PDA

View Full Version : The New F-15SE

Rattler
December 27th, 2010, 12:26
Tomorrows Fighter Here Today!!!, Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4i9kQ9MFkI&feature=related :salute::salute::salute:

tommieboy
December 27th, 2010, 13:11
Thanks for the link.....

Don't know what country is going to want that; not the U.S.

Tommy

Barfly
December 27th, 2010, 14:33
Probably the usual suspects for export: S Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Israel.

warchild
December 27th, 2010, 19:36
Guys.. I
m going to move this over to the newshawks forum which is where it is a better fit..

Allen
December 28th, 2010, 13:56
Far as I know Boeing made the F-15SE for usual suspects and Australia that wanted the Fail-22 but the US government forbid it sell. The F-115SE stealth level is allowed for export by the US government.

I'm wondering how long it will be tell Boeing starts to sell "bolt on" stealth upgrads for it.

Panther_99FS
December 28th, 2010, 14:43
Fail-22 .

Why is it "Fail"..:ques:

Matt Wynn
December 28th, 2010, 17:26
Saudi Arabia has expressed an interest in the -15SE...

F-22 whats that? it may be good having an aircraft that looks like a flock of birds on radar but i've yet to see a pigeon pass mach 1 ;) i do like the F-22 as a design, the -15SE is what half the price of a Raptor?... showed a buddy in Utah the silent eagle and he said what i was thinking "why have raptor when this thing gives you numbers per dollar" i know what he means, but hey, i look forwards to what BAe have on the backburners/evaluation for Eurofighter... remember to take these with a grain of salt, they may happen, they may not...

Possible options include:

New processors to deal with parts obsolescence and updates for new weapons, such as the Meteor BVRAAM.
2,000-liter (528 US gallon) drop tanks or conformal fuel tanks.
Provisions for an AESA (active array) radar now being developed by EuroRadar.
Improvements to the EJ.200 engine, focusing on weight reduction with thrust and reliability improvements, as well as thrust-vectoring. The thrust-vectoring system is in evaluation, and offers thrust deflection angles of up to 23.5 degrees. It is seen as useful for combat agility and for reducing takeoff run in "hot and high" conditions.

to put it into perspective the SU-37 uses 32degree 3D thrust vectoring (3D if i recall right is up, down, side to side, and independently i.e one up one down to pirouette in the vertical/tailslide)... we're in for a fun future i can guess :icon_lol:

OBIO
December 28th, 2010, 18:53
I am no expert on modern military aircraft systems...heck, I don't know a thing about real aircraft other than I like them and wish I could fly one....but in my book, I would rather have an updated F-15...an aircraft that has a long and proven track record...on my runway than a new and untested plane, regardless of what it is. Give me a proven winner over an untested newbie any day of the week. And if that updated, proven winner happens to cost half of the new one but can do much the same thing....all that much better.

OBIO

Allen
December 28th, 2010, 23:30
Why is it "Fail"..:ques:

The really is no need for me to quote Smoothie and OBIO post.

Panther_99FS
December 29th, 2010, 03:48
The really is no need for me to quote Smoothie and OBIO post.

So in other words, you don't know what the original USAF requirement was.....

Bone
December 29th, 2010, 07:14
So in other words, you don't know what the original USAF requirement was.....

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the peple who are F-22 pilots are extremely impressed with the capabilities of it.

I have spoken to a number of F-22 pilots who have been passengers on my plane, and they are absolutely thrilled to be flying it.

Panther_99FS
December 29th, 2010, 08:29
Bone,
I was NOT the one who called it a "fail". ;)

Bone
December 29th, 2010, 08:38
Bone,
I was NOT the one who called it a "fail". ;)

Yes, I know, I read the thread before commenting. I clicked on your comment because your position was obviously counter to the "fail" point of view. My position is counter to the "fail" point of view, also.

Panther_99FS
December 29th, 2010, 14:46
Copy that.....my mistake in the read......

Lionheart
December 29th, 2010, 17:08
That is a fantastic FS video. Well done! And its Boeing...!

