PDA

View Full Version : AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition, important PSA!

idancesafetydance
December 26th, 2010, 16:54
After receiving this for Christmas, I must say, I am much impressed with this 240 USD hex-core chip. so here's a mini-review/ my impressions

After disabling Cool-n-Quiet in my BIOS, a work around I found to fool the chip into thinking that Turbo core is disabled. I managed to bump up the frequency from 3.2Ghz up to 4.0Ghz.

I must say, this thing overclocks like a champ. I'm running it at 1.4 Volts to be on the safe side, which is still pretty low, multiplier at 18.5x, and the Bus at 217, and it is stable as can be, and at max load with a Corsair H50 cooling system, never goes beyond 56 degrees Celsius.

So, what does that mean for FSX? Alot, let's say that with my old Phenom 940 at 3.5Ghz.. New York was a nightmare on medium settings. Now with the 1090T, a solid 35FPS at maximum settings (in the Aerosoft F-16 I might add). So, If you have an AM3 socket on your mobo, and 240 USD to shell out, buy this chip.

Screenies of FSX later.

Cag40Navy
December 26th, 2010, 16:58
great news! look forward to the screenys.

idancesafetydance
December 26th, 2010, 17:50
Over New York, New York

CG_1976
December 26th, 2010, 18:01
Thank you for the review on this AMD chip. Been waiting to hear someone with FSX and the Hexer AMD. Now to call the relative in Green Bay and get one sent to me up here, 1st must locate a store there carrying the new AMD. Anyone at SOH in Green Bay, WI and recommend a Computer Parts Store?

Meshman
December 26th, 2010, 18:10
...in Green Bay, WI and recommend a Computer Parts Store?

Newegg has a store there. Well, not really, but they offer free shipping and a $10.00 gift card and probably no sales tax?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849&Tpk=1090t%20black%20edition

stansdds
December 26th, 2010, 18:12
One of the best things you can do for FSX is to give it a very fast CPU. You've got that AMD up to 4.0 GHz and FSX likes fast CPU's.

txnetcop
December 26th, 2010, 18:17
I actually gave up on AMD until the hex cores came out. I work with some of the engineers at AMD through TechCorp and have been very impressed with the power of the new 10 series hexcores. While not as fast as the new i7Core processors it sure does a fine job with FSX and most other games. I am especially impressed with the new ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte motherboards from the 880 and up series!
Ted

pilottj
December 26th, 2010, 18:51
I have had the 1090T on an Asus M4N98TD EVO with an Asus 480 vid card since July. I haven't overclocked it yet, and have just run with the regular turbo setting. FSX has run reasonably fine for me with most settings on high. Even tho I have jury rigged some extra PC fans and it stays reasonably cool, I eventually want to get a new case with better built in cooling capacity and also might spring for that Corsair H50.

Cheers
TJ

idancesafetydance
December 26th, 2010, 19:31
I have had the 1090T on an Asus M4N98TD EVO with an Asus 480 vid card since July. I haven't overclocked it yet, and have just run with the regular turbo setting. FSX has run reasonably fine for me with most settings on high. Even tho I have jury rigged some extra PC fans and it stays reasonably cool, I eventually want to get a new case with better built in cooling capacity and also might spring for that Corsair H50.

Cheers
TJ

The case I just got for Christmas, is insanely quiet, and the cooling is out of this world. It's the NZXT Phantom. Look it up, it's gorgeous, and relatively cheap.

pilottj
December 27th, 2010, 14:52
Thanks for the recommendation Idance, I got a nice christmas bonus so I went for a good NZXT + fans deal on Amazon, and decided to spring up for the H70 :D I imagine all this would lower the ambient temp in the case and let my GTX480 run a little cooler too.

idancesafetydance
December 27th, 2010, 14:57
It should, you're gonna want all those fans with that griddle sitting in your PCIe slot:wiggle:

pilottj
January 8th, 2011, 19:16
lol i got my nzxt, cooling systems and its running really smooth and cool. Tho I was starting to play with the overclocking. I am a bit new to OCing so I have been hit and miss with it. I was trying the settings posted by Idance here, started running ok but hitting some instablity with FSX.

Idance, did you change your OC settings in BIOS? If you don't mind can you list all your OC settings? :)

Thanks much
TJ

mjrhealth
January 8th, 2011, 19:35
Hoping to get 1090t but will have to wait, mind you i would like to get it to 4.2 as i have my 955 at 3.92 and its doing well.

Bjoern
January 9th, 2011, 09:17
I'm running it at 1.4 Volts to be on the safe side, which is still pretty low...

Chernobyl, April 28th, 1986:

"Hey, let's pull out a few control rods and see what this reactor can do..."

You know the rest of that story.

It's not temps that kill, it's voltage. Try to back down a bit into healthier regions (< 1.4V). Your CPU will be grateful.

idancesafetydance
January 9th, 2011, 09:25
Idance, did you change your OC settings in BIOS? If you don't mind can you list all your OC settings? :)

Thanks much
TJ

Well, what seemed to work for me, but everymotherboard is different, is I took advantage of the unlocked multiplier, moved that up slowly, until it would boot, then back down until it would, then I started moving the FSB up until it wouldn't boot, then back down. I then did more tweaking to get it nice and stable, and came out with this:

Multiplier: 18x
FSB freq: 217

Remember though, this is on my motherboard, your results may differ a bit.

-Bjoern, funny you'd mention that, I actually lowered the voltage to 1.35 Volts yesterday lol. Thanks for the advice though:salute:

pilottj
January 9th, 2011, 19:13
Thank you for your help sir :) I have managed to find a stable OC to use as a base point. Pulling about 3.78mhz. Mult. 18, FSB 210, and 1.35V for the CPU. Using PNW's recommended Scenery settings, REX, ASE, MyTraffic at about 50%, land vehicle traffic fairly low (this seems to be my kicker but it isnt that important to me) at PNW's KSEA I am getting 15-20 FPS or so and CPU Temp of 20-30C. Certianly an improvment LOL.

Now I can slowly putz with the other OC settings and see if it can be bumped up some more. The nice thing with this Asus board is I can set the OC in BIOS, then save the OC profiles in windows, then access the OC settings just by pushing the power button.

Interestingly, your first reported settings booted fine into windows, then FSX would go for a little while then a blue screen crash, usually an IRQ error. Then your latest settings there booted fine, then just an FSX CTD.

Idance, what would you think about moving the H cooler unit in the NZXT phantom to the left side aft 140mm fan spot. The secondary HD racks are in the way but those can be removed and you would have through ventilation on the other side panel. This would give room for a 200mm fan on the left side which it's installation is currently blocked by the H unit now. The downside means access to things would be a pain in the ass having to unscrew the H unit but it would mean better cooling for the Vid card. Oh well just a thought LOL

Cheers
TJ

Bjoern
January 10th, 2011, 12:15
-Bjoern, funny you'd mention that, I actually lowered the voltage to 1.35 Volts yesterday lol. Thanks for the advice though:salute:

No biggie. That's what I'm here for, lol.

pilottj
January 10th, 2011, 12:29
That is interesting becasue I have been watching the CPU-Z readout of the voltage while the system is set at it's standard rate and with the AMD Turbo functions enabled in BIOS. The voltage readouts seem to bounce between 1.2 - 1.45 or so. But I agree 1.35 keeps it below the high end and gives you some room.

idancesafetydance
January 10th, 2011, 15:38
Idance, what would you think about moving the H cooler unit in the NZXT phantom to the left side aft 140mm fan spot. The secondary HD racks are in the way but those can be removed and you would have through ventilation on the other side panel. This would give room for a 200mm fan on the left side which it's installation is currently blocked by the H unit now. The downside means access to things would be a pain in the ass having to unscrew the H unit but it would mean better cooling for the Vid card. Oh well just a thought LOL

Cheers
TJ

Well, it sounds like a good idea actually, as long as your case isn't on the ground blowing dust around. I may try it myself... I have the spare HDD case almost off, just one stripped screw is keeping me from finishing that task, well, I'll get it eventually.

EDIT: Lol, we're like Phantom+1090T buddies.

pilottj
January 10th, 2011, 17:26
haha yeah! :ernae:
I managed to pinch out a little more and get it to about 3.83 (mult 18, fsb 212, 1.375V) with decent stability. Not a giant FPS boost but maybe a little more consistent. I took it to Aerosofts Chicago O'hare with Mytraffic going at about 25% lol it still kind of freaks out and drops a bit but I think we'll have to wait a year or two to see if AMD comes out with a 4.0+ chip or somthing to get that scenery really flying