PDA

View Full Version : Auto Rudder

kwb737
December 23rd, 2010, 18:46
I have heard that you can turn tighter with "Auto Rudder" turned off. I have not noticed much difference. Any opinions?

simonu
December 24th, 2010, 04:30
Im not being personel but may I ask? do you have a twisty joystick? or rudder pedals, if you have only a two axis stick you could configure a couple of buttons to work the rudder. I have even considered moddifying an old keyboard to make a foot controller.
I think you can turn faster with good rudder control but it does depend on what you are flying. I certainly prefur flying with autorudder off, its much more fun.

Shessi
December 24th, 2010, 04:50
Hi Kwb,
I think the reason why you can, is that maybe auto-rudder is just linear(?), where as a controlled rudder means you can put more input quicker and therefore beat an ai ac to the turn.

It's better if you have a 3-axis (twist) type joy-stick, it then comes quite naturally and easier, but you can use buttons/mouse etc etc.

Cheers

Shessi

Devildog73
December 24th, 2010, 05:54
I've got a twisty for my big computer and a two axis on the laptop.

I agree with simonu, it depends on the aircraft and situation. I much prefer flying with a rudder in my control, especially on air to ground support missions. That little twist of the stick to get the rudder involved really makes a difference. I also like it for take offs and landings where I have built some cross-winds into my missions.

Now, if I just had the separate throttle controls for my P-38s! My understanding from a WWII crew chief in the USAAC in England during the war, is that his pilots would talk about how they would climb away from a Messerschmidt or FW to almost stall, cut the engine on one side, full throttle the other engine and shove the rudder pedal to the floor to spin around and face the enemy pilot climbing to meet them and open up with all their guns and cannons. I have hit F5 to bring up my throttles and tried this, but it is unwieldy to do in CFS2.

Shadow Wolf 07
December 24th, 2010, 07:30
For more realism, use the manual rudder or foot pedals like the others have said. In most cases you'll have more control. Often, when making ground attacks, a little rudder can keep my guns on target without changing the plane's course.

kwb737
December 24th, 2010, 10:36
Thank you for all the input. I have no rudder pedals and just have a non-twisty Saitek st290 Joystick but after what I've heard now first chance I get I'll go down and get myself a twisty.
Thanks so much.

mariereid
December 24th, 2010, 10:51
Go for the pedals!:ernae: