PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a C-130J Super Herc. fly like this?

Rattler
December 18th, 2010, 09:34
Found this Video of a Super Herc. OMFG!!!! I would love to take that Ride just Once:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg44YwQFV8Q&feature=related

Aviator32
December 18th, 2010, 11:01
Amazing!! :isadizzy:

Alan_A
December 18th, 2010, 21:25
The Blue Angels do a similar routine with Fat Albert, their C-130 transport, before the main show starts. Saw it at the Joint Services Open House at Andrews Air Force Base last May. Pretty amazing thing to see in the flesh.

Brian_Gladden
December 19th, 2010, 06:05
The Blue Angels do a similar routine with Fat Albert, their C-130 transport, before the main show starts. Saw it at the Joint Services Open House at Andrews Air Force Base last May. Pretty amazing thing to see in the flesh.

Yeah, but that old H (I think) Herk needs a Jato pack to do that climb. The J is a hotrod compared to the older models.

Also, another thing about the J's... no smoke!!

Older 130's smoke a lot. I saw one at KBTV once when I used to work there that reminded me of Pig Pen, the character from the Charlie Brown comics. at taxi, the thing had a cloud of exhaust all around it.

Alan_A
December 19th, 2010, 11:12
Yeah, but that old H (I think) Herk needs a Jato pack to do that climb. The J is a hotrod compared to the older models.

Also, another thing about the J's... no smoke!!

Older 130's smoke a lot. I saw one at KBTV once when I used to work there that reminded me of Pig Pen, the character from the Charlie Brown comics. at taxi, the thing had a cloud of exhaust all around it.

No JATO pack in evidence at Andrews... but the climb wasn't as steep or sustained either. So... point taken.

[After checking further]... According to THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Angels#Current_aircraft), JATO was dropped from Albert's routine in 2009 because rockets are in short supply. It ID's Albert as a C-130T.

All of which means I need to see a J do its thing sometime...

Warrant
December 19th, 2010, 11:52
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Reminds me a bit of a time in '95-96 in Bosnia. The agile C-130 freighter took me to Sarajevo approaching with a steep dive with loads of flares deployed. That was back in the "exiting" days at the Balkans (with respect to all who suffered back in those day's).

Starting to get/feel old remembering conflicts/situations i was in, and kid's at school learn about in history-class....:salute:

Railrunner130
December 19th, 2010, 14:36
The earlier, non-stretch airplanes can out manouver that. The stretch models such as that one not only weigh more (basic empty), but they also have a reduced power hydraulic system.

I've been on an H-model where we did some of those manouvers. However, I suspect that's a Lockheed demo/test pilot at the controls because I think we're prohibited from doing some of what was demonstrated.

middle
December 20th, 2010, 15:31
HOLY MOLY and GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!! all the physics and classifictaions and details aside,
that is amazing to me......I want that pilot on every flight I ever take again!!!

SolarEagle
December 20th, 2010, 20:28
Too bad the Captain Sim C-130 can't move like that.

Thanks for posting that.

AussieMan
December 20th, 2010, 22:27
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: