PDA

View Full Version : UbiSoft Lock On Platinum

Devildog73
December 27th, 2010, 17:07
Any of you guys ever fly this sim?

I think it was made in Russia, it has 2 US birds: A-10 and F-15, the other six are Russian.
Most of the background conversations are in Russian.

It has a book, but it has NO control cheat sheet, so you have to try and memorize the shortcuts, or go through and write them down from the menu onscreen.

So far, I only know how to take off, land, dispense chaff and flares, and shoot the cannons. I am having some issues toggling weapons into the missile modes, and finding the target lock systems.

simonu
December 27th, 2010, 17:53
The manual from the regular edition has keyboard shortcuts on the last two pages.

CP1207
December 27th, 2010, 17:59
Just got it for an Xmas present.
Flew the F-15 briefly after install. Followed by EggNog. Flight impressions not clear.

Currently crashing biplanes in Rise of Flight which I also got at the same time.

Do I have a great wife (that wants me to leave her alone) or what???:mixedsmi:
So no help to you, but hopefully this will stir up other comments...

gigabyte
December 27th, 2010, 18:55
I have been flying Lockon for a few years - well more like crashing aircraft with great frequency... it is an awsome sim. There are several versions I have Lockon Modern Air Combat (LOMAC) and the second Flaming Cliffs Add on, it adds the SU 25 which is the Russian equivlent to the A10.

There should be a Doc folder in the installation and it did have the default Key commands on a printable PDF card here is the path for the folder in my install - [S:\Games\Ubisoft\LOMAC\Doc] I did not install in the default location so yours will be somewhat different. There was also an RTF file that listed all of the possible assignments included in one of the patches, I converted it to PDF and attaching it here hope it helps.

gigabyte
December 27th, 2010, 19:15
Any of you guys ever fly this sim?

I think it was made in Russia, it has 2 US birds: A-10 and F-15, the other six are Russian.
Most of the background conversations are in Russian.

It has a book, but it has NO control cheat sheet, so you have to try and memorize the shortcuts, or go through and write them down from the menu onscreen.

So far, I only know how to take off, land, dispense chaff and flares, and shoot the cannons. I am having some issues toggling weapons into the missile modes, and finding the target lock systems.

There is a really good forum for the Sim, http://forums.eagle.ru/index.php worth checking out, there are links to the "Official" and fan made patches in there, I recommend sticking to the Official patches. You will find some good fan made maps and tips tho.

One thing to remember flying and using the systems on each aircraft is very different, and so are the key combo's, for example the US aircraft use 2 seperate keys for wepons, the trigger for guns/cannon (trigger and or space bar), and a Launch key for missles/bombs (Joy button 2 and or Ctl+Space bar), the Russian aircraft seem to all use the trigger to fire the active wepon.

There is A LOT to learn in this sim, the Wep control systems are not simple, and it is not a case of Lock then fire, some aircraft use Beyond Visual Range (VERY KWEL) wepons and you must aim and lock on a VDU before hitting the launch key.

There is a long steep learning curve with LOMAC and the other sims in this family (DCS Blackshark is also extremely cool - Russian Attack chopper) and flying the training missions is pretty much a must to becoming successful. It is well worth the time and effort it takes if you really like modern imersive combat Sims this is the best IMHO.

BTW don't overlook the Russian aircraft, the Mig 29(s) there are a couple of versions, and the SU 27/33 are very fun to fly, and the SU27 is very challenging with it's Carrier takoff and landing ability - I still crash the thing into the deck more often than I land it.

There is online play with LOMAC as well and it does connect to DCS Blackshark for online coop flight, I have never tried it, but watching their forums they seem to be quite active so if that is your thing it is an option.

Best of luck with it and keep the shinny side up.

Devildog73
December 28th, 2010, 04:50
Thanks guys.

I knew that our CFS2ers would have answers to other flight sims.
I got this one from one of my granddaughters for Christmas and had to try it out.

I love flying jets and have a cfs2 install of ONLY jets.

My Jane's F/A 18 will not work under XP, VISTA, nor WIN-7, nor will my USN Fighters.
Those CDs are just coffee mug coasters now.
I have thought about going to a pawn shop and getting an older computer to install my Win 98SE on so that I can load those bad boys up again.

But, all things said and done: CFS2 is my passion, because of what can be done with it.
If only MS would release the code to us so that some of you REAL computer software guys could take us to the next level on CFS2.....

Devildog73
December 28th, 2010, 04:54
Oh, and on the major learning curve.........I see that. IF it had not been one of my granddaughters that lives with me, I would not bother with it. I am not into major learning curves to have fun.

I like the simplicity of CFS2 keyboard, mouse, and stick commands.
I like some of our panels that I can just mouse and click a toggle on the panel to activate, de-activate stuff on the aircraft.

AND, thanks for attaching the short-cuts, I will print them off and use them.

gigabyte
December 28th, 2010, 11:20
Devildog73, I kind of gave up my first time in and left it alone for a year, but when I went back at it I decided to just concentrate on one aircraft and did all the training missions for the F15. Once I completed the training I was very comofrtable and got much enjoyment out of the sim, even the training was fun. So if you start and can stick with one plane in the begining you will most likely find it well worth the time spent learning, I gained a whole new respect for fighter jocks once I became fimular with all the screens and controls they have to deal with all at the same time.