PDA

View Full Version : Paint Programs

Skywolf
November 28th, 2008, 05:08
What Paint programs are you using, repainters? I currently have GIMP, But the Letters don't work well. I would have to make another layer.

IanP
November 28th, 2008, 05:21
I'm using an old copy of PSP8 at the moment - primarily because I know how to use it and the latest version (X2) is primarily a photo-retouching/modification package than what the series started as.

On the other hand, Mrs. P recently got a freebie on a magazine coverdisk that appears to pretty much be PSP8, but produced by a different company. I wonder whether they have sold the rights to the older versions off, as they ran headlong into the photography realm?

Ian P.

Dain Arns
November 28th, 2008, 06:02
I'm using an old copy of PSP8 at the moment - primarily because I know how to use it and the latest version (X2) is primarily a photo-retouching/modification package than what the series started as.

On the other hand, Mrs. P recently got a freebie on a magazine coverdisk that appears to pretty much be PSP8, but produced by a different company. I wonder whether they have sold the rights to the older versions off, as they ran headlong into the photography realm?

Ian P.

PSPX2 works just fine for repainting. Ergo, this repaint I did for the Nemeth Eurocopter using X2. Of course I admit, I still have to use an external program to handle alphas.

jankees
November 28th, 2008, 06:54
Most of my repaints were done with Adobe Illustrator (versions 10 & CS2), with the P-40's and F-86's all done in Photoshop CS2.
I just received an upgrade to CS3, let's see what that brings...

lifejogger
November 28th, 2008, 07:07
I have been using Paint Shop Pro 7 for years with good results. I have an older version of Photo Shop but have never taken the time to learn it.

Sean Doran
November 28th, 2008, 07:43
I use paint shop pro XI:ernae:

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 08:26
I have an ancient edition of Adobe Photoshop 6.0. Has tons of cool things, like layer capabilities, and tons of various 'filters' which means 'effects tools'. With Filters and quick special effects (side menu location) you can add drop shadows (instrument surround shadows) do cool rivet effects shading, panel shading, and tons of other 'touch ups' and enhancements 'mechanically' instead of having to use an 'airbrush tool' for everything. Really makes it go faster and more precise.

If you are persistent in looking, you 'might' find a CD of build 6.0 or newer online at Ebay.com.

CS3 is the new LAMBORGHINI of PS (Photo Shop), but its a gazzillion dollars.. so beware.

Bill

Bandit
November 28th, 2008, 16:12

Its the same dam program just with more options, formerly owned by jasc and bought by corel,

being a graphics designer for 15 years I use about 6 to 8 different paint/graphics programs on a daily basis,

coreldraw x4, corel psp x2, corel photo paint, adobe illustrator cs3/cs4,photoshop cs3/cs4, after effects, flash, & omega among others including maya/3dmax for rendering jobs for customers,

corel psp is more user friendly, but has less features the photoshop, no doubt though paintshop pro is enough to get the job done,

each has its advantages and disadvantages,

Ickie
November 28th, 2008, 16:16
I use psp 11, 12 just came out

Ickie
November 28th, 2008, 16:39
I just bought the boxed upgrade to PSP-X2 Ultimate, black Friday sale for $49.99 free shipping

simkid22
November 28th, 2008, 17:36
CS3 is the new LAMBORGHINI of PS (Photo Shop), but its a gazzillion dollars.. so beware.

CS3 is actually old now, Adobe has CS4 out. http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/

djscoo
November 28th, 2008, 19:52
I use PSP 9, and more than happy with it.

euroastar350
November 28th, 2008, 19:57
For rough draft painting, I use FS Repaint and MS Paint. Then I transfer the draft onto the Adobe Photoshop 7 paintkit and add the actual colors to that along with lettering and any touchups as required.

Cazzie
November 29th, 2008, 02:33
I paint with Ickie's bug! :isadizzy:

Actually, I use Photoshop CS and Illustrator. I use Illustrator to make all or my markings as a rule and paint the skins in PS CS.

Caz

Lionheart
November 29th, 2008, 09:57
CS3 is actually old now, Adobe has CS4 out. http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/

Dang... I need to get out more often, lol....

I use psp 11, 12 just came out

Ickie

I didnt know you painted Ickie!

lucas81
November 29th, 2008, 10:03
If you dont want to spend money, I can recommend you a freeware, opensource software called Gimp. It is very powerful tool as well.
Personally, Iam using old, but still great and reliable Photoshop 7.0.

CBris
November 29th, 2008, 12:26
Wot? No Corel users around? Don't be shy...

Hi, my name's Chris and I use Corel Photopaint and Corel Draw...

I had them ever since V5 was almost free and the upgrade to V7 was payable. I just needed to upgrade twice since then - to V9 and now X3.

GIMP is good though - it can more or less do everything photoshop does and it's free.

Wozza
November 29th, 2008, 20:26
Im cheap so I use this for textures and Gimp for bump maps http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/photoplus/default.asp
Wozza

N2056
November 29th, 2008, 20:42
I use Corel Draw 12 at work...but I use PSP 9 & Gimp for my FlightSim projects at home.

Dag
November 29th, 2008, 21:36
Wot? No Corel users around? Don't be shy...

Hi, my name's Chris and I use Corel Photopaint and Corel Draw...

I had them ever since V5 was almost free and the upgrade to V7 was payable. I just needed to upgrade twice since then - to V9 and now X3.

GIMP is good though - it can more or less do everything photoshop does and it's free.

My name is Dag and I also use the Corel pack of programmes. Handles PSD-files well. To add to that, Imagetool for the dds and DXTbmp (or was it dxtBMP) for those FS9 paints.
I use Corel Draw for making markings, a great drawing programme.

BananaBob
November 30th, 2008, 01:53
I use crayons and a scanner. :friday: :costumes:

Bjoern
November 30th, 2008, 07:38
Gimp. I don't want anything else.

Skywolf
November 30th, 2008, 16:33
Thanks for the many replies fellows! Guess I will stick with Gimp and Fine tune my abilities!

EMatheson
November 30th, 2008, 16:51
Anyone here use Paint.net?
Works wonderfully for me...

Shep
November 30th, 2008, 22:32
Anyone here use Paint.net?
Works wonderfully for me...

I would agree with that. I do have PS and PSP (old versions) but now use Paint.net as my main editor - it's free and it's features are easy to get the hang of. FYI, read the 'About' on the link below

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Ray

Cazzie
December 1st, 2008, 04:47
I have to admit, I had Paint.Net on my old Velocity and loved it. Used it in lieu of MS Paint and truth be told, it may replace old MS Paint in some future MS OS. I even donated to them. It is a good program and does allow layering and has all the tools one would find with payware graphic editors. I can highly recommend it too, though I do not have it now as I try to keep redundant programs to a minimum. That is unless you count MS Flight Sims, of which I have three versions of FS9: fully blown FS9 with all the extras, GW3, and Silver Wings. Even GW3 and Silver Wings have FS Genesis 38-meter DEM mesh and USA Roads. :ernae:

Caz

Ickie
December 3rd, 2008, 07:36
if any one wants to buy my legal paint shop pro X1 disk (version 11) for 20 bucks plus shipping of about 2 dollars its yours. I only have 1.

I now have X2 (version 12)