Note that the Su-27 is still massively popular and excellent in dogfights because of manuverability and the F-15 is based on that fighter aircraft. Outfitting it with new technologies and materials in the build would present one awesome fighter. Am I wrong? It is still a 'newly made plane' and much more affordable then an F-22, etc.

EDIT: By newly made, I mean, they are still manufacturing these, correct?

Onto an off topic, but relative subject, I wonder if China will market their fighter to the world? Their newest bird looks brilliant.

Bill

Bone
December 29th, 2010, 18:53
If the F-20 Tigershark didn't whip up any interest, then I'm pretty sure this tweaked up Eagle isn't go to be a hit either. Even though I think cheap and very capable is a great idea in a fighter jet, the organizations that do the buying never go for it when it's based on an old design...and in this case it's a forty year old design. Not gonna happen.

Naki
December 29th, 2010, 19:21
If the F-20 Tigershark didn't whip up any interest, then I'm pretty sure this tweaked up Eagle isn't go to be a hit either. Even though I think cheap and very capable is a great idea in a fighter jet, the organizations that do the buying never go for it when it's based on an old design...and in this case it's a forty year old design. Not gonna happen.

The F-16 is a 40 year design and still sells reasonable in numbers - latest operator is Morroco whom are just receiving their F-16s.

The F-20 was designed for the export market and was to sell to those markets that weren't allowed to buy F-16s (such as Taiwan) by President Carter. When Reagan came to power the F-16 (which wasn't much dearer) was allowed to be exported to a far bigger range of countries - this and the desire by foreign air forces to have an aircraft operated by the USAF and NATO killed the F-20. It was also a case of no one wanting to be first off the block to buy the F-20 and then end up been the only operator.

The F-15SE might get some export orders as the F-22 cannot be exported (and costs a bomb) , the F-35 is a few years away and likely to cost more and it will appeal to those countries that desire a US made aircraft (such as S Korea). The current operators of the F-15 would be the main target for export. The major competition is likely to come from Boeings own stable IMV - the Super Hornet (which is also been upgraded). Saudia Arabia (who are about to order more F-15s), Japan and S Korea are already looking at the F-15SE to fulfil their fighter requirements.

Allen
December 29th, 2010, 19:23

Not so fast there. The F-20 was before my time but didn't the people pass up F-20 for the brand new F-16?

If so, they can't do the same this time with the F-15SE. The F-22 is dead when it come for selling it. The F-35 price is going up so fast it may not be a op for some to buy it. This leaves the F-15SE and any fighters comming out of Euro land.

Naki!!! *Shakes tiny fist* I was trying to get my thoughts typed out in a readable format and you swooped in with the same thing!

Bone
December 29th, 2010, 19:33
Yes gentleman, I am aware of the history that you both stated. Just because the F-22 isn't available doesn't neccesarily dictate a scramble to acquire the souped up Eagle.

Allen
December 29th, 2010, 19:42
Yes gentleman, I am aware of the history that you both stated. Just because the F-22 isn't available doesn't neccesarily dictate a scramble to acquire the souped up Eagle.

It may not be a mad scramble to get the F-15SE but its not DOA like the F-20 was. The F-15SE will have to compete with Fighters come out of Euro land but it not dead like the F-20 was. Comparing F-20 to the F-15SE is joke.

Bone
December 29th, 2010, 20:09
Comparing F-20 to the F-15SE is joke.

I didn't compare the F-20 to the F-15SE...

"If the F-20 Tigershark didn't whip up any interest, then I'm pretty sure this tweaked up Eagle isn't go to be a hit either."

...what I said addressed the concept of taking a very old design and dressing it up for resale when there will be state of the art platforms coming available, the F-35 being a good example.

Allen
December 29th, 2010, 20:46
I didn't compare the F-20 to the F-15SE...

"If the F-20 Tigershark didn't whip up any interest, then I'm pretty sure this tweaked up Eagle isn't go to be a hit either."

...what I said addressed the concept of taking a very old design and dressing it up for resale when there will be state of the art platforms coming available, the F-35 being a good example.

Maybe in 2 or 5 year when Congress is done farking with it and the if cost stays the same.

Has any done a F-15 Vs F-35 comparison yet?