,,,,,been sober since

mfitch
January 2nd, 2011, 17:37
Last year (2010) we did have a local woman convicted of murder 2 after killing people while driving drunk. She was a repeat offender with a revoked license and multiple people had tried to stop her from driving before the incident. None had authority to physically restrain her, but two called the police who were on their way when the fatal collision occurred.

gigabyte
January 2nd, 2011, 18:52
well im not proud of that night so dont think im braggarting...but that night is the last night ive taken a drink...nov 8th 1994,,,,,been sober since

Daveroo, my hats off to you my friend :salute:, you made a mistake and faced up to it like a man, not only that you learned from it and took the steps necessary to ensure you would not make the same mistake again.

I have never faced a charge for DUI, but that does not mean I didn't get behind the wheel after a few too many. I know in my younger days I must have although I never had an accident and can't recall ever driving drunk I know I must have been over the limit on a few occations. I also know I was at a point not that long ago where I drank far too much and although I had to stop because of the medications I was on at the time, I just never started back up, and I really don't miss it one little bit - I sure thought I would though.

DUI is finally getting the attention it should and maybe just maybe the message is getting out there finally we can only hope.

My point in starting this thread was to point out the stupidity of not only drinking and driving, but to highlight just how bad someone can get, I mean running into a cop car with the lights and siren going - bad move lady.