PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy REX?

jp
December 25th, 2010, 13:05
Hey,
I am currently debating buying the REX+Overdrive Package, but I have some questions that need to be ansewered. My biggest worry is that REX will drop my fps rates very low and that I won't be able to use it, and I will have wasted my money. So, for you REX users, how does REX effect your FPS? I run FSX on my laptop, which runs about 40-50 FPS maxed out with best graphics, and medium high terrain/ autogen, traffic, and weather, so I am particularly interested in the results people who operate using similar settings. Is it worth the money?

Thanks

jankees
December 25th, 2010, 13:39
since the human eye can't see much more than 21fps, I'd say the answer to your last question is yes.
It is for me anyway.

spotlope
December 25th, 2010, 14:30
On my rig, REX only affects the frames if I choose the absolute maximum resolution for everything, especially clouds. Personally, I like the slightly softer, lower-res versions, as they look more realistic to me, or at least more in keeping with the FS world around them. I say yes, get it. It's a great improvement over the stock environment.

Tako_Kichi
December 25th, 2010, 15:49
I'll go with what the others have said and add it's worth it for the water settings too. REX2 water is simply stunning wherever you fly but especially in the tropics/coral areas.

paulb
December 25th, 2010, 22:01
I dont have REX, but after reading a number of reviews, I chose FEX instead. The reviews did not suggest that FEX was better, but overall they suggested that FEX would have a lower impact on frame rates. This was important to me as my system is 'marginal' eg with OrbXpnw, a complex payware aircraft and sliders fairly high it can slow down to 7 or 8 fps at airports.

Overall, I have been happy with FEX. I probably lost no more than 1 to 2 fps when I installed it. So you might want to check out reviews of both products before you buy one.

Carbine1
December 25th, 2010, 23:28
Go for REX, it has very limited effect on frames and your fs world we never be the same.

Worth every cent.

Cheers.

guzler
December 26th, 2010, 03:06
I had this dilema last year, but thought 'sod it' and bought it. No regrets. I also use the lowest cloud resolution, which I prefer visually as the clouds appear softer. No issues with FPS unless I crank the number of clouds up, but this would be the same with or without REX.

Stop being indecisive and just buy it !

modelr
December 26th, 2010, 05:50
Go for it. I notice very little to no framerate problems. The effects are gorgeous.

ryanbatc
December 26th, 2010, 08:52
since the human eye can't see much more than 21fps, I'd say the answer to your last question is yes.
It is for me anyway.

ah haha, sarcasm I hope?