PDA

View Full Version : OK... Try this one? :)

IanP
December 18th, 2010, 03:14
I wasn't going to upload this one anywhere, as it was only done as a test while trying to fathom a flatten/exclude issue between my sceneries and Orbx's modifications. However, after seeing SADT's thread about getting the DC-2 into and out of Camp Banjo so easily (to be fair, the main problem with that one is a highly inappropriately placed and worryingly tall autogen tree...), I wondered whether anyone might like a go at this one?

Being the over-enthusiastic type that I am, I sort of invented a back-story for the place that it was originally built to supply logging operations, then when they stopped it was taken on by Rangers to look after the National Parks and when they went away it was taken over by a "Wilderness Survival Training" company as a basic training location. Of course, in reality it doesn't exist. It's just a bit of comparatively flat ground that I thought "Ooh, I'll see whether a flatten/exclude file works there". How that ended up as an airport is... well. Let's just say that any errors are down to a severe lack of sleep, shall we?

While you're crashing aircraft into trees, can people tell me if it works with their scenery configuration, please? I'm seriously low on testing time and development time is pretty much extinct for the foreseeable future. I know it works with my settings at Orbx PNW and with a little autogen exclude file mod, it seems to work with my settings on the default scenery.

So far, successful aircraft with "dense" autogen and zero wind have been the default C172SP, A2A AccuSim Cub (with Heidi on board in "scared" mode), Carenado C185 skis, Carenado C206 cargo, Aerosoft Beaver (too easy!) and... I think that's it. Notable failures have been any kind of Turboprop. The runway is way too short for them, even Lionheart's Kodiak.

So. Anyway. An easy flight out of Seattle to the East, plenty of room for a go-around as bush bashing places go... It's all default objects and techniques, although some of the objects may be from Accel and not show up in "vanilla" FSX. Comments and criticisms, please?

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/fictional/ipbt/IJP_IPBT.zip

Cheers,

Ian P.
(Now off to change yet another nappy...)

Thoe6969
December 18th, 2010, 04:51
I wasn't going to upload this one anywhere, as it was only done as a test while trying to fathom a flatten/exclude issue between my sceneries and Orbx's modifications. However, after seeing SADT's thread about getting the DC-2 into and out of Camp Banjo so easily (to be fair, the main problem with that one is a highly inappropriately placed and worryingly tall autogen tree...), I wondered whether anyone might like a go at this one?

Being the over-enthusiastic type that I am, I sort of invented a back-story for the place that it was originally built to supply logging operations, then when they stopped it was taken on by Rangers to look after the National Parks and when they went away it was taken over by a "Wilderness Survival Training" company as a basic training location. Of course, in reality it doesn't exist. It's just a bit of comparatively flat ground that I thought "Ooh, I'll see whether a flatten/exclude file works there". How that ended up as an airport is... well. Let's just say that any errors are down to a severe lack of sleep, shall we?

While you're crashing aircraft into trees, can people tell me if it works with their scenery configuration, please? I'm seriously low on testing time and development time is pretty much extinct for the foreseeable future. I know it works with my settings at Orbx PNW and with a little autogen exclude file mod, it seems to work with my settings on the default scenery.

So far, successful aircraft with "dense" autogen and zero wind have been the default C172SP, A2A AccuSim Cub (with Heidi on board in "scared" mode), Carenado C185 skis, Carenado C206 cargo, Aerosoft Beaver (too easy!) and... I think that's it. Notable failures have been any kind of Turboprop. The runway is way too short for them, even Lionheart's Kodiak.

So. Anyway. An easy flight out of Seattle to the East, plenty of room for a go-around as bush bashing places go... It's all default objects and techniques, although some of the objects may be from Accel and not show up in "vanilla" FSX. Comments and criticisms, please?

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/fictional/ipbt/IJP_IPBT.zip

Cheers,

Ian P.
(Now off to change yet another nappy...)Just downloaded and will install and give it a try when my morning running around is finished.It looks good and will be fun trying different planes.

Thoe6969
December 18th, 2010, 06:09
Just tried it out ,shur is a little tricky but fun.It works and looks great on my system ,a Dell I5 with Windows 7 64 bit and a Gforce 220 Nvidia card.

IanP
December 18th, 2010, 11:21
Thanks for that Thoe, I thought it was a fun little place after I'd made it, which is probably why it didn't stay as just being an insanely short gravel strip on a flatten. The runway did start out longer, but it didn't blend into the scenery as well. Nor did it prove my point about flattens, unfortunately. Still need to work on that if time ever permits.

The thing I really need looking at with it, if anyone else would care to look as well, is how it works with different peoples' autogen and mesh settings. I didn't get chance to look at that, but if people are running particularly high amounts of autogen or particularly low or high mesh densities, that can make a lot of difference with sceneries such as this one. Plus, if people like it, I may well start looking at making some custom signage and/or objects for it, if I get chance. If no-one is interested, I've got plenty of other things to keep my hands full. :)

Cheers,

Ian P.

Thoe6969
December 18th, 2010, 14:25
My settings are,Global Texture Resolution,Level Of Detail Radius,Mesh Complexity,Mesh Resolution,and Scenery Complexity all far right,with autogen Density at normal. Hope this helps.

SADT
December 18th, 2010, 14:49
Hi Ian,

I tried the DC-2X and it works marvelously.......... except when your engines catch fire on approach. The best way to clear the autogen tree is to stall it exactly over the tree, and the the DC-2 naturally does a perfect 3-pointer :wiggle: . Landed in about half the runway. Takeoff was sightly scarier, I used up 9/10ths of the runway, I will post screenshots when i can..... ;)