PDA

View Full Version : Chile Tour

Tako_Kichi
December 22nd, 2010, 12:18
Here's the latest in the 'Tako Tours' series just in time for Christmas. ;)

This time it's a tour of every mainland FSX airport in Chile (see note below).

If you would like to fly the tour proceed as follows:

1. Download the attached zip file and save it to a safe location on your computer, then unpack it.

2. Move the 'Chile Tour.PLN' file to the same location that FSX uses when you save a flight plan (in XP that would be 'C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files' ...... in Vista it is 'C:\Your Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files' .....not sure what it is in Win7 sorry :redface:).

3. Start FSX, go to the 'Free Flight' screen then select your initial aircraft, the time and season and your weather preferences (I use real weather to add some variety during the tour and some days can be really bad and add an extra dimension to the flying!)

4. When you have the above set click on the 'Flight Planner' button then click on the 'Load' button at the bottom of the screen. Navigate to the 'Chile Tour.PLN' file and double-click it.

5. Click on the 'Find Route' button and you should see the same as the screenshot below.....

Click on the thumbnail to see it full size.

NOTE: The flight plan only shows the start and finish locations at this point.

6. Click on the 'Load' button on this window and reload the 'Chile Tour.PLN' file. You should now see the entire flight plan, with waypoints, as shown below....

Click on the thumbnail to see it full size.

7. Click on 'OK' and then click on 'YES' on the notification pop-up window.

8. Click on 'Fly Now' when you are ready to start the tour.

9. When you reach a point where you want to stop for that session simply save your flight with a suitable name and it will also save the flight plan at your current location. When you want to continue the tour simply reload the saved flight using the 'Load' button on the 'Free Flight' screen and the GPS will already have the flight plan in it and will show the next leg to fly.
NOTE: I said at the top that this is a tour of all the mainland FSX airports in Chile, I purposely left out a number of Chilean owned islands scattered across the South Pacific as they would require long flights over open water which is not everyones cup of tea!

However, if you are into the FS Rewards system (see FS-Shipyards - Rewards - Visit Series - Countries (http://www.fs-shipyards.com/index.php?ind=downloads&op=section_view&idev=26) for more info) you will need to 'collect' these airports in order to get the 'All Chilean Airports Visited' award.

The missing airports are: SCIP, SCFX and SCIR. You will need to make a landing at each of these airports in order to get the award. If you don't fancy flying out to them you can simply start at each one and do a circuit and make a full stop landing but by far the easiest method is to start in a helicopter then lift off and immediately land again. The landing will count as being valid.
Whether you decide to include the islands or not I hope you enjoy this tour and please feel free to leave feedback (good or bad).

CAUTION:

If you have never flown in Chile before be very attentive when it comes to aircraft selection for each leg. I am currently about 6 legs into the tour but almost suffered a complete disaster on one of the earlier legs.

It was only a shortish hop of around 50 miles so I decided to try out my new Iris DA-40 Diamond Star as I had not flown it yet. Big mistake! I failed to take into consideration the altitude of the destination airport and was stunned to find I was having to climb HARD every minute of the trip! What should have been a sub 30 minute flight turned into 50+ minutes of hell as I was barely above stall speed the entire way and even had to drop a notch of flaps at one point to try and gain a bit of extra lift as my wheels were brushing the tops of the low bushes! The starting airport was at 3,200 ft ASL but the destination airport was at 12,468 ft ASL and it was in a large saucer which meant you had to climb over the lip before descending to the airport!

You have been warned! :icon_twi: