PDA

View Full Version : Lunar eclipse, winter solstice

Ickie
December 20th, 2010, 22:51
My dog woke me at 2.15 am hummm, we are having a total eclipse of the moon, 1st one in almost 400 years on the winter solstice Dec 21.

The last time the two celestial events occurred within the same calendar day was long before any of our lifetimes. The year, according to Geoff Chester, public affairs officer at the U.S. Naval Observatory, was 1638. Although the solstice does not always occur on the same date each year, the date in 1638 was the same as Tuesday's - Dec. 21.

The winter solstice, which occurs afterward, is the time when the sun reaches its lowest point in the northern sky.

I did have the alarm set for 3:15 ...The absolute midpoint of the eclipse will be at 3:17 EST .... how did she know it was starting at 2:15, anyway it is way cold outside lol but cool to watch,
I went out and looked all over the sky for the moon than I seen it right above me, really dim, it is 3/4 total and at 3:15 ish I will go out again and take a pic of it in mid range full.

Cazzie
December 20th, 2010, 23:15
Looking at it now Ickie, been outside since 2:30 EST. Not good for photos, however, we have a thin veil of even clouds like high fog, you cabn see the eclipse, the red color, etal, but it's like seeing it through blurred vision. Goes out of eclipse at 3:58, will probably do a moon dance and go back bed by then.

Caz

Wing_Z
December 20th, 2010, 23:26
Aargh...perfect early evening moonrise expected in Auckland, but no...
Some high cloud behind lower stuff - even if you were looking straight at the moon you would not see it.
Pretty dark, though, tonight.

Ickie
December 20th, 2010, 23:28
no clouds here but my camera ...digital high end model has problems at the night sky, here is the best one i got.

Chacha
December 20th, 2010, 23:49
no clouds here but my camera ...digital high end model has problems at the night sky, here is the best one i got.

cool.... shot....

demorier
December 21st, 2010, 00:10
Just after moon rise here...we are only on the edge of this event in eastern australia. Just waiting for the red coloured moon...we got a really great one last year, blood red. One of the very few clear nights we had for months.

Ickie
December 21st, 2010, 00:12
here is the best picture that i got

kilo delta
December 21st, 2010, 00:55
Dense freezing fog here=no possibility of seeing the moon :(

txnetcop
December 21st, 2010, 01:35
too cloudy in Austin to see it...very disappointing!

HouseHobbit
December 21st, 2010, 01:52
Thanks for the Shot, Really Nice..

It as too cloudy here to see it..
Bummed out..
I was looking forward to this..

Thanks for the shot..
BRAVO..

padburgess
December 21st, 2010, 02:11
Nice shot Ickie.
We saw it clearly here earlier in the evening (9:40ish). Was the same cool red colour (English spelling and correct). Not quite so freezing here Ickie. It is now 00:08 in the am and it is 20deg C outside. We are having a foehn wind at present, the Nor Wester. Hot, dry and bloody strong, gusting to 60-65kmph.

Regards
Paul

Ickie
December 21st, 2010, 02:27
it is 40 ish here, 42F to be exact in St. Pete Florida, we are having the coldest winter on record

Rami
December 21st, 2010, 02:34
Ickie,

Thanks for the pics! A storm that was supposed to track southeast of us "backed into" the Gulf of Maine and gave us a surprise dumping of the white stuff. It's cloudy, windy, and about 28 degrees here.

Cazzie
December 21st, 2010, 04:23
Glad you got a pic Ickie, it was way too cloudy for me after the eclipse. Here's what the moon looked like at 10:00 PM EST.

Caz

Willy
December 21st, 2010, 12:03
We were clouded over so I missed it.

luckydog
December 21st, 2010, 12:21
Dadgum clouds moved in about ten minutes before start. I managed to get this hazy shot around 2am thru a little hole that lasted about 15 seconds.....

mfitch
December 21st, 2010, 15:13
Nice photos. I didn't even try. Clouds here moved out of the way before then back in after. I had time to check it out early and at the time of full eclipse.

This morning, long after, the moon was still gorgeous off in the western, pre-dawn sky.

brad kaste
December 21st, 2010, 16:16
.... While photographing the lunar eclipse, I was surprised that my Kodak Brownie camera was able capture this shot. It appears there's still a lot of NASA junk laying around the place. :isadizzy:

Bone
December 21st, 2010, 17:19
Here's what I got while flying, but it was about five hours before the eclipse.

Click on the pic to watch.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/JetCamVideo/th_TheMoon.jpg (http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af51/BonesFlightBag/JetCamVideo/?action=view&current=TheMoon.mp4)