PDA

View Full Version : Plugging the gap...

ndicki
January 1st, 2011, 03:18
There IS a gap - between mid-1942 and early 1943, when we simply do not have the right type of Bf109, namely the g-2 and g-4. Short of a new model (which apparently may be somewhere in the system) the only alternative is to use an existing one. We poked about at the f-4 a bit but dropped it because for an interim effort, it required far too much new input. So this is the final result, built on the MS stock g-6, and you'll just have to pretend that the bumps aren't there. The technical details on the paint scheme are all 100% correct, so it is only the visual model itself which is at fault. Nothing we can do. Meanwhile, it gets the full treatment - new sounds, correct flight dynamics and gun types, etc, etc. Under final testing at the moment...

Obviously, given the use this type received, we'll be concentrating on the Med and House Hobbit's Russian Front mod for MAW.

First is Werner Schroer of 8./JG 27.

HouseHobbit
January 1st, 2011, 03:28
BRAVO Nigel..
Wonderful...
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

phrog_phixer
January 1st, 2011, 05:33
Nice work!

ndicki
January 1st, 2011, 06:06
Wilhelm Crinius went both ways, Eastern Front and MAW... After his mad spree with this aircraft during August and September 1942 near Stalingrad - his 15th kill on 1st August, and his... 100th on 22nd September! - he went with I./JG 53 to Tunisia in November. He claimed a further 14 kills in North Africa before being shot down on 13th January 1943 by an RAF Spitfire and taken prisoner.

HouseHobbit
January 1st, 2011, 07:21
WOW!!!!!
This will have to be used in the eastern front Axis missions and in the Russian set as the Bad guy..
Thanks Very Much..
:salute: :salute: :salute:

Led Zeppelin
January 1st, 2011, 10:26
Nice ones, as usual!!

The only thing that give me trouble with the AvH V4 FM is the very high damping effect on the pitch direction, whatever the model is (from E to K). I tried some twiks but I've not been able to change this.

ndicki
January 1st, 2011, 11:40
Are you sure you don't have the one I uploaded by accident, with the pitch parameters set too high? There was a fix for this that you should have got. Otherwise, speak to Rene! He understands these things. I'm just the painter...

This must be one of the very last G-2 aircraft to leave the production lines painted RLM 78 and 79. It was flown by Oberst Gustav Roedel, Kommodore JG 27, from Catania in Sicily in the early summer of 1943. It was found abandoned when the Allies took the airfield in July.

MajorMagee
January 1st, 2011, 18:33
That first shot could be a photo...

popsaka
January 1st, 2011, 19:43
...and truly masterful bump concealment:applause:

now if we could just get a booster chair for our young pilot
so he might be able to reach his food :p:

Is there really a chance of an early G model in the "system"? :greenbo:

Led Zeppelin
January 2nd, 2011, 00:49
Are you sure you don't have the one I uploaded by accident, with the pitch parameters set too high?
Yes I'm sure!! I've got this for all V4 109's FM (from Emil to K4). When the pitch parameter is set higher in the tuning section, the pitch damping is reduced or disappear but the aircraft is very, very, very slow to move in the pitch direction.

ndicki
January 2nd, 2011, 00:56

To be frank, I have no real idea. I live in hope, too...

ndicki
January 2nd, 2011, 11:37
The first three above have been uploaded.

This one might hit a few targets, too...

HouseHobbit
January 2nd, 2011, 14:59
...and truly masterful bump concealment:applause:

now if we could just get a booster chair for our young pilot
so he might be able to reach his food :p:

HEY!! I am using a booster seat!!!:icon_lol:

It is not my fault these things are not made for Hobbits!!!:icon_lol:

Truly Beautiful Nigel.. THANKS..

alain95
January 3rd, 2011, 04:54
And would have been glad to see that these old birds are still alive in 2011 !
(Even in simulators)

Happy new year Nigel !

ndicki
January 3rd, 2011, 07:04
Here's another new type - a G-2/R2 photographic reconnaissance aircraft. This is W.Nr 10605 Black 14 of 2(H)/14, flown by Lt Wernicke, and shot down over Zarzis on 20th February 1943. It has full internal armament and the "camera view" trick we used on the previous PR aircraft. Coming soon!

