PDA

View Full Version : B-17 Controller config problem

SADT
December 27th, 2010, 17:47
Hi Guys,

Is there a way to configure the B-17 to have all engines on one throttle? I have a Saitek pro throttle quadrant but the Y axis has some "maintenance" issues so it is better used as a prop lever, and whenever I assign all engines to the X axis, engines one and two are assigned, but three and four have no controller. Also, how do I repair detonation damage? While after tuning my turbos on the ground, I looked at the maintenance hangar I saw that all four engines had signs of detonation.

Thanks in advance. :)

glennc
December 27th, 2010, 18:02
Craig, I see you found the maintenance hanger - your answer to repairing the engines is there - keeping it from happening is more fun. Essentially, take it easy with the throttles and watch the numbers on the shift-F3 or F4 (don't remember which) and see what the max settings are for various phases of flight. A2A's airplanes are not slam all the levers foward and go for it. For the controller, have you found the configurator? It is at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A\B17\Tools on my machine. There is a lot of flexibility there. I don't know if it will handle your situation, you will have to experiment.

Maybe not a lot of help. If you haven't you may want to check A2A's forums.

Glenn

SADT
December 27th, 2010, 18:10
Craig, I see you found the maintenance hanger - your answer to repairing the engines is there - keeping it from happening is more fun. Essentially, take it easy with the throttles and watch the numbers on the shift-F3 or F4 (don't remember which) and see what the max settings are for various phases of flight. A2A's airplanes are not slam all the levers foward and go for it. For the controller, have you found the configurator? It is at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A\B17\Tools on my machine. There is a lot of flexibility there. I don't know if it will handle your situation, you will have to experiment.

Maybe not a lot of help. If you haven't you may want to check A2A's forums.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

I have tried using the configuration tool and it allows me to tie all engines to one throttle, but in sim, 1 and 2 are on x axis and 2 and 3 have no assignment. I tried using the maintenance hangar to repair all the cylinders (where detonation occurs) but there is still a little message saying "signs of detonation) I dont want to overhaul my engines as that means re-tuning the turbos, how I caused the problem in the first place!

glennc
December 27th, 2010, 19:47
Craig,

Check your FSX controller selections for the throttles, maybe there is a conflict there. That happened to me. I have a dual throttle set up, a Logitech G940. So I have three controller configurators in play, A2As, Logitech's and FSX's. It was lot of "fun" getting all that working properly. Four engine aircraft are a real challenge with that setup - it's either all on one throttle, or left side only. A2A provides something no one else does. The issue with something like the B-17, and even the DC-3 from other places is that ground handling needs differential thrust. The tailwheel is not steerable.

For the engines, I know the manual covers detonation so some reading is in order if you haven't already. That's really what Accusim is all about. Watch the manifold pressures and temps closely. The engines can overheat on the ground so a long taxi can be enough to do it. Let your co-pilot handle the cowl flaps and intercoolers. Same thing after landing. The engines need some time to cool.

I just saw your signature. I know I'm preaching to the choir on steerable tailwheels.

good luck.

Glenn

robert41
December 27th, 2010, 20:10
A thought about the detonation, do you have the updates from A2A? One update fixed the detonation issues and one fixed the sound issues.

SADT
December 27th, 2010, 20:15
Hi Robert,

Thanks for that as well, yes I do have the update.