PDA

View Full Version : Desrt island aircraft!

paulb
December 25th, 2010, 22:48
A bit of festive fun ;)

Here in the UK, there used to be a radio programme called Desert Island Discs. The idea was that if you were stranded on a desert island, then what discs (music) would you have with you.

Well, how about desert island aircraft? Imagine that you are stranded on a desert island with a pc and a copy of FSX. All of the default aircraft have been removed. You are allowed to only have five aircraft (payware or freeware) with you to use in FSX. What would be your choice and why?

delta_lima
December 25th, 2010, 23:01
First, I'd want to know there was electrical power on the deserted island, otherwise I'd look to other hobbies, like surfing, or gardening .... :173go1:

I'd have to say my list would include

RealAir Spitfire
Hawker Heroes Fury
Jan Moravec's Mig-21
Skysim Mirage III
Piglet's A-1 Skyraider

Honourable mentions (or "if I had a flash drive snuck in undetected") would include

Manfred Jahn's Constellations
A2A Corsair
Vertigo Studios Bearcat

If this all transpired after the following came out, they'd certainly come aboard at the cost of something else listed:

Vertigo Panther
Any FSX-ready Hawker Sea Fury (UKMIL?) - that would be my first to come with me ... :)
cheers,

Aviator32
December 25th, 2010, 23:05
Here in the UK, there used to be a radio programme called Desert Island Discs. The idea was that if you were stranded on a desert island, then what discs (music) would you have with you.

There still is - every Sunday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr

paulb
December 26th, 2010, 00:27
I did wonder if the progamme was still running when I started the thread :redface:

My choice FWIW -

the first two are easy -
Tim Conrad's A-29B and the Skysim/Rick Piper BAe Hawk - as these are the two that I have been using most lately.

Number 3 has to be a floatplane or seaplane - after all I am on a desert island! At the moment, it would probably be the default goose with the Oz upgrade, but I might well replace it with the Aerosoft Catalina as soon as mine arrives from Amazon.

Number 4 would be a warbird. A very difficult choice here, but I would probably have the Realair Spitfire (either the mk IX or the XIV).

Number 5? Hmmmm............do I go for something GA by Carenado? Or do I buy the B-17 by A2A? I haven't decided yet!

calypsos
December 26th, 2010, 00:54
I would not bother with FSX unless I had my regular hangar picks....

Lotus L-39
Sibwings SAAB 91
Real Air Spit IX/XIV
DodoSim Bell 206
Flight Replicas Me 262
and as a free bonus......Simshed HS/BAE Nimrod

All the above fly superbly 'by hand' and can provide challenges in various situations, they all look the 'business' too!

Aviator32
December 26th, 2010, 01:12
Sibwings Birddog, Carenado C185F, A2A Cub, Aerosoft F16, Lotus L-39 (Iris A10 as first reserve)

Plus, an ORBX quality scenery add-on for wherever the Desert Island is located so I could see what else was in the area and plan my escape if necessary.

arrowmaker
December 26th, 2010, 01:26
Well, if stuck on a desert island my choices would have to be:

A2A Piper Cub, for low and slow sight seeing
A2A P-47 Razerback, STILL my favourite warbird
Aerosoft Catalina, for island hopping
IRIS Christian Eagle, for pure fun, and finally the
PMDG MD-11, simply because I would have plenty of time to learn it's complex systems

blazefox2
December 26th, 2010, 06:01
iris a-10
VRS FA-18E
Captainsim C-130
Lotus L-39
Nemeth Designs CH-53E

spotlope
December 26th, 2010, 07:48
I would politely request that my banishment to the island not start until the PMDG 737NG was released. :icon_lol:

Sundog
December 26th, 2010, 08:06
Carenado V35
Lionheart Tailwind
Warbirdsim P-51D
CS B-52
SimSkunkWorks F-104

Bonus Iris A-10

BTW, we have a music program in the U.S. that does Desert Island picks as well, Sound Opinions (http://www.soundopinions.org/). It was even a TV show for a while.

Navy Chief
December 26th, 2010, 08:11
My picks?