Meilleurs voeux, Alain!

popsaka
January 3rd, 2011, 17:01
...just finished the Finnish air war on YouTube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLW9vFJ6qa8

Those lads flew everything from 109g6s to Fokker XXIs Gladiators Curtis H75/P36s
Blenhiem mkIs and IVs to the kitchen sink... (and prolly anything else they could get their mittens on!) and with good results, keeping the Ruskies at bay... From what I have gathered, attacking Finland was not the smoothest of moves... (it didn't bother Herr Hitler, though)

The only thing we're missing is the Brewster, which apparently the Finns really loved.

popsaka
January 3rd, 2011, 17:35
Nigel, have you done any Finnish skins for the MS 406? (I hope I'm not drifting too far off topic)

ndicki
January 4th, 2011, 01:53
Two or three, a long time ago. They'll be in the archives as complete aircraft, but what you really need to do is strip off the skins and fit them to the MAW/W40 MS406, which has the same mapping but a later model, cockpit and FM/DM.

greycap.raf
January 4th, 2011, 06:49
From what I have gathered, attacking Finland was not the smoothest of moves...

Well, no... time for two interesting facts!

During the war there were quite a lot of countries in Europe on the Axis side. All but one of them were occupied at one point or another. I guess it was too cold up here.

When the major Allied operations began to roll in 1944 there were five major battlefields. Normandy, southern France, Italy, German eastern front and Finnish eastern front. In all but one of them the Allies broke through.

Yes, I'm pretty *bleep*ing proud to be Finnish when military history is being talked about.

MajorMagee
January 4th, 2011, 14:21
Well, no... time for two interesting facts!

During the war there were quite a lot of countries in Europe on the Axis side. All but one of them were occupied at one point or another. I guess it was too cold up here.

When the major Allied operations began to roll in 1944 there were five major battlefields. Normandy, southern France, Italy, German eastern front and Finnish eastern front. In all but one of them the Allies broke through.

Yes, I'm pretty *bleep*ing proud to be Finnish when military history is being talked about.

I'm also into Steel Beasts Pro PE, and there is a strong contingent of Finns over there, so I know what you mean about being proud and accomplished fighters.

ndicki
January 6th, 2011, 06:04
One of the other interesting facts is that to begin with, Finland was essentially an Allied country, with equipment, aircraft in particular, being supplied by Britain, France and the USA for use against the Soviets, who were "allied" with Germany! It was only the German attack on the USSR which forced them into the other camp.

ndicki
January 9th, 2011, 00:13
Just uploaded the g-2/R2, for all the Photographic Reconnaissance types out there!

phrog_phixer
January 9th, 2011, 02:57
ndicki, you are truly a Bf 109 expert! I always look forward to your next work of art! I wish we had an award to give to talented folks like you! :medals:

One question; I am not a very good pilot so when I have to bail out (which is often), I have a "copilot" jumping with me from your 109's. Is there a fix for this?

ndicki
January 9th, 2011, 03:32
One question; I am not a very good pilot so when I have to bail out (which is often), I have a "copilot" jumping with me from your 109's. Is there a fix for this?

Very odd... I think it must be to do with the fact that I've added an "Observer" position in the xdp, although I've never noticed a co-pilot jumping out with me! Try editing out the observer's position and see if it makes any difference.

ndicki
January 9th, 2011, 03:41
Jagdgeschwader 54 is the archetypal Eastern Front Geschwader, as it served almost exclusively on the Eastern Front from day one, mostly in the Northern areas - Leningrad and the Baltic, although III./JG 54, the unit this aircraft belongs to, did transfer to the West in February 1943.

