PDA

View Full Version : Short wave radio lingo

PRB
January 1st, 2011, 09:38
There is a term for a short wave radio (receiver) that can be tuned to any frequency between the minimum and maximum, as opposed to the cheaper, and far more common, type which can be tuned only within certain narrow bands within the minimum and maximum. What is that term? I'm trying to search for this type of radio online but it's hard to Google it if you don't know what word to look for...

Milton Shupe
January 1st, 2011, 10:55
I am guessing here: side band, or single side band. Do you have a scanner receiver or what?

PRB
January 1st, 2011, 11:05
I have a SW radio (Sangean ATS-818). It has four bands:

FM: 87.5 - 108 MHz
LS: 150 - 519 KHz
MW: 520 - 1710 KHz
SW: 1.711 - 29.999 MHz

So, evidently, the aircraft frequencies are not covered, nor are several other freq ranges. The lowest freq covered with this radio is 150 KHz, and the highest 30 MHz. But, only certain parts of this spectrum can be tuned. I read once that you can buy receivers that cover the entire RF spectrum from, in this case, 150 KHz to 30.00 MHz. I remember doing some research on this in that past, and discovering that such radios are also expensive.

Roger
January 1st, 2011, 11:10
Paul,
The best type of short wave receiver (500kHz-30mHz) is one using a phase locked loop like the Barlow Wadley(sp?) type. Such a system was used in the Yaesu Musen Frg-7 receiver which I used 20 or 30 years ago.
Also as Milton suggested the ability to select different bandwidth filters and a bfo for sideband transmissions.

Ickie
January 1st, 2011, 11:29
VFO :salute:

I use to have a Yaesu 101 EX, the best damm radio I ever owned, it had removable cyrstals and I had them all, lol, i use to buy my cyrstals from Jan's cyrstals in Miami

I remember about 10 years ago when I still had my tower and beams I tried to call Roger one night but he cold not hear me.

robert41
January 1st, 2011, 11:42
Years ago I was into radio immensely. I found out that there was no one radio that will cover the entire rf spectrum. I had several that I bought, made, and modified for LF, HF, VHF, and UHF. Some were old tube sets, others digital. But the one part that can make or break a radio is the antenna.

PRB
January 1st, 2011, 11:43
VFO, hmm. My Sangean has a tune "wheel", in addition to the keypad for directly entering freqs. Does that mean I have a VFO? In reading about the history of VFO, it seems the alternative was crystals, which is really old technology, no?

PRB
January 1st, 2011, 11:44
Years ago I was into radio immensely. I found out that there was no one radio that will cover the entire rf spectrum. I had several that I bought, made, and modified for LF, HF, VHF, and UHF. Some were old tube sets, others digital. But the one part that can make or break a radio is the antenna.

Rgr on the antenna! It makes all the difference.

robert41
January 1st, 2011, 12:21
Beat freq oscillator. Used to tune in the single side bands on a SW reciever. My time with radio was just before personal computers and cell phones became the norm. One of the reasons that I lost interest in radio.

n4gix
January 1st, 2011, 12:40
There is a term for a short wave radio (receiver) that can be tuned to any frequency between the minimum and maximum, as opposed to the cheaper, and far more common, type which can be tuned only within certain narrow bands within the minimum and maximum. What is that term? I'm trying to search for this type of radio online but it's hard to Google it if you don't know what word to look for...

The term you're describing is "continuous tuning." Search Google with the keywords:
continuous tuning shortwave radio

One example is the Sangean ATS 909:

CONTINUOUS TUNING allows the reception of any frequency from 153kHz through 29999kHz plus FM 87.5-108MHz

PRB
January 1st, 2011, 13:22
The term you're describing is "continuous tuning." Search Google with the keywords:
continuous tuning shortwave radio

One example is the Sangean ATS 909:

I think that's what I looking for. Thanks!

Roger
January 1st, 2011, 13:27
I used to have to pay £15.00 a year to renew my Amateur Radio Licence G8 VLR but now it's in perpetuity. Also in the UK we so-called B licence holders now have a full licence for all available bands. Trouble is I have little interest in amateur radio these days, but perhaps when I retire I might get all the old gear out again, especially my 1.2 gigaHz gear where a decent high gain Yagi is small and cheap!

tonybones2112
January 2nd, 2011, 02:25

Paul, many ham radios have ham transmit and what they call Full Spectrum receive, the slang term is DC To Daylight. I know what you want, can't think of it, I've been inactive on my ham/CB/scanner/shortwave hobby.

Tony

PRB
January 2nd, 2011, 14:50
Thanks Tony.

My other problem is antennas. The Sangean is an ok radio, but with just the little antenna it comes with you're very limited in what you can pick up. An old friend of mine from the navy was (still is) a ham radio person. He had a great rig in the house, with a huge antenna on the roof of his house. He could pick up stations all over the world.

Roger
January 2nd, 2011, 14:54
What frequencies are you interested in Paul?

Ickie
January 2nd, 2011, 14:59
I have one of these and have used it for 30 years, they never get old, lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/MFJ-934-300W-HF-ANTENNA-TUNER-W-ARTIFICIAL-GROUND-L-K-/120664531384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c182aa1b8

PRB
January 2nd, 2011, 15:00
Two catagories, I think. I'd like to be able to tune aircraft comm frequencies, and also the short wave freqs from stations around the world. And the common AM/FM spectrum. The Sangean has all that except the A/C freqs, but I can't pick up much in SW, I think because of the crappy antenna.

PRB
January 2nd, 2011, 15:03
I have one of these and have used it for 30 years, they never get old, lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/MFJ-934-300W-HF-ANTENNA-TUNER-W-ARTIFICIAL-GROUND-L-K-/120664531384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c182aa1b8

What is that, exactly? Is it a reciever? My brother used to have a huge pile of old radios, some from the navy, as he worked as a cryptologic tech.

Ickie
January 2nd, 2011, 15:04
antenna tuner, I use to brag that it could tune a coat hanger to match your freq

in my van I have a rigg 25,000 to 30,000 MHz, 10-11 meter and I use it to tune my wilson intenna

it even has a long wire hookup on the back

PRB
January 2nd, 2011, 15:06
antenna tuner, I use to brag that it could tune a coat hanger to match your freq

in my van I have a rigg 25,000 to 30,000 MHz, 10-11 meter and I use it to tune my wilson intenna

Does it sit between the antenna and the receiver?

Ickie
January 2nd, 2011, 15:08
yes between and it is used for trans and receive, up to 300 watts, it even has a dummy load for tuneing on 10 - 160 meters

TeaSea
January 2nd, 2011, 15:12
I'm not a HAM, but an old Army Signal guy...

You guys are making me nostalgic for old RATT rigs....

Ickie
January 2nd, 2011, 15:13
I once hooked it to my old 70's short wave receiver and you would not believe what I could hear. and I did this with a 5/8 wave fire stick

Ickie
January 2nd, 2011, 15:21
BTW MFJ stands for "Mississippi's Finest Junk"

Ickie
January 2nd, 2011, 15:29
Here is my house
see the lightning rod, lol

robert41
January 2nd, 2011, 15:48
For SW listening, I strung a wire across the ceiling and outside between the house and trees for an antenna. Worked pretty good. For VHF and UHF, I had expensive antennas mounted on the roof. The aircraft bands are 108 to 136Mhz and 225 to 400Mhz in AM mode.

Ickie
January 2nd, 2011, 16:00
If anyone is interested I have a 12-13 band SW receiver, ac/dc and if you offer a fair price, this is the delux radio, not easily found. It dates 1970'ish its AM/FM HF and VHF and sideband with wide or narrow bandwidth

tonybones2112
January 3rd, 2011, 13:21
Thanks Tony.

My other problem is antennas. The Sangean is an ok radio, but with just the little antenna it comes with you're very limited in what you can pick up. An old friend of mine from the navy was (still is) a ham radio person. He had a great rig in the house, with a huge antenna on the roof of his house. He could pick up stations all over the world.

Paul, the Sangean you mention is identical to mine, it's a world class receiver with the right antenna. my antenna for my Sangean was two 102 inch CB whips on a home made dipole mount, it snatched signals right down into 160 meters. about 10 feet off the ground.

Bones

PRB
January 3rd, 2011, 14:17
Paul, the Sangean you mention is identical to mine, it's a world class receiver with the right antenna. my antenna for my Sangean was two 102 inch CB whips on a home made dipole mount, it snatched signals right down into 160 meters. about 10 feet off the ground.

Bones

Interesting. I think I will look into making an antenna... Thanks Tony.

Ickie
January 3rd, 2011, 14:51
456 divided by the freq = length in meters for long wire, now divide that by 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/8 gives you the antenna you want for that freq

TeaSea
January 4th, 2011, 15:47
Yes, and an M-16 is approx. a yard long, which you use as your ruler. Get your doublet 1/2 half the wavelength off the ground, point it the right way and ground your radio.....or go with an inverted V.....

Oh, sorry....flashback.