Not surprising to most, am sure:

Razbam A-7 Corsair
Razbam A-6 Intruder
Milton Shupe's Aero Commander
Piglet's OV-10
Sludge Hornet

CG_1976
December 26th, 2010, 08:57
Aerosoft Twotter
Aerosoft Beaver
Milton's DHC-7
Piglet's A-29B
Piglet's An-32
CF-188B

Daube
December 26th, 2010, 09:20
I would take the complete DVD collection of "Man vs wild". :monkies:

Naki
December 26th, 2010, 10:07
If I was stuck on an island no doubt I would have time to muck around with something like PMDGs new 737 but I will stick with what like at the moment - warbirds and GA

A jet warbird - Lotus Aero L-39 - simply one of the best add ons out there

A WW2 Warbird - I should really slot the Realair Spitfire in here as I'm a Spitfire nut but I can't go past the Warbirdsim P-51D (which have yet to get, but I know it will be a beauty)

Something to fly on longer trips - Flight 1 Cessna Mustang (presuming I have a decent PC and why I don't have this one in my current set up)

A bush plane that also doubles as a float plane/amphibian - Sibwings Cessna Bird dog

Since I have lost my default helicopters and always wanted to learn to fly helicopters (and now have the time) - Dodo Sims Bell 206B Jetranger (another one I havent got)

If I could extend the list further I would also add some aircraft for medium trips (Orbx Lancair), something aerobatic (Iris Christen Eagle), something vintage (Ant's Tiger Moth) and something for doing circuits and short trips (Ant's Tecnam).

Kiwikat
December 26th, 2010, 10:14
5 Aircraft:
Lotussim L-39
PMDG 737 NGX (once it's out)
ORBX Lancair
A2A Accusim P-51 (once it's out)
A2A Accusim Cub

6th choice: VRS F-18

I think it is a pretty good mix of GA and military. If there were a good (read: Accusim quality) Aviat Husky it would take the place of the Cub.

mmann
December 26th, 2010, 10:31
Aerosoft Beaver
RealAir Spitfire
Dodosim Bell 206
Lotus L-39 Albatros
Carenado Beechcraft Bonanza V35

Regards, Mike Mann

jetstreamsky
December 26th, 2010, 13:14
The Aerosoft Discus X for ridge soaring
The Iris A-10 Warthog for pure adrenalin low flying
The Ants Tiger Moth for low and slow
The Aerosoft Twotter for those difficult places
The Samdim Design Avions Mudry Cap-10 for cross country and aeros

and on reserve, the ALS-SIM Su-27 Flanker for crazy fun, high powered stunt flying

peter12213
December 26th, 2010, 17:41
ALS SU27, Cera Bell412, iris vulcan or the iris BD5 decisions, decisions! :salute:

Lionheart
December 27th, 2010, 03:35
Bucker Jungman Bu-131
Flight1 Cessna 421 Golden Eagle
Carenado Cessna 182 RG
Lionheart Epic LT
Lionheart Aerospool Dynamic (not out yet, heh.. give me something to work on, on that desert island).

pilottj
December 28th, 2010, 23:45
lol its a tough question, I could give reasons for many different aircraft. Since I get different flying moods, I might have a slightly different list next week but here is my list for now.
RealAir Scout (low and slow GA that can take me deep into the brush and some IFR if needed)
Bill's Epic LT (go everywhere fast, long distance, all weather, and great STOL capability)
Aerosoft DiscusBM (soaring fun with a motor if I am to lazy to hunt for thermals)
Aerosoft PBY-6A (amphib and radial engine management fun...and to haul my computer to and from the island :) )
Waco CTO (I have to have an open cockpit biplane)
Beg/bribe for the A2A B-17 as a 6th

very honorable mentions with the L-39C and SF-260

A fighter category would be a perpetual alternation of the A2A P-47, RealAir Spit, CH FW-190, VRS F-18

If I had to pick two for me it would be a very difficult choice but it would be the Epic and the Scout to be able to explore the most out of FSX.

Ferry_vO
December 29th, 2010, 07:24
Only five..? Hope I don't have to stay too long! :icon_lol:

Douglas DC-2 for airliner flights and the radial sounds. (Though the Aerosoft PBY would do fine too)
IRIS Eagle to have some aerobatic fun.
Lotus L-39 as a modern jet. (Or the Iris A-10, Aerosoft F-16, Razbam A-7,..)
IRIS Vulcan, simply because it is the Vulcan!
One warbird, but I would have to flip a coin to choose btween the Vertigo F8F, P-36, Real Air Spitfire, FR Boomerang or classic hangar Fw-190.

Or I just forget about the desert island and just stay here in the cold with all my aircraft... ?

doublecool
December 29th, 2010, 10:42
It would be hard to list five from the following types

Bush Single Engine
Bush Twin Engine
WWI
WWII Fighters
WWII Misc. (Transport / Bombers)
Twins GA
Singles
Singles (Light)
Tubliners
Single Turbo Prop
Twin Turbo Prop
Trainers Jets
Trainer Prop
Modern Fighter Jets
Modern Attack/bombers Jets
Misc Military (transport / Bombers)
Post WWII Jets to Modern
Private Jets
Helos

:wiggle:

warchild
December 29th, 2010, 12:36
heh.. I'd want a grumman goose and an evinrude 50 hp motor :::LOL::...

Alan_A
December 29th, 2010, 13:19
A2A Cub
A2A B-17
Lotus L-39
[reserved for the Aerosoft/4X Katana]
[reserved for the PMDG 737 NGX]

Lionheart
December 29th, 2010, 17:12
heh.. I'd want a grumman goose and an evinrude 50 hp motor :::LOL::...

LOLOL.....

huub vink
December 30th, 2010, 08:04
When I see the amount of models I have installed, it is almost impossible to pick just 5.

But the Classics Hangar FW190 would definitely be among them

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/FW190_Original_Sound.jpg

The Warbirdsim P51 would be one of my choices as well.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Upupa-final_1.jpg

To avoid boredom I would need a twin engine aircraft like Dave Garwood's Beaufighter.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/jeansy_DG_Beaufighter_1.jpg

And the A2A Bf109 is a must for me!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/DISLU_blue2.jpg

And as the fifth would be my last opertunity to take one with me I have to think about that one a bit longer.....

But I guess it would be something like Anthony's Tiger Moth, Dave Garwoord's Austin, Piglets Kingfisher, the Flight replica's Boomerang, the Vertigo P-36, and I could add quite a few to this list!

Cheers,
Huub

Paul K
December 30th, 2010, 10:02
CS B727 pack
Aerosoft Catalina
Iris Vulcan
Aerosoft DHC2
Plane Design's Lancastrian ( not FSX, but its an all-time favourite )

Vietnam War Project
December 31st, 2010, 09:17
Hello,

This is our list ( we fly slow and low, and we crashed too... )

Jacques :

Milton Shupe's Aero Commander
Tim Piglet's A-1
C-123 from Vladimir Zhyhulskiy
Manfred Jahn's Percival Pembroke
Premier aircraft' s Twin Otter

Xavier :

Tim Piglet's Pilatus Porter
Grumman Goose HD updated by OZX
Aerosoft's Catalina
Virtavia C-7 Caribou
Lionheart Quest Kodiak

HAPPY NEW YEAR :jump: :salute:

paulb
December 31st, 2010, 12:34
Although I started this thread for some festive fun, the responses to date are really great. Such a variety of aircraft, but also some 'consistent' favourites.

Hmmmm..................( to anyone who hasn't posted) so what are you taking on your desert island visit?

clmooring
December 31st, 2010, 16:47
L39
tecnam 2002
duke
epic lt
f8f bearcat

Alan_A
December 31st, 2010, 17:57
L39
tecnam 2002
duke
epic lt
f8f bearcat

Right, the Tecnam. Now that you mention it, I have to admit I've been flying it recently much more than the A2A Cub. So do I knock something off the list? Add a "5A" slot? This exercise isn't as easy as it looks...

Bomber_12th
December 31st, 2010, 18:04
Going by what I have flown the most over the past year, here are the top five in my 'virtual' log book, thus they must be my 5 choices - ones I would greatly miss if without:

Warbirdsim P-51D Mustang
Classic Hangar Fw 190A Late Variants
RealAir Spitfire Mk.IX
Neoqb Fokker Dr.1
A2A Bf 109E

This list could continue to include many aircraft I really, really like, ranging from a 1909 Bleriot, to Tim Conrad's Skyraiders (the most modern planes I routinely like to take up). Obviosuly everyone's choices are going to be for the most part, inspired by personal preferences in aircraft types. For me, it's mostly all about single engine, single cockpit, display flying, with a good portion of history thrown in. 99% of my actual flight-sim 'flying' time is spent beating up the sky over an English airfield or two.

clmooring
December 31st, 2010, 20:54
L39
tecnam 2002
duke
epic lt
f8f bearcat

I need one more slot for the cessna mustang.