PDA

View Full Version : What I want for christmas. PLEASE!!

OleBoy
December 24th, 2010, 12:02
I am deeply depressed. Have been for almost a week. I have a wife and two kids, a roof over my head, and some food in the cupboards. I am thankful.

This time of year is always the hardest times for me since all my family has passed away. And the Christmas mood is never cheery. Like it is for most that lose loved ones during these times.

Right now, I have a 6 year old dog that I'm very attached too. Always by my side wanting a pet, a scratch, or to just throw the ball for him so he can bring it back. He is as close to me as one of my kids. A week ago he started to display symptoms of being beat and in dire pain. One minute he was fine, the next he was doubled over and getting succumb to pain that made me cringe. I took my dog to the vet to be examined. They took xrays and gave him a complete examination. After Dr. John finished he called me in. He told me that my dog had two compressed discs and that he would need surgery to repair it. But being as my dog is so active it would likely not last and he would be in the same condition shortly after. Dr. John was not sure how things would turn out. I had decisions to make. Decisions to the tune of $5000.00 to have the procedure done and make my pup better.
....I have been out of work for almost a full two years. Working very little and on part time only. Things are very tight for us, but we're getting by with help of local food banks. So getting the much needed surgery done, that's out of the question as we just can't afford it.

Dr. John told me that there is hope with medications. Steroids, pain meds and anti-inflamatory drugs. He told me that in ten days I would know how my dog was doing and whether he would get through this. Well, like I said earlier, it's already been a week. And a hit and miss one at that. Some days my companion feels real good..others he is hunched like the hunchback of notre dame and in very much pain. Things don't look good. I feel I will have to do something I can not avoid. I love muh dog. But I feel the inevitable euthanizing is going to have to happen. I don't have any options damn it!!

Merry Christmas to me :(

Thoe6969
December 24th, 2010, 12:23
Sorry to hear abour about your buddy,I have a four year old german shepperd that is closer to me than any other pet has been and can't even imagine life without him.I pray that your pup will get better.

Milton Shupe
December 24th, 2010, 12:28
I know the pain of having to do that and it is never easy. When your best friend is suffering however, and in your complete care, the decision has to be made to end the suffering if there are no other practical options. If it comes to this, you will be doing the right thing for your loved one, and for yourself. Give lots of love just as your companion does when it is feeling better. It would be inhumane to allow the suffering to continue. You will know when the time is right. Best wishes.

Ickie
December 24th, 2010, 12:33
Sorry to hear that, I am going through the same thing for the past 4 months with Haney my loving dog.
All I ask for Christmas was that she made it till Xmas and it looks like she will. I just had her meds filled, $50 bucks for rimadyl, and the other a narcotic Tramadol 75 MG's is $20 bucks this is for a 1 months supply. I took her off the steroids this took 2 weeks. Never again will I give a dog steroids.

I know your pain. A dogs life isn't long enough. Just give her/him all the love you can now, I am giving Haney all the treats she wants. I know soon she will no longer be with me.

Have a Merry Christmas

ickie

HouseHobbit
December 24th, 2010, 12:47
I do understand the pain of losing a pet..
One of the things I have to remind myself with my beloved pets over the years is that they are gifts just for a time..

I do hope that for your sakes, and that of the beloved pet..
None of you will have to "suffer long"..

I always hold the memory of the wonderful days and Thank our Lord..
Nothing can ease the pain, except for time and love..

I am truly sorry that it is came to this for each of you..
God Bless..

OleBoy
December 24th, 2010, 13:53
Rumadol is what I think the vet prescribed originally, though not yet. He is currently on 25mg steroid and 50mg Tramadol. I really..really hope he gets through this.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. And Ickie, do give Haney whatever she wants. Let her wag her tail and get all the best goodies she can gobble.

Merry Christmas everyone

jmig
December 24th, 2010, 14:58
Don, I do not own a dog. We haven't had pets for 20 years. Still, I can feel the pain you are enduring. It came through in your words.