JG 54 was known for its often unusual camouflage schemes, and this aircraft, from Stab III./JG 54 in September 1942, was no exception. In fact though a number of units on the Northern Front used this pre-war style of RLM 70/71 splinter camouflage. This G-2 was flown by Hauptmann Reinhard Seiler, based at Novo Lissino.

wsmwsm
January 9th, 2011, 05:55
Very odd... I think it must be to do with the fact that I've added an "Observer" position in the xdp, although I've never noticed a co-pilot jumping out with me! Try editing out the observer's position and see if it makes any difference.

Noticed this as well on your wonderful Bf109G aircraft. Took your advise about editing out the observer from the XDP file and the second jumper disappears.

HouseHobbit
January 9th, 2011, 08:51
Great...
I've been hiding it the back of these, Where do ya think I hide when I piss off the Masters??
Now i have to find a new place to hide..
Observer, it's a hiding Hobbit..:jump:
Thanks Nigel for these They will make a Great addition to the eastern front MAW pack I am developing for your Wonderful Birds..
Bravo..

phrog_phixer
January 9th, 2011, 09:20
lol, sorry about ratting you out HH!!

ndicki
January 9th, 2011, 09:36
Did you say Eastern Front?

OFw Wilhelm Schilling, 9./JG 54, Siverskaya, September 1942.

HouseHobbit
January 9th, 2011, 10:12
Beautiful, Just Bloody beautiful..
BRAVO

hairyspin
January 9th, 2011, 10:19
These JG54 skins are very fine Nigel! :medals: :medals: :medals:

ndicki
January 9th, 2011, 11:13
Thank you!

gosd
January 9th, 2011, 19:32
Here's another new type - a G-2/R2 photographic reconnaissance aircraft. This is W.Nr 10605 Black 14 of 2(H)/14, flown by Lt Wernicke, and shot down over Zarzis on 20th February 1943. It has full internal armament and the "camera view" trick we used on the previous PR aircraft. Coming soon!

Meilleurs voeux, Alain!

This is the third recon A/C that Nigel treats us to, the other two being :
DR2_109g2_W4Ch(Roedel) and DR2_109g8_Bl11.:ernae::salute:
I think there was a mission that used the DR2_109g8_Bl11 but Icant seem to find it anymore.

popsaka
January 9th, 2011, 20:11
These last two... My favorites, so far, Nigel it looks like the near black paint was over a lighter 'patchwork' sort of camo... is this the case?

BTW, just in case its not assumed, THANX... and keep 'em coming!:jump:

Led Zeppelin
January 10th, 2011, 03:23
I think there was a mission that used the DR2_109g8_Bl11 but Icant seem to find it anymore.
Here it is! :wiggle:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=70&linkid=2731

ndicki
January 10th, 2011, 10:21
This is the third recon A/C that Nigel treats us to, the other two being :
DR2_109g2_W4Ch(Roedel) and DR2_109g8_Bl11.:ernae::salute:

Roedel's is a simple G-2 Trop fighter, not a recce aircraft. There are the following recce aircraft: G-2/R2, G-4/R3 and G-8.

ndicki
January 10th, 2011, 10:27
These last two... My favorites, so far, Nigel it looks like the near black paint was over a lighter 'patchwork' sort of camo... is this the case?

BTW, just in case its not assumed, THANX... and keep 'em coming!:jump:

RLM 70 and 71, namely Black-Green and Dark Green, the same colours as used on most early-war aircraft. Although they were dropped on fighters in mid-1940 in favour of RLM 02 Grey-Green with 71 Dark Green, and later in the last months of 1940 the three-tones of grey scheme (76 undersides, 74 and 75 uppersurfaces), the scheme was reintroduced on the Northern Front. This parallels Finnish use of Olive Green and Black in the same type of landscape.

The patchwork is just simple dirt thrown up by the main gear, weathering and general filth!

gosd
January 10th, 2011, 17:43
Roedel's is a simple G-2 Trop fighter, not a recce aircraft. There are the following recce aircraft: G-2/R2, G-4/R3 and G-8.

I stand corrected,thanks Nigel !

gosd
January 10th, 2011, 17:47
Here it is! :wiggle:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=70&linkid=2731

I knew it was outhere some where,thanks Led Zeppelin !:ernae: