PDA

View Full Version : sata and ide

Henry
November 28th, 2008, 11:06
is it possible
to have a sata drive as main and a ide as slave?
H

Buddha13
November 28th, 2008, 12:55
Hi Henry.I think you can run both in one machine.Most sata mobos usually have one ide slot for backwards compatability.Do not know if it would slow the sata drive down though.

Buddha13

Tako_Kichi
November 28th, 2008, 13:09
is it possible
to have a sata drive as main and a ide as slave?
H
Yes it is and I am running that way here. I have a SATA drive that has the OS and main applications on one partition and all my games on another partition (plus a couple more partitions for other stuff). The IDE drive is where all my downloads live until I have enough to fill a DVD and once burned (and checked) they get cleared off to make room for more. The IDE drive also acts as a back-up area for important files that I don't want to lose (banking info, passwords, bookmark and address book back-ups etc.) and holds copies of 'active' files on my main drive like repaint files etc.

I can't remember off the top of my head but I am pretty sure I had to set the IDE drive as a MASTER and not a SLAVE (even though it is acting like a slave drive) otherwise the BIOS would not see it. There is no such thing as master/slave with the SATA drive of course.

Butcherbird17
November 28th, 2008, 13:15
Just make sure that the sata drive jumper is set to cable select, (only on older sata1, newer sata2 drives don't have jumpers) and the IDE drive is set to slave. If you have 2 IDE connectors (one for optical, the other for hd/d) you might need to keep the jumper on the IDE hd/d set to master, then in Bios make sure the sata drive is set for first boot drive.
Most new mobo's only have one IDE connector and that is slowly being fazed out. I only use IDE for my optical drives, but i'm hoping santa gets me 2 new sata drives.:santahat:

Joe

GT182
November 30th, 2008, 16:08
Henry, go with the new SATA2. It's so much faster.... like 3mb/sec. More than triple IDE speed. And the SATA2 drives are better too.

stansdds
December 1st, 2008, 02:06
Speed of a SATA drive is dependent upon your motherboard support and your operating system. My new motherboard supports SATA2, my drives are SATA2, but my OS is Windows XP SP2. XP would only recognize my drives as IDE, so I jumped through all the hoops required to get XP to recognize them as SATA2 drives. I was successful, yet there was absolutely zero change in access, write, or read times. I understand that Vista does recognize SATA and SATA drives should be faster under Vista.