I wish I could help you and your dog. The most difficult part of life is losing love ones, be it a child, spouse, or loving pet. Since, I can do nothing else, I send you a virtual hug and support. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

OBIO
December 24th, 2010, 16:30
Don

I know your pain. If you look at my avatar...you will see a pic of a dog that has been dead going on 4 years (January 14th). That is Spudnic Houdini Dement, my first born "son". He came into my life one day before he was 3 months old. And he left my life not quite 14 months later, suddenly due to seizures brought on by an undiagnosed hypothyroid disorder. That pooch meant more to me than most of my natural born relatives...which probably isn't right, but it is the truth. That handsome face looks out at me from every post I have made here on SOH and from every post I have made on a fish keeping forum that I also visit (though not as much as I did before I found SOH).

I have thought about changing my avatar and replacing it with a pic of either Brutus, our Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix, or Hazel, our little Chihuahua girl. But I can't bring myself to do it. Not yet. I don't think I have really gotten over losing him. Sure, Brutus is a fine dog in every way...and Hazel is my GIRL, a lot like Spud in so many ways but in a much smaller package....but they pale in comparison to Spud and the bond that we had. From the moment I patted him on his little head, he knew that I was his daddy. And from the moment Spud climbed over a wall 3 times his height to get to me and I picked him up and held him, I knew that he was My BOY!

In our bedroom closet, there is a box made of polished aluminum and stainless steel..an armored carrying case for a camera. In that box are pictures taken of Spud from the day we brought him home all the way up to 3 days before he died. There is a small plastic bag with all of his puppy teeth. His favorite black rubber goodie ball...well chewed and worn out. The little collar he wore as a puppy. I can not open that box, even after nearly 4 years. I tried looking at those items a couple years ago....and sat in the middle of the living room floor bawling like a 3 year old who just dropped his his very first ice cream cone. Maybe one day, I will be able to open that box and look at those things...but not today, maybe not any day in the next year or two.

I know that one day Brutus and Hazel will get old, sick, injured. And I know that I will have to take them to the vet and have them put to sleep. I dread that day. But I will do it because it is the right thing to do for them. But until that time comes, I am going to love my puppies (though they are no longer puppies....one just turned 3 and the other will be 5 in March) with all my heart, care for them to the best of my abilities, and play with them as much as they want.

I know that you have done the same with your beloved pooch. I know that you will do what ever is in your means to keep him healthy and pain free. And I know that you will do what is best for him....no matter how much it tears your heart apart to do it.

Tim

n4gix
December 24th, 2010, 18:39
Don, I feel your pain. Having first lost all my loved ones and then losing my beloved little miniature dauschund, I quite literally have no one at all any longer.

I do hope that the medication helps your best friend, and that he'll get some needed relief. The hardest decision I've ever made was to have not one, but two miniature dauschunds put to sleep.

Col Kink who was my first companion as an adult developed severe diabetes at the age of fourteen and I finally had to make the tough call.

Bubba, who was my last companion suffered a massive stroke after being my buddy for almost fifteen years.

Best wishes for the holidays, and hopefully the New Year will be better.

OleBoy
December 25th, 2010, 08:16
My pup Pippin had a relaxing sleep last night. This morning he woke with a big stretch and rolled on his back for some lovin. A happy little guy and appeared to be pain free. I gently picked him up and carried him outside for a bit of relief. Duties done he was ready for breakfast, and his meds. Hunched over and obviously already in pain I gave him his daily steroid and pain meds. I don't really know if the steroids are doing him any good to be honest. Do they? I'm doubting it right now.
....Pippin is in his dog crate and being confined from running or getting too excited. Hunched over. Standing there..and crying a little because he's in pain. I wish he would just rest. I'm afraid I need to make a decision. I'm balling right now. Such a hard choice.

Ickie
December 25th, 2010, 08:37
Last night at exactly midnight 12:00 Haney woke me up and demanded to go outside, I think she bit Santa, lol

OleBoy
December 25th, 2010, 08:52
Haney smelled the cookies!!