PDA

View Full Version : Sonic booms rouse randy crocs

Wing_Z
December 20th, 2010, 16:33
Israel has discovered an issue with supersonic jets and its wildlife
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10695655
Wonder if one parked an f-16 in the driveway...

rayrey10
December 21st, 2010, 17:09
There are cheaper ways of doing that! :bump:

Matt Wynn
December 21st, 2010, 17:13
this is almost as priceless as penguins falling over on the Falkland Isles :icon_lol:

"UNTIL the advent of the Lynx and Sea King helicopters, the Harrier jump jet and maybe even the Exocet missile, the design of the King Penguin had always seemed a pretty practical affair.

A sturdy back, a special pouch in which to hatch young, and a nice set of flippers to speed it through the icy waters of the South Atlantic on the way to catch fish.

The Falklands War, however, and the airborne armoury which accompanied it, exposed a design fault in the King Penguin which could have disastrous consequences.

Fascinated by the helicopters and jets speeding overhead, the birds are so keen to follow their every move that they crane their necks at an ever steepening angle to the sky until they lose their balance and fall over backwards. "

Bjoern
December 22nd, 2010, 08:58
this is almost as priceless as penguins falling over on the Falkland Isles :icon_lol:

"UNTIL the advent of the Lynx and Sea King helicopters, the Harrier jump jet and maybe even the Exocet missile, the design of the King Penguin had always seemed a pretty practical affair.

A sturdy back, a special pouch in which to hatch young, and a nice set of flippers to speed it through the icy waters of the South Atlantic on the way to catch fish.

The Falklands War, however, and the airborne armoury which accompanied it, exposed a design fault in the King Penguin which could have disastrous consequences.

Fascinated by the helicopters and jets speeding overhead, the birds are so keen to follow their every move that they crane their necks at an ever steepening angle to the sky until they lose their balance and fall over backwards. "

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Excellent! :d

jmig
December 22nd, 2010, 14:33
Sounds like turkeys and penguins are related. I read that if it starts raining a turkey will tilt its head back to drink, If it rains long enough the dumb bird will drown. Don't know if that is really true however.

stansdds
December 23rd, 2010, 02:50
Sounds like turkeys and penguins are related. I read that if it starts raining a turkey will tilt its head back to drink, If it rains long enough the dumb bird will drown. Don't know if that is really true however.
I heard that from my grandparents, but according to Snopes.com, this information is false.

As for penguins falling over while watching passing aircraft, evidently that is also false per the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1149900.stm