PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Feast

OBIO
December 22nd, 2010, 10:05
This year, due to all the things going on in our lives, Deb and I our having a very laid back, fairly odd Christmas feast. Neither of us has the energy or the desire to do up a ham...so we are going very nontraditional with our main dish. A frozen Staufers family size Charbroiled Beef Patties with Cheese Sauce. We will have more traditional sides: deviled eggs, mashed taters, seasoned green beans, candied yams, cheese, crackers, rolls, cranberry jelly.

I will be doing a fair bit of baking the next two days: zucchini bread, banana nut bread, brownies, maybe some spiced pumpkin bread. Two of each. Will be taking a loaf of zucchini bread to our land lords (wonderful folks who are in the later years...really going to miss them when they are gone). Going to give a loaf of banana nut bread and a pan of decorated brownies to our neighbor Dan. He just go DUMPED big time by his fiancee and his heart is crushed and his whole world turned up side down...she took everything basically and left him with pretty much nothing and not a lot of time to get things in order. He will have his three kids with him this weekend...and I thought a couple nice Christmas goodies would help cheer their weekend up a bit.

So, what are you folks doing for your Christmas Feast?

Tim

TeaSea
December 22nd, 2010, 12:05
English....

Prime Rib
Yorkshire Pudding
Green Beans wrapped in Bacon
Dill Pickles
Apple Tart
Burgundy
Coffee
Brandy/Port
Cigars
Nap

All homemade fresh, except for the wine, brandied wine, and port and the cigars.

It's just what I do......

New Years is Ham.....

jmig
December 22nd, 2010, 14:30
Turducken!
Rice Dressing (Dirty Rice)
Cranberry Salad
Sweet Potato Casserole

Hummmm I am too hungry to list the rest...gotta go eat dinner. :running:

rayrey10
December 22nd, 2010, 16:24
I would love to do a more laid back Xmas but the missus ain't trying to hear it. We're going with the usual fair:
roasted pig
rice and peas
veggies
potato salad
baked macaroni
upside down pineapple cake
lots of sangria

...maybe a cigar if it's not too cold outside

Sascha66
December 22nd, 2010, 16:39
All home-cooked with my own tender hands.

For starters: a "Maultaschenbruehe", that's a kind of meat-filled noodle floating in a clear broth

Main course is going to be: a "Sauerbraten", a beef roast with a lovely gravy which I put in marinade yesterday, with "Rotkohl and Semmelkloesse" on the side - that is Sauerkraut made from red cabbage with apples and white wine and potato and bread dumplings.

Dessert: I am undecided between a home-made chocolate mousse and vannila icecream with a hot berry sauce and cinnamon. Maybe I should just do both!

Edit:
And then an Italian coffee!
If I'm really going to indulge myself I will open a bottle of Armenian cognac for my grand finale...
And have a quiet drink by the fireside...

Lots of snow and my wife is home in Russia visiting her family and friends. I'm celebrating with my younger brother who lives in Berlin too.

jmig
December 22nd, 2010, 16:52
All home-cooked with my own tender hands.

For starters: a "Maultaschenbruehe", that's a kind of meat-filled noodle floating in a clear broth

Main course is going to be: a "Sauerbraten", a beef roast with a lovely gravy which I put in marinade yesterday, with "Rotkohl and Semmelkloesse" on the side - that is Sauerkraut made from red cabbage with apples and white wine and potato and bread dumplings.

Dessert: I am undecided between a home-made chocolate mousse and vannila icecream with a hot berry sauce and cinnamon. Maybe I should just do both!

Edit:
And then an Italian coffee!
If I'm really going to indulge myself I will open a bottle of Armenian cognac for my grand finale...
And have a quiet drink by the fireside...

Lots of snow and my wife is home in Russia visiting her family and friends. I'm celebrating with my younger brother who lives in Berlin too.

My wife cooks Sauerbraten in a slow cooker. It is delicious. sounds like you will feast well!

OBIO
December 22nd, 2010, 17:09
Cigar! I haven't had a good cigar in about 5 years. Mayhaps I will swing into the tobacco shop tomorrow and see what I can pick up. Can't be an expensive cigar...don't have the money for that. Something in the $5 to $10 range should make for a nice Christmas smoke.

OBIO

Sascha66
December 23rd, 2010, 02:36
I quit smoking some years back, I sure miss my pipe and the occasional cheroot...

