PDA

View Full Version : Fsx install to i7

Curtis P40
December 27th, 2010, 14:19
Making the move to FSX. I have read some of the posts on installing FSX Gold, but can't find them now. :isadizzy: I seem to remember Not letting Fsx load to the "Program Files" folder, is this correct ? I am using Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Also have two WD VelocRaptor hard drives. I was planing on putting the OS and whatever I collect on one drive. The other drive would be only FSX.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Curt

scottmm73
December 27th, 2010, 17:19
I guess I'll be the first to reply to your thread here. Simviation has quite a few threads related to your post.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html

It is quite a long read but very detailed and will answer your questions. My suggestion is to print out Nick N's posts corresponding to your system.

XLR8
December 27th, 2010, 19:43
Put your FSX in the X86program files.

guzler
December 28th, 2010, 08:46
I am running an I7 and set up an extra drive to put all my flight sim stuff on. My location is E:Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Installed no problems, and being on it's own drive keeps things tide. I got Wings of Prey, CFS3, CFS3 ETO and FSX all on a seperate drive. All my scenery and aircraft (well almost) are outside the FSX root folder on the same drive with a modified FSX.cfg to see them.

Hope that helps

hairyspin
December 28th, 2010, 12:10
For what it's worth, I reinstalled Win7 64-bit recently after the last hard drive died. FSX Gold also had to be reinstalled and I just let it get on with it. The installer installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games without any intervention from me and the sim runs just fine.

If you prefer installing to another drive then that should also be cool, especially if you plan developing for FSX - it avoids the UAC irritation

HighGround22
December 28th, 2010, 12:50
. . . two WD VelocRaptor hard drives. I was planing on putting the OS and whatever I collect on one drive. The other drive would be only FSX. . . .
So note that there'd be no problem with putting it in D:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator X. The only spot where there's a need to be vigilant (X86) is if you're installing to C:

gigabyte
December 28th, 2010, 13:24
So note that there'd be no problem with putting it in D:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator X. The only spot where there's a need to be vigilant (X86) is if you're installing to C:

Highground22 you are quite correct, I set-up a dedicated drive for just my FSX install and assigned it as drive G: when I install anything (including the original FSX install) I simply change the drive letter to G: and leave the rest at the default settings, it has worked flawless for me since I went this route and I highly recommend it.

Curtis P40
December 28th, 2010, 14:31
Wow...Thanks everyone. :wavey: My old Dell quit playing FS9 over a month ago, and now I'm going though FS withdraws ! I thought I'd just get a new computer, flop FSX in it and off I'd go. WRONG. lol It took alot of :banghead: just to figure out what kind of computer I wanted/needed. And now as to just flopping FSX in...New computer is suppose to be done tomorrow, so guess I'll find out. Gotta be better than flying paper airplanes out the upstairs window on to the neighbors roof.

Again Thank You, and I hope your New Year is better than the last two.
Curt