PDA

View Full Version : Iris F-20 Tigershark

brettt777
December 29th, 2010, 06:16
I see from the manual and by looking at the GPS hml file that the stock F-20 GPS should be operational but I cannot get it to power up at all. Everything else seems to work okay but this device doesn't. How does it turn on? If I put my cursor over the power knob, nothing happens to allow me to press it. What am I missing here? I could, like the manual says, just substitute the standard MS/Garmin device in the panel.cfg file but I'd really like to make this thing work so I can edit a flight plane and maybe figure out how the ILS works in this thing. Speaking of that, assuming that I get some kind of GPS working, will the ILS actualy engage and fly the plane down to minimums? I sort of got it to track the localizer in approach mode but it was really sluggish and wandered all over the place. But the glide slope never engaged. Does this function work or do I need to install a Garmin 530 and Trutrak autopilot? (I'm an avionics tech by trade and specialize in L-39s).

glennc
December 29th, 2010, 06:56
Brett,

I don't have the F-20 but it isn't at all uncommon for a developer to leave out an avionics master switch especially on older aircraft. I have mapped Ctrl-A to the Avionics master to get past that. No power to the GPS (Usualy on the stock GPSs the moving map is working but none of the buttons do), just hit Ctrl-A. The next problem, which I doubt will apply to the F-20, is no operational generator or mags so the GPS goes dead again about 20 minutes later.

Glenn

brettt777
December 29th, 2010, 10:22
Okay I was slightly off in my description of what works and what doesn't. The thing is apparently on but all it says is "no flight plan loaded" and none of the buttons and knobs are active with the cursor.

glennc
December 29th, 2010, 12:27
Brett, Another "here's what happens in other aiplanes": It sounds like it is expecting to find a loaded FSX flight plan. I know Iris's T-6 Texan II works that way. There is no way to enter even a "Direct-To" in the cockpit.

I hope that's closer.

Glenn

brettt777
December 31st, 2010, 07:12
Looks like you hit the nail on the head Glenn. I made up a flight plan of about half a dozen waypoints from McChord AFB to NAS Whidbey and when I brought up the F-20 the flight plan was there and flew flawlessly. However I am still not thrilled about not being able to enter a destination on the fly. So I may have to edit the panel.cfg as the manual says and install the old reliable MS/Garmin GPS.
Thanks again.

Warrant
December 31st, 2010, 08:56
I also added the good old Garmin by altering the panel.cfg. Works fine for me. Love the small fighter, although i would have liked it if the baby had a radar to come along with those nice AIM-120's as optional load. Besides that, a GBU load (and TGP) would have been nice as well.

Still one of my favorites, she flies like an angel!

scotsman
December 31st, 2010, 12:04
Love that plane, too.
However - the HUD does not work for me. Reinstalled the plane twice now without any success. Turned all switches but no HUD at all.
Any solution from here?

Mike

Smudge
December 31st, 2010, 17:09
You're running Acceleration??

scotsman
January 1st, 2011, 03:59
Yes, I do.
Bought it when the native FSX Fouga arrived to enjoy carrier landings.
Mike