PDA

View Full Version : Question for SOH U. S. Navy Personnel ?

Crusader
December 22nd, 2010, 13:11
US Navy Electromagnetic carrier launches . With out giving away any serious trade secrets , what are they and how do they basically work ? I prided myself(I thought) on keeping up on military news but I can honestly say this is a first for me . I know , I'm sorely behind on the news .

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10005960.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Rich

TARPSBird
December 22nd, 2010, 13:59
Rich,
This is a pretty good explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Aircraft_Launch_System#Description

CybrSlydr
December 22nd, 2010, 14:04
Same kind of thing as a railgun - instead of using steam to launch the plane, it uses magnets.

Works like a super-powerful rollercoaster launcher.

Bone
December 22nd, 2010, 15:44
TARPSbird, Cyberslydr...you're supposed to say "I can tell you, but then I'm going to have to kill you".

Lol. Just Kidding.

Crusader
December 22nd, 2010, 15:57
Thanks all , I certainly can see some distinct advantages with this system . I'm not sure I would have wanted to be the first test pilot with this system though .:jawdrop:

Rich

N2056
December 22nd, 2010, 16:19
This is part of the overall plan to eliminate steam systems outside of the propulsion plants on future carriers. It is to be implemented on the U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78).

Here's a link...http://www.sb.northropgrumman.com/products/geraldrfordclass/construction/index.html

TARPSBird
December 22nd, 2010, 23:16
Thanks all , I certainly can see some distinct advantages with this system . I'm not sure I would have wanted to be the first test pilot with this system though .
Rich
I suspect the first manned launch test was a ground test with the aircraft's engines at idle, and no hold-back pin. The cat powers up, shoots the bird down the runway, and the techs see if they got 150 knots airspeed at the end of the stroke (where the shuttle stops and the plane keeps going). Looks like a good system if it works out. More fresh water for showers! Or maybe water conservation is not a big deal on the nuke carriers? :d

Crusader
December 23rd, 2010, 02:21
I suspect the first manned launch test was a ground test with the aircraft's engines at idle, and no hold-back pin. The cat powers up, shoots the bird down the runway, and the techs see if they got 150 knots airspeed at the end of the stroke (where the shuttle stops and the plane keeps going). Looks like a good system if it works out. More fresh water for showers! Or maybe water conservation is not a big deal on the nuke carriers? :d

Thanks TARPSBIRD , taken from your link you supplied , "EMALS weighs less, occupies less space, requires less maintenance and manpower, is more reliable, and uses less energy." . I don't suppose it would have any effect on "cable life" . I saw a documentary on the Military Channel , Discovery or where ever (?) and they discussed how many cat shots they get before they have to replace the cable . (Number has escaped me?) . The stress on the metal cable has to be tremendous pushing a multi ton AC down the deck at what 140-150 ? I would also imagine that replacing one is no easy task either .

Rich

Emil Frand
December 23rd, 2010, 10:43
I worked Cats on the Kennedy, looks like good system but I think Id miss the smell, you know it smells like..............victory! Ill bet its a lot quieter too, less parts, less maintenance(always a plus) and less personnel to man it.
Yeah there were times when showers were restricted due to low fresh water while it was replenished after launch ops.

TARPSBird
December 23rd, 2010, 10:57
Replacing cables pertains to the arresting gear cables at the rear of the ship, not to the cats. The shuttle (the hooked plate that the plane's launch bar fits into) is connected directly to the piston that is propelled down the trough when the proper steam pressure is applied to break the hold-back pin and launch the aircraft. But yes, the cables have to be replaced after a certain number of traps (landings) and yes, it is a nasty job. Regardless of preventive maintenance, a cable occasionally breaks during a landing and whips across the deck with sometimes fatal results for any flight deck crewman it hits. Just another reason why in my opinion a carrier flight deck is the most dangerous work environment in the world.