Bjoern
December 23rd, 2010, 04:04
Wiener Würstchen and potato salad on christmas eve; duck or goose on the day after.

stiz
December 23rd, 2010, 04:17
Only 4 for christmas this year so its just a small turkey, veg, spuds and yorkshire puddings for mid day dinner/breakfast (depending on how cold the morning is!), then the afternoon walk with the dogs, then its back home for the shortbread and port and a good old natter whilst haveing a music channel or summing easy to talk over without missing anything at all on tv for background noise. Simple and no hassel :jump:

Trans_23
December 23rd, 2010, 07:57
We still go to my parent's house for Christmas where the rest of my family gathers. My dad cooks a prime rib roast that is out of this world. Sides include mashed potatoes and gravy, baked cream corn, rolls, salad, shrimp salad (appetizer), pie, and home made ice cream. That meal is the highlight of the Christmas season! Can't wait.

Daveroo
December 23rd, 2010, 08:21
all i know is were having prime rib,,,the sides i have no idea...but im sure it will be something like yams..green beans with cheese,jello fruit thing...

oh and conversation? not on your life...my dad will be saying whut whut whut? dont yell at me...he cant hear and refuses to admit it...

my sister cant talk at normal levels..she just talks REAL LOUD but says nothing all day...her new boyfrined just sits there and grins..my mom cries all day and they all yell at me cause ive tried to have a sense of humor about something :thats not funny,yer an ass"

oh joyous time of year tis is

WarHorse47
December 23rd, 2010, 08:25
Our son and daughter-in-law are visiting us for the holidays, so its been a series of parties over the last few days. We had our open house last night so neightbors and friends could come over and visit while they were in town.

So, our plans for the Christmas Feast are to keep things simple for the four of us. Baked ham, potatoes, veggies, salad, baked beans and dark bread. There is also a wine fruit salad and other condiments planned. We'll have a fire in the fireplace and likely stay put to watch movies throughout the day and answer any phone calls from other family members. :santahat:

--WH

brad kaste
December 23rd, 2010, 08:28
Cigar! I haven't had a good cigar in about 5 years. Mayhaps I will swing into the tobacco shop tomorrow and see what I can pick up. Can't be an expensive cigar...don't have the money for that. Something in the $5 to $10 range should make for a nice Christmas smoke.

OBIO

Tim,...you hit the bulls eye about a good stogie. Not sure who made the statement about a "good cigar is a good cigar." Especially after dinner along with a bourbon or brandy*,...or what ever favorite medicine one prefers. There's a Binny's liquor store not too far from the house,...they have a 'cigar room' within the store. They keep it cool and damp,..just how stogies should be kept. Now to truck over there and select a few...

*The Victorians had it down right,....slam dunk right! They'd shuffle off into the smoking room after the Christmas feast and nurse a cigar and a drink with some of their closer friends.....and maybe snore it off for awhile.

Sascha66
December 23rd, 2010, 09:22
all i know is were having prime rib,,,the sides i have no idea...but im sure it will be something like yams..green beans with cheese,jello fruit thing...

oh and conversation? not on your life...my dad will be saying whut whut whut? dont yell at me...he cant hear and refuses to admit it...

my sister cant talk at normal levels..she just talks REAL LOUD but says nothing all day...her new boyfrined just sits there and grins..my mom cries all day and they all yell at me cause ive tried to have a sense of humor about something :thats not funny,yer an ass"

oh joyous time of year tis is

My advice is lots of :icon29::icon29::icon29: followed by some :guinness:

Maybe you can think of something to cheer your folks up? Although it sounds like hard going... Hang in there dude even the most festive of seasons will pass! :pop4:

Willy
December 23rd, 2010, 09:41
We ususally do Christmas on the night of the 24th over at the in laws. But we do breakfast there of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, chocolate gravy, pancakes and other breakfast type items.

beana51
December 23rd, 2010, 09:53
Sitting here I can SMELL IT ALL....AND ALL SMELLS GREAT!....The Saurbratten,with ginger.
,havent had that in years,along with Beef Stroganof.....A GOOSE Fares Well also!...For Many Stuffed CABBAGE ROlls,and Pierogis...Chinese Christmas Dinner is an experience to have.So many foods..GREAT!!

.On our farm years ago,the HAMS of roasted Young DEER,along with HASSENPFEFER,and Stuffed Partridge Graced our table then...

We of course in the absence of the BOARS head..will have the "BEAST...Roast Beast...PRIME RIBS!.along with a crown Roast of pork on Christmas day..We still make HOT BUTTERED RUM,....really good!!, with all the FIXINGS,along with fine Italian wines,German and Irish cold beers,and much Schnapps,!!..this accompined by my tribe whose numbers grow each year..Of Course SANTA is the guest of honor!!....the desserts Of course is an other Topix..no room here!!
NOEL! BOUN NATLI, FROHE WEIHNACHTEN, С РОЖДЕСТВОМ ХРИСТОВЫМ, FELIZ NAVIDAD..I hope I said this.and in any Language corectly... "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL"

n4gix
December 23rd, 2010, 11:00
Ah, the joys and yes, some sadness of the Christmas holiday's. Since I've had the dubious honor of outliving all of the relatives on both sides of my family, I'll be quite alone once again...

On the 24th, I'll make my annual visit to pick up "dinner for three" from a local eatery, bring it home, and then make at least two meals of it of the next week... :)

hairyspin
December 23rd, 2010, 11:35
Ah, the joys and yes, some sadness of the Christmas holiday's. Since I've had the dubious honor of outliving all of the relatives on both sides of my family, I'll be quite alone once again...

If it wasn't we're on different continents you'd be welcome to join us Bill! With our scallywags at the table it'll be anything but quiet (despite the ages of any other guests) and we brew a mean pot of coffee to round off the meal. I do hope you're going to turn off the customer support connections for one day at least and put your feet up.

Oh yes; roast duck (more than one), cranberry and orange sauce, roast potatoes and veg, Christmas pudding with brandy sauce and clotted cream, Guatemalan Elephant in the coffee pot.
And then there's later...

Pass the Gaviscon!:jump:

beana51
December 23rd, 2010, 11:55
Of course N4GIX, The ghosts of Christmas pasts...many lives are measured in that light of Christmas...Our tradition on all the family Holidays is to remember them...all of them,and for some unexplainable moment in time ..They are With us....For if we forget them then they are truly gone forever...I think they when at Christmas did the same...and so it goes...at our table the next generation is stepping up, we will be replaced by them,such is life,and I hope and pray ,they too carry on that tradition.....Remembering the Joyful Christmas present for the future.......You have an invitation Sir...I will tell your story at our table,in doing so remembering you also.....CHEERS on this great Christmas day....and Remember our Christmas pasts!!

Bjoern
December 23rd, 2010, 13:23
Christmas celebration has officially started, I'm halfway drunk from vodka. Thanks, dad!
Off to the Kiwi Pub for more, lol. :d

Sascha66
December 23rd, 2010, 13:49
Sitting here I can SMELL IT ALL....AND ALL SMELLS GREAT!....The Saurbratten,with ginger.
,havent had that in years,along with Beef Stroganof.....A GOOSE Fares Well also!...For Many Stuffed CABBAGE ROlls,and Pierogis...Chinese Christmas Dinner is an experience to have.So many foods..GREAT!!

.On our farm years ago,the HAMS of roasted Young DEER,along with HASSENPFEFER,and Stuffed Partridge Graced our table then...

We of course in the absence of the BOARS head..will have the "BEAST...Roast Beast...PRIME RIBS!.along with a crown Roast of pork on Christmas day..We still make HOT BUTTERED RUM,....really good!!, with all the FIXINGS,along with fine Italian wines,German and Irish cold beers,and much Schnapps,!!..this accompined by my tribe whose numbers grow each year..Of Course SANTA is the guest of honor!!....the desserts Of course is an other Topix..no room here!!
NOEL! BOUN NATLI, FROHE WEIHNACHTEN, С РОЖДЕСТВОМ ХРИСТОВЫМ, FELIZ NAVIDAD..I hope I said this.and in any Language corectly... "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL"

Ginger in the Sauerbraten sounds good, never heard of that before but should taste fine!

Frohe Weihnachten! And God bless us all!

Chacha
December 23rd, 2010, 14:39
I would love to do a more laid back Xmas but the missus ain't trying to hear it. We're going with the usual fair:
roasted pig
rice and peas
veggies
potato salad
baked macaroni
upside down pineapple cake
lots of sangria

...maybe a cigar if it's not too cold outside

...Man, Rayrey...

I am coming to your house!

Hannah and I are out of town,
We are here in Arizona...
So...
We are eating
I am not cooking!
:ernae:

beana51
December 23rd, 2010, 15:19
Yes SASCH66,wish I had the Recipe handy but this is OK!...the use of GINGER SNAPS adds a great flavor..you may wish to check German cooking.... I can smell it now!.Washed down with a Stine of BECKS!! .CHEERS!!

MARINADE INGREDIENTS:
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups cold water
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon black peppercorns, coarsely crushed (http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/whole-black-tellicherry-peppercorns)
1 Tablespoon juniper berries, coarsely crushed (http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/whole-juniper-berries)
2 bay leaves (http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/turkish-bay-leaves-whole-and-ground)
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 Tablespoons Sauerbraten Spice (http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/sauerbraten-spice-blend)
4 pounds boneless beef roast, preferably bottom round
ROASTING/ SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
3 Tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups onions, diced
2 1/2 cups carrots, diced
1 1/4 cups celery, diced
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup gingersnap cookies, crumbled

OBIO
December 23rd, 2010, 16:51
I am adding one dish to our Christmas feast....scalloped cabbage. Have a head of cabbage in the frig that needs to be used. Scalloped cabbage it will be!

OBIO