PDA

View Full Version : How do you install your planes

hey_moe
December 23rd, 2010, 14:20
I was wondering how you guys install your airplanes. I do a manual install selecting each folder and installing them. I notice some just do a send to FSX and let them land where ever.

Daube
December 23rd, 2010, 14:24
Unless it's a plane from a payware developper (A2A or VRS only for me, for the moment), I always install a plane to a dummy FSX folder, then transfer the files manually to the real FSX installation folder.

falcon409
December 23rd, 2010, 14:47
As with Daube, if it's a reputable payware or freeware developer and an autoinstaller is provided, I go with that. If not, I do everything manually.:salute:

kilo delta
December 23rd, 2010, 15:03
Just run the installer. I'd generally double check later to make sure everything was in it's right place. :)

Lateral-G
December 23rd, 2010, 15:22
As others said, if it has an auto-installer I'll use that. If none present then I do it the old fashioned way......unzip and move the files manually.

anthony31
December 23rd, 2010, 15:53
With a very large hammer. Not to many problems you can't solve with a large hammer.

Seriously though, like most others have said if it is a payware airplane sometimes you have to trust them to install it properly (what with copy protection etc). But with anything freeware I will install to a dummy FSX folder to see exactly what is installed. I've caught a few bad installers before they destroyed my FSX folder that way.

txnetcop
December 23rd, 2010, 15:53
I have a faux FSX setup on a separate drive to load to so I can see what changes will be made by an installer.

PRB
December 23rd, 2010, 16:35
With each fresh install of FS, I always start out installing to a dummy location, then copying the files, then "uninstalling" it from the dummy location. The idea being mostly to keep my list of installed programs under control. But, I always end up "loose discipline" with this plan and just letting the installer do what it wants. I can clean up the list of installed programs with CCleaner anyway.

Hern07
December 23rd, 2010, 21:13
Me too. dummy folder then install it myself. I have a folder on my desk top with shortcuts to all the relevent sub folders in fsx (ie a folder for "aircraft".) Sometimes I'll have the installer putl it into a folder that I have created and placed on the hard drive and then install it from there. This helps with FS9 planes.

paulb
December 23rd, 2010, 21:16
Well I seem to be a bit different:icon_lol:.

With freeware, after unzipping to another location - like many here - I only install the basic aircraft. I then start FSX to see if I like the look of the aircraft or not. If I like it enough then I install any other files. If I dont want to keep it then I only have to go to the airplanes folder and delete the aircraft. It's my way of trying lots of things out but keeping my FSX folders relatively 'clean'.

Hern07
December 23rd, 2010, 21:19
Me too, put it a dummy folder and download it from there. I do the same thing Txcopnet does with installers that wants to put in a FS9 folder. I also have a folder on the desktop with all the relvent shortcuts to FSX in it.

Aviator32
December 23rd, 2010, 21:48
I always install to a new folder on my desktop where I dissect every subfolder to see what's in it before removing any repaints I don't want (I only ever keep two at the most) and copying the sub folders over to FSX one by one, keeping the original on my desktop for a little while in case I don't like the addon at all and want to remove it again. I can't stand having gauges and effects files I will never use again! I haven't installed anything (except ORBX) straight into FSX by default for years.

Overshoe
December 23rd, 2010, 21:50
With reputable payware I use the auto installer then go in and edit the aircraft.cfg to my standards. With strange (to me) payware and all freeware, I install to a dummy folder and examine the files first.

stansdds
December 24th, 2010, 04:53
Although I am leery of auto-installers, I will use them, but sometimes point them to a dummy directory. I always use the auto-installer for payware. If there is no auto-installer, I can figure out what goes where.

SkippyBing
December 24th, 2010, 05:34
I like auto-installers or zipped archives where I can drag and drop straight to FSX.
Anything that requires more interaction by me probably won't get installed as life's too short. I'm thinking of the A380 that was recently released that had about a page of instructions on how to go about downloading the VC from somewhere else and incorporating it into the package, it doesn't need to be that complicated and I generally don't have the time to be messing about when I could be flying or modelling.

Bjoern
December 24th, 2010, 06:17
Everything gets unpacked to a temporary location and then moved to the proper places inside the FSX folder.