PDA

View Full Version : Generic Host Process error

TARPSBird
December 19th, 2010, 11:14
Last night I attempted to install Google Earth after re-installing Windows XP Home earlier this week. In the process I received this error:
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"
Inconvenience hell, it's really screwed me over. I cancelled the install but now I continue to get the same error during routine tasks (like bringing up Sim Outhouse) and my computer has slowed down to a crawl. I've also been losing my sound (other than default system sounds). I tried System Restore, did a virus scan with AVG, ran CCleaner and un-installed Internet Explorer 8 but the problem persists. Does anybody know of a fix for this?

gigabyte
December 19th, 2010, 11:24
Last night I attempted to install Google Earth after re-installing Windows XP Home earlier this week. In the process I received this error:
"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"
Inconvenience hell, it's really screwed me over. I cancelled the install but now I continue to get the same error during routine tasks (like bringing up Sim Outhouse) and my computer has slowed down to a crawl. I've also been losing my sound (other than default system sounds). I tried System Restore, did a virus scan with AVG, ran CCleaner and un-installed Internet Explorer 8 but the problem persists. Does anybody know of a fix for this?

This type of error can be a real PAIN the main issue is identifying the real culprit, "Generic Host Process" does not tell you much. If you are familar with the Windows System Log you should be able to find the Problem child listed in the System or Apps logs. If you are not familar with scanning and reading the logs they will not be much help. If you are really stumped and want to send me the logs I will be happy to take a peek, or the other recomendation I would make is to do a "NO format re-install" of XP - it sounds drastic but believe me it works for most of these weird errors and in the long run can save hours.

The no format re-install will NOT remove any apps or your documents (I still back up before doing it tho, back-up, back-up back-up...) all it does is reinstall all of the windows system files and it rebuilds the registry. If there are any corrupt files on your system this will fix them (as long as the CD is good) and the process will rebuild the registry keeping all settings and only changing or updateing any entries that are corrupt.

I have a good tutorial on doing the No Format re-install if you want it let me know I will need to convert it to PDF but that is easy.

TARPSBird
December 19th, 2010, 20:14
gigabyte,
Thanks for your response. Yes, I'd like to have your tutorial on the No Format re-install procedure, I'll send you my e-mail address via PM. I can also send you my application and system logs, not sure what I'm looking at but there are some recurring errors including one on the system log which has repeated all day long, "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block." That doesn't sound very good.