PDA

View Full Version : Rudder pedals.

JohnReid
November 28th, 2008, 08:51
Rudder pedals.
Hi guys! I am an old pilot by profession(68)but most of my flying today
is done on flight sims.I use a joystick now with no rudder pedals.I never quite got used to flying without the pedals and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advise.
My local computer shop is selling the Saitek USB pro flight rudder pedals and yoke system for about 33% off regular price.I would especially be interested in the views of other pilots as to their experience with the system.Is it worth buying for the enhanced flying experience or is it just a waste of money? Also ,are the stick and the yoke interchangeable? Thanks.
Cheers! John.

Francois
November 28th, 2008, 09:31
Hi John,

I'm not a (ex)professional pilot, but do get my hours at the yoke almost every year...... and I'm in flightsimming for over 30 years already: I'd say it is definitely worth getting the yoke and pedals if you're serious about simming.

I have the Saitek pedals, which I think are nicer than the old CH Product ones. I use the old CH Products yoke (and have the brand new model laying on my desk as we speak), but the Saitek feels nice too (tried it on two occasions).

And yes, you can interchange the various (USB) hardware such as yokes, joysticks (I use the Saitek X52 HOTAS as well). You may need to unplug them so they don't interfere, but it is plug-and-play.

If you don't have it yet, I'd get the 'payware' FSUIPC program which is better in calibrating and assigning functions than the default MS or Saitek programs.

Pepere
November 28th, 2008, 09:33
The Saitek USB pro flight rudder pedals are the best for the money. It's what I use. For a yoke I have this: It's a home made yoke. Love it!

IanP
November 28th, 2008, 09:54
The pedals are exceptionally useful, compared to a twist grip stick, especially if you use helicopters or do daft things like sideslips, which can be quite difficult with a twist grip. I had (actually still have!) both CH and Saitek pedals - I'm currently using the Saitek ones - and have no problem recommending either. Yokes... Well, I'm glad I have mine, but they're an individual choice, really. I only tend to use mine if I'm flying heavies, because I can't fly helos and don't like flying fighters with it. GA, I can and will use either.

Ian P.

modelr
November 28th, 2008, 10:28
I have the full Saiteck setup, yoke and throttle, plus extra quadrant, along with the pedals. I also have the X-52 HOTAS setup. I've flown the CH set, and like the Saiteck feel better. 33% off is a great price! You won't be sorry. :applause:

fliger747
November 28th, 2008, 11:41
It seems that the various USB combinations are quite combineable. For instance I have used the MS FF2 Stick with the Saitek X45 (to use the throttle and extra buttons) and the CH rudder pedals. The pedals are quite helpful, as mentioned, with helicopters and also powerful prop taildraggers, or engine out practice with multi's.

Though in the real world I fly the heavies, I like to fly them in the sim with a stick.

Cheers: T.

Gdavis101
November 28th, 2008, 11:45
I use the Saitek Yoke with the CH Rudder Pedals and I also own the X52 controllers from Saitek. I permanently boxed my CH Yoke, wouldn't hold a calibration anymore and was overly sensitive. I think the unit was on its way out, so I bought the Saitek setup and have been really happy with them.