PDA

View Full Version : Team SOH Needs You!

PRB
December 28th, 2010, 07:24
It's racing season again, and Team SOH is recruiting!

Here's how the race works. Four teams, AVSIM, FlightSim, iFlyOnline, and SOH compete each year in a race around the world in FS. The race is conducted in the form of a relay race. A pilot from Team SOH takes off, and lands at an airport several hundred miles away. Upon landing, the next pilot from the team will take off from that airport and land a few hundred miles further. The first team to return the “virtual baton” back to the originating airport wins. It isn't quite that simple, of course, as there are time penalties assessed for flying in excess of the allowed leg time, or flying a leg longer than the approved leg length. And if you crash upon landing, the leg is invalid and must be flown again. There are also time bonuses awarded for landing at certain airports. In general, aircraft must be piston engine powered, although parts of the event, ocean crossings, continent crossings, etc., are open to jets. We don't know what the specific rules will be this year, since they are different each year.

The race takes place each year in February. The key to winning this event is 1) Not crashing, and 2) keeping the baton moving, and not sitting idle at some airport. This means we need pilots, the more the better. If you don't think you have what it takes, worry not. We hold practice sessions each year starting around this time, and on 30 December we will start our first practice. Visit the Multi-player forum for details of this year's first practice:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=47443 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=47443)

The rules for last year's race can be found at the official Round The World Race site:

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/rules.htm (http://www.fsrtwrace.com/rules.htm)

We, Team SOH, won this event in 2008, and it was a lot of fun.

warchild
December 28th, 2010, 13:21
welll, sadly, the P-61 team wont be able to jin this years race.. We wont have it available to the general public for some time.. But I wish everyone the very very best. Lets win it again :)..
Pam

PRB
December 28th, 2010, 14:02
Rgr that Pam. Next year, however, I plan on flying the big Northrop Twin in the race, so get more rivet guns! :icon_lol:

Roger
December 28th, 2010, 16:07
This is a great way to enhance the standing of the SOH. If my internet connection allowed a half decent multiplayer connection I'd be there.

Tako_Kichi
December 28th, 2010, 16:17
This is a great way to enhance the standing of the SOH. If my internet connection allowed a half decent multiplayer connection I'd be there.
You DON'T need a MP connection to fly with the team. It's just more fun if you can fly in MP.

As long as you have an internet connection to make forum posts and send log files you are good to go.

srgalahad
December 28th, 2010, 18:10
Pam,
The 'WidowMakers" can join.. you just have to step out of the -61 for a few hours and fly one of the alternatives (there are some, you know :jump:)

Roger, and any others who fret about being connected...
As TK said, there is NO requirement to fly online. It helps both the 'Baton pilot' and the rest of the team but only as far as simplifying the flow of information. You DO need a connection to make the required posts ( no different than posting this with attachments). A TeamSpeak connection (TS3) is also an aid that takes less bandwidth and can help pass info around.

Also, I'll add that it would really help to have a few more team members from Europe. In the past the majority have been N. American-based, but as the race is a 24 hour, 5 day event the early-morning European hours can be thinly populated.

All the bits about what to fly, how to fly it, what you need for set-up will be posted and briefed over the next 2 months so don't worry about the process, but DO come and share you flying skills.

Not sure you can fly a two-hour leg and land safely, there are also lots of 'learning" opportunities as weather-checkers, scouts, planners to allow you to be involved.

Rob

warchild
December 28th, 2010, 19:50
Oh, i'll be there.. :;chuckles:; looking at aircraft speed and range as i type this.. It also gives me a year to develop a p-61E/F-15; The only plane that could keep up with the F-82 Twin mustang that i can think of at the moment.. other aircraft are faster ( but not by much ), but dont have the range to truly be a contender..

Willy
December 28th, 2010, 20:01
P-38s are a traditional standard in the RTW. F8F Bearcats and P-51 Mustangs have also been strong contenders. The new SOH F7F-3 Tigercat looks to be a winner as well. The AlphaSim DH Hornets are favorites too. Good rule of thumb is fast and can do a couple of hours flat out without refueling.