PDA

View Full Version : 20mm AA Self Destructing Shell

O-1Driver
December 18th, 2010, 14:29
Good Evening Gentlemen,

I have put together a new Wirblewind armed with a more realistic 20mm AA gun that fires a self destructing shell. German used a lot of self destructing cannon shells in order to minimize friendly casualties on the ground.

Explosive AA 20mm cannon shells will self destruct if they do not hit their target and have only very small splinters unlike conventional flak shells. Explosive cannon shells unlike large 88mm flak shells need to strike your aircraft then explode to bring you down.

The new Wirblewind has bright small golf ball tracers with a highly visible smoke trail as they arc up at you and you can see the shell self destruct when it misses you. The smoke is different from a conventional flak shell and drifts and lingers and is not a puff ball.

The shell has an explosive effect if it hits your aircraft and a 2nd self destructing effect if it misses you. The rate of fire is very high and there is a lot drifting smoke and lots of tracers coming up at you.

Who can run a test mission for me so we can get this released in the Anzio package after Christmas. We will arm some ships with this new gun as well.

Best Regards
O-1

HouseHobbit
December 18th, 2010, 16:55
Hi Steve,
No problem I can set up the missions with them in there..
And run a test for you..I will check the FPT for these..
Thanks very Much..
:salute: :salute: :salute:

O-1Driver
December 19th, 2010, 05:55
Hi Steve,
No problem I can set up the missions with them in there..
And run a test for you..I will check the FPT for these..
Thanks very Much..
:salute: :salute: :salute:

Thanks Owen, the pack is on the FTP. You are already carrying a pretty heavy load with mission building and I was hoping that there was someone who could come on board and help us with testing. kasey used to do most of it for us but he is now doing the installers and carrying a big load also.

In addition most of us have scaled back to "part time" due to real life stuff and just don't have the time that we once had. When any of us work too hard at it it stops being fun and becomes work and we burn out. Development work, whether it is building aircraft, scenery, missions or effects is very time consuming and hard work. Additional help is always appreciated.

O-1

Old Tiger
December 19th, 2010, 08:06
:wavey: O-1 I'll check it out for ya, if want me to.:salute:

Len

lewis11777
December 19th, 2010, 09:57
Steve can we please get some pics to see what you have been working on!

O-1Driver
December 19th, 2010, 13:55
:wavey: O-1 I'll check it out for ya, if want me to.:salute:

Len

Thanks, I will pm you with the internal forum address and the FTP so you can get the files. The AA will need to be tested several times to check different damage models and FPS impact. Al is going to look at it this week when he gets home and we may also need some ships tested with the new guns.

Thanks again
Steve

O-1Driver
December 19th, 2010, 14:01
Steve can we please get some pics to see what you have been working on!

Hey Lewis, still photos don't really do it justice but maybe Mike can do a short video of the new shells. The new 20mm is not a flak shell and is like the 20mm shells fired by aircraft. A lot of the 20mm AA during WWII was not flak but these type of shells.

They are contact fused and have to hit you to hurt you. If they don't hit you they self destruct with a different explosion and smoke than a normal flak shell. I had originaly designed the shell for an aircraft armed with cannon but we never followed thru with it and installed them. On an aircraft they will pass by and explode beyond the target if you miss but explode normally if you hit the aircraft you are targeting.

Steve

O-1Driver
December 19th, 2010, 14:23
lewis, here are some still shots. In one of them you can see the small red tracers and the shells destructing the second before the smoke appears. the smoke drifts and fades unlike the standard black flak that does not look real. one of these days I need to rework all of the flak smoke to make it more realistic.

I think if we mix this flak in to some of the ships along with the new 5 inch flak in 1.4 it will make for a more realistic sky filled with flak.

Steve

Steve25915259142591825917

HouseHobbit
December 19th, 2010, 16:42
Hi Steve, Yea that is true..LOL..
I do have the time, I have the Allied missions for anzio about set up, and tommorrow I will have these finished..
Then to your new toys..
I do love new toys..
Thanks for all of this..
BRAVO..
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

lewis11777
December 19th, 2010, 17:27
Thanks Steve!

HouseHobbit
December 19th, 2010, 20:16
OH MY!!!
Steve this is GREAT...
Yea, I think this is going into all my missions for Anzio..
Re writes will follow..:applause:
WOW..
Great effect to put it mildly..

BRAVO To the Master..

I am impressed...:jawdrop:

alain95
December 19th, 2010, 23:34
One more step close to reality as I enjoy them !

Are there modifications to be done for the drivable Wirblewind to work with ?

Thank you 0-1

Old Tiger
December 20th, 2010, 08:12
Some O-1s new 20mm AA Self Destructing Shell screen shots.:jawdrop:Thanks Steve.:salute: