PDA

View Full Version : Some newbie questions

oho
October 1st, 2008, 04:22
Hi all,
just started CFS 3 with MAW and it's really great.
Some questions I can't resolve on my own:
How can I revert the axis of a rudder - I assigned a steering-wheel with pedals to rudder - it works but only the wrong way, when i kick the right pedal, the left rudder is kicked and vice versa?
Is there wind and wind-gusts moddeled in the sim?
Can I somehow tweak the graphic-settings except in the game interface?

OberstDanjeje
October 1st, 2008, 04:43
Hi oho,
in the game when you assign the pedals to the rudder try to move the pedals in one direction or in the other.
The wind in the game is modelled, not sure for the gusts.
Take a look here:
http://www.regshanger.com/Groundcrew/homepage/Garage/2048%20textures/Ground%20Crew%20Design%20CFS3%202048x2048%20settin gs.php
you will find how set the game

warfreak
October 1st, 2008, 05:07
are you sure? becaus if you kick the right pedal I think the aircraft is suposed to yaw right

Dimus
October 1st, 2008, 06:08
Oho,

to make sure your rudder pedals work correctly including differential braking, make sure that your .xca file includes these lines:

This is an extract from mine, I have Saitek pedals:

<Device Type="Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals">
<GameMode Name="Player">
<Axis ID="X" Action="AXIS_LEFT_BRAKE_SET" Scale="65472" Nullzone="36"/>
<Axis ID="Y" Action="AXIS_RIGHT_BRAKE_SET" Scale="65472" Nullzone="36"/>
<Axis ID="Rudder" Action="Set_Yaw" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>

The .xca file can be found in your C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0

oho
October 2nd, 2008, 02:23
thanks all, very helpful crowd here:wavey:.
Still I have some questions:
@OberstDanjej: Where is the "override" menu reffered to in your link?
@Dimus: I can't find the xca in this folder. There I only see some campaign and a pilot folders and inside some cmpstat and autosave.lib files.
@warfreak: I can see the wrong pedal moving when looking down, so it is wrong.

Can I see the wind strength and direction somewhere in a mission file?

OberstDanjeje
October 2nd, 2008, 03:49
Both the files u are searching are here
C:\Documents and Settings\%YOUR_NAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0
but for change the setting u need to use cfs3config.exe in the Combat Flight Simulator 3 folder

In the "weather" folder there are the weather you can select in the game.
Open one of them and search for "Windspeed" and "windDir" at the end of "BackgroundWeather" line.

In this line
if u change scale="64" with scale="65472" u can revert the axis but I think 64 is right.

Nonato
October 2nd, 2008, 05:05
Oho,

to make sure your rudder pedals work correctly including differential braking, make sure that your .xca file includes these lines:

This is an extract from mine, I have Saitek pedals:

<Device Type="Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals">
<GameMode Name="Player">
<Axis ID="X" Action="AXIS_LEFT_BRAKE_SET" Scale="65472" Nullzone="36"/>
<Axis ID="Y" Action="AXIS_RIGHT_BRAKE_SET" Scale="65472" Nullzone="36"/>

The .xca file can be found in your C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0

Hi Dimus

Tell me, in a real plane, as the one in your pic, where are the brakes? I mean, are there other pedals besides the ones of the rudder control, or something else? Gee, suddenly I feel stupid asking that...:banghead::redf::d

oho
October 3rd, 2008, 02:29
thanks a lot, the rudder inversion worked finally:jump:.
now I can enjoy MAW:applause:.

Dimus
October 3rd, 2008, 05:38
Hi Dimus

Tell me, in a real plane, as the one in your pic, where are the brakes? I mean, are there other pedals besides the ones of the rudder control, or something else? Gee, suddenly I feel stupid asking that...:banghead::redf::d

No need to feel stupid Nonato. As my instructor says, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

The brake controls are usually positioned on the toes of the rudder pedals. So to use the rudder you push the whole pedal left or right and to use the brakes you push your toes only. You can steer your plane on the ground by pushing only right or left brake or both to break or stop.

See below:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0503/pfcpedals/instructions.jpg

The Saitek and CH simming pedals have this capability and it is very realistic.

I think that some RAF craft had brakes that were controlled by hand levers but I am not 100% sure.

Nonato
October 3rd, 2008, 06:43
Thank you, man...I have been wanting to know that for a looong time...:jump::applause:

Gizmokev
October 3rd, 2008, 09:47
I think that some RAF craft had brakes that were controlled by hand levers but I am not 100% sure.

The chipmunk was one....you had to dial in a little brake lever and then as you applied rudder it also gave a little brake.....stopped the old edge to edge wander down the runway. Differential braking it was called I think if memory serves me right.

Dont know what other aircraft used it but the chipmunk definately did. These old war birds remind me very much of them.....cant see over the nose when taxying.....shotgun cartridge to start...etc...ohh the old days....:d:d