PDA

View Full Version : DDR3 Ram question ?

Crusader
December 23rd, 2010, 11:09
I have a Gigbyte MB : EP45C-UD3R that has 6 memory slots . I run a Windows 7 64bit(Home Premium) OS . My question is 4 of the slots are designated DDR2 and 2 are DDR3 and currently I have 4GB (2 X 2GB) Patriot Viper 1600 MHz . My question is what is the maximum amount of DDR3 (matching pairs), I can put into the two DDR3 slots? My Q9650 3.0 was clocked(by a friend) to 3.6 . My GPU is a ATI 4890 1G card . I know , FSX is a CPU hog but overall this setup does a fairly good job . On occasion though it bogs down and even freezes up or goes dark so I quickly check the Windows Task Manager is under Processes it shows CPU 0% , Physical Memory 70's to 80% . Can the 2 DDR3 slots (assuming they are matching pairs) take more than 4GB and would it be any benefit at all ? I have placed the HIGHMEMFIX=1 into the fsx.cfg file as many have suggested and all of this above still happens .

I better stop now , I'm starting to confuse myself and that is very easy to do now a days .:isadizzy:

PS: A friend of mine gave me 8GB(4 X 2) of Corsair XMS2(DHX) DDR2 memory 800 MHz .He bought it over a year ago when it was cheap and he was building a system . (Guess what , he is not getting it back---LOL) He has been pretty ill as of late or I would ask him .

Rich

hairyspin
December 27th, 2010, 11:44
I like Gigabyte mobos - good features and first class documentation. So have you read the manual? If you don't have it for any reason, the Gigabyte site has manuals in .pdf for download and you're bound to find the answers to your questions there. Good luck!