PDA

View Full Version : FRAPS won't record FSUIPC fiddling

MarkH
December 21st, 2010, 01:38
I want to record a tutorial video which involves me fiddling with FSUIPC settings. Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to do this with FRAPS. I can record FSX fine, but when I select FSUIPC from the addons menu FRAPS doesn't record anything for as long as the FSUIPC dialog is up. Then it resumes recording when I close FSUIPC. Alternatively, if I select 'monitor Aero desktop' in FRAPS before launching FSX I get a nice recording of the desktop activity, but it pauses as soon as I open FSX and doesn't resume until I close FSX. This behaviour is the same regardless of whether I run FSX in full-screen or windowed mode.

Is it possible to do this with FRAPS, or can anyone suggest an alternative recording program that might let me do this? I can always just point my camcorder at the screen, but that does't seem very elegant...

MarkH
December 21st, 2010, 05:49
Woo, sorted! I found a freebie called CamStudio, which seems to work a treat! (Still would be nice to know if FRAPS can do it, though.)

TDS-TAZ
December 25th, 2010, 08:24
it is for gaming only Sorry.
Taz

Cazzie
December 26th, 2010, 03:17
Mark,

In the opening FRAPS window under the General tab, check Monitor Aero desktop (DWM). This will enable you to take screenshots or movies of anything you're doing on your computer.

EDit: Oops, see you've done that, always works for me?

Caz

MarkH
December 26th, 2010, 03:29
EDit: Oops, see you've done that, always works for me?

Yeah, couldn't get it to work. I would guess it's some subtlety about whether the card is running 3D graphics or not. When it's running 3D, even in a window, that's all FRAPS can see (or something like that). So yes, I can record other stuff outside of FSX, but when FSX launches an addon I'm guessing something is different...

Anyway, I got it to work fine using CamStudio (free, open source), as you 'll see if you look here:

YzlJEFNQRoo

Heh heh, never miss an opportunity :)

Roger
December 26th, 2010, 05:47
Great tutuorial Mark:ernae: